What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ?? 2005 Marquis Reward Silver Anniversary  (Read 4743 times)

bachman

?? 2005 Marquis Reward Silver Anniversary
« on: October 21, 2018, 02:36:04 am »
We had an offer of this tub (free) and were excited to take up the opportunity since we were thinking about shopping soon to get something in the near future. I'd done a bit of reading / research and my wife's boss heard of our plans and offered us his very well cared for tub since they are considering getting a new one and putting it inside their house. I think he just replaced some lights, recent ozonator but found the heater was tripping the breaker.
I now have it at our house (professional movers) and will have the heater in next week, wiring was completed yesterday and then will fill it and get it going. Only today, did I realize the two pumps are "160's" when I'd read the one was a lighter duty "130" and further reading tells me it is the Silver Anniversary model because of the matching pumps.
** Just wondering if there were any other upgrades, features or options that are part of the S.A. model ?  I suspect it's just the stronger pumps as it may be that options are often ala carte and I suppose we will know more as we get it operational. The donor of the tub was not the original buyer or he would be the one to ask per other features or highlights.
Anyways, excited to be a part of the HT community. We live in Colorado Springs and will be enjoying this tub soon. With the seasonal changes, it only makes it more fun to look forward to our first few soaks and getting to know more about it. We are in our mid 50's and really starting to think hydrotherapy is going to be very beneficial. 
Glad to be here and any thoughts or comments per new-to-tubbing or this model/brand is most welcome.
* Thanks to all for contributing time and information on these forums !
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 07:38:25 am by bachman »

Hot Tub Forum

?? 2005 Marquis Reward Silver Anniversary
« on: October 21, 2018, 02:36:04 am »

bud16415

Re: ?? 2005 Marquis Reward Silver Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 01:11:39 pm »
First off welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you got a great tub to get started with. Replacing the heater will likely solve the tripping problem. You said breaker and assuming you mean GFCI breaker. Make sure you have the proper rated breaker in your main panel feeding the tub and then per code a GFCI in site of the tub but far enough away to comply with code, 5’ or more if I remember correct.

I don’t know the particulars of your tub but Marquis is a great brand and you should get many years of enjoyment from it.

Getting started with taking care of the tub is always a little daunting and there are many methods people use. Once you get going come back with questions. What method did they use and what will you be using?

Winter is the best time to enjoy but also add a few challenges with snow and cold rain etc. We live in the snow belt up on Lake Erie and I added a pergola with a roof. We also have our tub just one or two steps from the house.

Good luck and you will love it. 

bachman

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 04:44:11 pm »
Thanks for the response bud.

The tub donor had an issue shortly after letting us know he'd give it to us. Still hooked up and running at his place, he unhooked the heater element from the circuit to test it and the breaker no longer tripped. As the colder temps were moving in, we talked about the pumps running from time to time on the normal sequence that should have kept things from freezing up at the 30 degree range. Then he drained it and added some RV anti freeze to the lower end pumps / plumbing.

Now at our place ('empty') for the past 4 days, I may stick a small light bulb under there if o/night temps warrant as I await the new heater part and plan on putting it in Weds or Thurs. Then it'll be 'filler up time', heat it up time and get the chemistry going. There's just something about having a hot tub out the kitchen window that makes the slight body creaks and aches come to mind so the plan to get it going is exciting but won't be rushed.  :)

This one has the spa frog feature and the ozonator so I assume we are safe in thinking we can run the lower side of additives ? City water here (I'm guessing) doesn't present any unique challenges.  Most use will be my wife and I and we've inherited the chemicals and filters to maintain things as has worked for the previous owners.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 04:47:59 pm by bachman »

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 12:30:03 am »
We were in ours this morning and it was wonderful as the nights are getting colder now.

The inline frog will take bromine or chlorine they call that @ease. We started with bromine and I didn’t care for it. The @ease is what I would use if I was going with the automatic method. I just leave ours empty and dose the tub based on usage. We have just found that method suits us better.

Shower before going in watch for oils and body lotions and if you use swimsuits make sure to rinse them good if you wash them in soap.

Good luck. I know the feeling looking out and the tub calls your name. Mine is calling right now. 

bachman

Update; Promising start-up on our freebie 2005 Marquis !
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 10:21:50 pm »
I'm not particularly handy nor overly pessimistic but I'm feeling like things are progressing as good as I could hope for.  8)
I have a new 240V source just in for the hot tub and testing it out would be this tub that has it's most recent history of tripping the other guys breaker with a suspected heater problem.  :o

I've been working extra shifts with a co-worker out for health issues and the past 2 weeks have been extra grandpa daycare kid-duty beyond my norm. In between all this, I've been putzing with the tub as I can get to it and finally as of today, it's filled and started up in the heating mode with no problems thus far. YAY!!

Background-  Monday's delivery of the part was 2 days earlier than expected and by Tuesday, I had the old heater element out. Nothing jumped out at me as proving it was 'bad' but having the new part in hand, I put that one in place hoping for the best. It was a snug fit and I kind of hoped the gasket on one side would either find it's way or I could get another set of hands helping me. Weds, I had the extra help of a friend but when I stuck my hands back in there, it almost fell into place so I snugged it up and (again) hoped for the best. The day was getting late Weds and I didn't want to start the fill so I waited until today to get to it.

I was watching the spa kit area with panel off hoping for no passive leaks or drips as the fill surprised me being only a tad over one hour. Also, still a bit nervous knowing the true test would be pumps in action with no leaks IF the breaker didn't trip !! Then I had to look at some of the step by step features and programming for various set up's and filtration and in doing so, realized the info I had thus far only mentioned the heating cycle during the pump sampling check and run every few hours for maintaining the set point. 
What about heating that would need to be continuous with 50 degree water after the fill ? I think some of my settings and steps was turning on the heat and pump cycle and others turning it off because I'd see the red HEAT light on at times and not others.
Finally, I realized I must have landed on the pump mode running continuous to meet the 50 degree rise needed before cycling off as the red light stayed on (I hope.)  I had to leave for work at the point the water was 67 degrees and up by 11 within 2 hours. Ambient temp outside was low to mid 50's today and the cover is on. Saturday, I'll have time to start the first phase of chemistry and this evening, more reading is in order - LOL

** What's the consensus on timing for getting a tub people-ready once filled and heated up ? I assume it's a few days to get things balanced and in order but maybe that's not realistic.

bud16415

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 11:18:34 pm »
Just to make sure your Breaker is a GFCI Breaker near the tub and it runs off a regular breaker in your main panel?

It takes my tub over night to come up to temp. I test the water throw in a tablespoon of dichlor, adjust the ph if needed and jump in. I know now pretty much where the chlorine level will be and don’t always test it. I know if we get in for say an hour, I just add a tablespoon, run the clean cycle close it up and go to bed. If we don’t get in it for a day and I didn’t add any I give it a shot the next day. I test the water with a strip about twice a week. Don’t worry to much about keeping the level perfect a little high wont be a problem.

Hope you are enjoying it now.

bachman

2005 Marquis Reward Silver Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 12:32:43 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  Breaker, GFCI and main panel all as you stated and by codes for location etc...

I'll try to keep it that simple with chemicals.  :)  and be home in the morning to check on the cycling / heating so it has this overnight to do it's thing.  I have limited time to devote to the chemistry Saturday although Sunday and beyond looks to settle down. 

** Is it okay to begin with the Spa frog items and a shock treatment to start,  then test strips after a few hours to see what needs a bump up or down ?   

Looking at the inline spa frog mine has and the products associated, I guess I can choose smart chlor or bromine to pair with the mineral additive although I have inherited some of those products and bunch of other stuff as well. Bromine was the preference for the other owner so we'll see how it gets a long with us since we have a supply. The one item I don't have and would have thrown in there yesterday was a sequestering agent but I'm on city water that is probably 'good'. Maybe I won't need it and judging by the inventory I inherited, I'll bet the other owner didn't use it or at least none is left over.

bud16415

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 10:00:16 am »
With bromine you add a packet or two depending on the size of the tub of bromine starter. Do this right after or as soon as you can. It starts the bromine bank and then the frog system slowly adds to it. Bromine will return to the tub after it kills what’s in the tub and when you shock it with non chlorine shock. For me bromine was more to keep track of and it would fluctuate more. You may have better luck. Most people I talk to now have went with the @ease chlorine product. If you have unopened cartridges of bromine most spa places will trade you back if you are switching over. At least ask.

Switching from bromine to chlorine requires a fully rinsed out tub because bromine likes to convert chlorine to bromine.

City water is normally cleaned up pretty good and you should be good with just filling it from the hose.

The mineral cartridges to me don’t do much if anything and I stopped using them when the free ones ran out. I haven’t noticed a difference.   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 10:00:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42