What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa without power - freezing components?  (Read 2608 times)

sundancer

Spa without power - freezing components?
« on: October 13, 2018, 05:42:18 pm »
I have a Sundance Altamar 850 that is currently sitting at a vacation home, without power (property runs on generator, which is off).  I'm concerned about freeze damage to the components outside the tub before I get back to reheat the spa.  The exact situation is:

Mon, 10/8 - Tub at 102.  Turned power off, put spa cover on.

This week we'll have highs in the 50s with lows around freezing.
Two nights, however, the forecast has turned unexpectedly colder - lows between 20 and 25 degrees, with daytime highs in the 30s. 
I'll be back at the end of the week to turn power back on and heat the spa, but I'm not sure if I need to go back sooner with the colder forecast.

In this situation, is the water outside the body of the tub, such as in the plumbing lines, pumps, etc. in danger of freezing? My experience so far has been that the water is still in the 70s when I get back after a week away, but I'm now second guessing the vulnerability of the other components.

Any advice appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Spa without power - freezing components?
« on: October 13, 2018, 05:42:18 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Spa without power - freezing components?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 07:36:05 am »
I have a Sundance Altamar 850 that is currently sitting at a vacation home, without power (property runs on generator, which is off).  I'm concerned about freeze damage to the components outside the tub before I get back to reheat the spa.  The exact situation is:

Two nights, however, the forecast has turned unexpectedly colder - lows between 20 and 25 degrees, with daytime highs in the 30s. 
I'll be back at the end of the week to turn power back on and heat the spa, but I'm not sure if I need to go back sooner with the colder forecast.

In this situation, is the water outside the body of the tub, such as in the plumbing lines, pumps, etc. in danger of freezing? My experience so far has been that the water is still in the 70s when I get back after a week away, but I'm now second guessing the vulnerability of the other components.

Any advice appreciated.

That is very close. Normally 25-35 is OK for a few days. The warmth from the vessel will help protect the lines and components. But for an extended length of time you are risking damage.
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 07:30:08 pm »

Any advice appreciated.

You care most about the water in the hoses in that equipment compartment, not the main body of water that is still 70º. That's why some people will put an old fashioned light bulb running in there if they can't power up the tub for but you can't do that. You're taking a chance for sure depending on how low the temp gets outside because low 30s is ok but then you're getting in trouble below there and of course time matters to a degree.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

sundancer

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 11:27:49 am »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I ended up making an extra trip there yesterday to winterize.

bradleyabell

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 03:50:43 pm »
What are the options if you are without power for days to keep spa and components above freezing?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 04:25:14 pm »
What are the options if you are without power for days to keep spa and components above freezing?

You have 2 options, drain and winterize or maintain a small heat source inside the cabinet. Depending on how long.

Generally power is only off for a few hours so no big deal keep it tightly closed. In extreme cold this method will work for several hours maybe even a day in 20-30 deg weather. You contingency plan should include a drain and winterize if you anticipate more than a day depending on the expected outside ambient. A small heat source (trouble light or small heater) strategically placed inside the equipment bay to remain safe can extend for several days or even longer a power outage. But then you need a small generator.

I live in northern Minnesota and during extreme cold our power has NEVER in 60 years gone out for more than a few hours and my house took priority over my tub.

There are a ton of variables.
Retired

coldnh

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 09:53:21 am »
Consider yourself lucky, Southern NH here and losing power for more then 3 days at a time is normal occurrence. Doesn't help that I'm a mile down a private dirt road. Generators are a must for us.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 09:53:21 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42