What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bullfrog/Arctic/Marquis  (Read 386 times)

CharlieCanuck

Bullfrog/Arctic/Marquis
« on: October 10, 2018, 04:40:47 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen,

We are in the market for a new tub.  Our research has pushed us in the direction of the above manufacturers.  We've scoured these forums and do not find ourselves any closer to making a decision.

We are in Ontario.  Good insulation is important to us.  We do not have any specific therapeutic needs beyond some lower back pain.  We are looking for a 6-8 person tub that we will use mainly for relaxing and occasionally entertaining.

We would love to talk to anyone who might have words of wisdom (recommendation or warning or otherwise) about these brands.   We'd also love to speak to any recent purchasers of these brands especially people who considered these same brands.

Hope to hear from you soon.  Many thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

Bullfrog/Arctic/Marquis
« on: October 10, 2018, 04:40:47 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Bullfrog/Arctic/Marquis
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 04:54:08 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen,

We are in the market for a new tub.  Our research has pushed us in the direction of the above manufacturers.  We've scoured these forums and do not find ourselves any closer to making a decision.

We are in Ontario.  Good insulation is important to us.  We do not have any specific therapeutic needs beyond some lower back pain.  We are looking for a 6-8 person tub that we will use mainly for relaxing and occasionally entertaining.

We would love to talk to anyone who might have words of wisdom (recommendation or warning or otherwise) about these brands.   We'd also love to speak to any recent purchasers of these brands especially people who considered these same brands.

Hope to hear from you soon.  Many thanks in advance.

You're looking at a big expensive hot tub, wet test each and often that will help you make the right decision. Wet testing is NOT just about the feel of the jets but just as importantly (or more) its about the fit of the spa to those who use it most (seat height/width, foot well, where the jets hit you ...).

If you were down to 3 cars you liked you'd test drive all 3 of them to help make a decision.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

MarKee

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 04:19:42 am »
I think forum member “Michael Russell” just did a lot of shopping around and wet testing in Ontario and ended up with a Marquis. He might be in your same area, maybe even working with the same dealer.  I would send him a private message or perhaps he will respond in this thread.

swilly1000

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 06:45:04 am »
I am in Toronto and just took delivery on a master Twilight series 8.25 and love it so far.  Michael Russell and I PM'ed a bit and I know he researched his Marquis purchase thoroughly.  He was also considering Master and guessing he will be willing to help you.

Do a search on his posts.  There's some good stuff there.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 09:13:48 am »
Ladies and gentlemen,

We would love to talk to anyone who might have words of wisdom (recommendation or warning or otherwise) about these brands.

Welcome to the forum!  I could have posted that same message 15 years ago.   I seldom am accused of having any wisdom, but most people plan on having the whole family over and occasional entertaining.  Our first tub was a 7 person tub and 99% of the time it was just 3 of us, then our daughter grew up and moved away.  Now in our 5 person smaller tub its just my wife and I 99% of the time. 

Michael Russell

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 07:13:16 pm »
I just spent a good couple months researching many brands. I shared a lot of what I learned in the tread I started. https://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,23549.0.html

I was originally looking mainly at a few local dealer, Beachcomber, Jacuzzi, Arctic and hydropool.  Being in Ontario Insulation became a major research factor for me. Watch some of the videos done by hottubeuniversity.com. Here is his video on insulation - https://youtu.be/4XhgwOQKQFs.  Despite his negative attitude towards arctic I think they have enough perimeter foam to be pretty good. Not positive about bullfrog but I am pretty sure they are full foam insulation. I went with Marquis. There upper end line is full foam and it is an option on there lower lines (its a must in my mind).

I was personally drawn to Arctic for the salt water. I am not sold that its a better option, but I was interested in the reduced water changes. In the end I have mostly concluded that I can get close to the same life out of my water through reduced chemical usage and enzymes. I have not got the tub yet so I am not sure this is entirely true... I have lots to learn about water chemistry. Arctic will sell you the moon though and tell you that there Spa boy is completely hands off. Having talked to a few owner I believe that there is just as much work in Salt as there is in other systems. Neither are super hard and take a bit of time and patients to learn.

In the end I came down to master, Marquis and Artisian. I did not find anyone hands down the best. They were all decent tubs. I did wet test in all three. I ended up with the Marquis as I found it the most comfortable and like the dealer (VERY IMPORTANT I think).

What area of Ontario are you from?

Cheers,

Mike

Andocrx

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 08:44:00 pm »
I just spent a good couple months researching many brands. I shared a lot of what I learned in the tread I started. https://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,23549.0.html

I was originally looking mainly at a few local dealer, Beachcomber, Jacuzzi, Arctic and hydropool.  Being in Ontario Insulation became a major research factor for me. Watch some of the videos done by hottubeuniversity.com. Here is his video on insulation - https://youtu.be/4XhgwOQKQFs.  Despite his negative attitude towards arctic I think they have enough perimeter foam to be pretty good. Not positive about bullfrog but I am pretty sure they are full foam insulation. I went with Marquis. There upper end line is full foam and it is an option on there lower lines (its a must in my mind).

I was personally drawn to Arctic for the salt water. I am not sold that its a better option, but I was interested in the reduced water changes. In the end I have mostly concluded that I can get close to the same life out of my water through reduced chemical usage and enzymes. I have not got the tub yet so I am not sure this is entirely true... I have lots to learn about water chemistry. Arctic will sell you the moon though and tell you that there Spa boy is completely hands off. Having talked to a few owner I believe that there is just as much work in Salt as there is in other systems. Neither are super hard and take a bit of time and patients to learn.

In the end I came down to master, Marquis and Artisian. I did not find anyone hands down the best. They were all decent tubs. I did wet test in all three. I ended up with the Marquis as I found it the most comfortable and like the dealer (VERY IMPORTANT I think).

What area of Ontario are you from?

Cheers,

Mike

hey Mike if you dont mind us asking how much did the Marquis run you ? How many people tub did you go with.

thanks

Michael Russell

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 08:36:21 am »
 Andocrx...

I live in Southern Ontario. I went to three different Marquis Dealers. Two quoted me $15k+tax for the tub. The dealer I picked was a no haggle price of $11500 +tax and options. I threw in with some lighting, cover lifter and $300 for delivery. 

hey Mike if you dont mind us asking how much did the Marquis run you ? How many people tub did you go with.
thanks

CharlieCanuck

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 08:58:39 am »
I am presently unable to send PMs.  Maybe I am too new.

In any event, Michael Russell, I read your series of posts, and unless I missed it, I did not see where (why) you ruled out Arctic.

Please let me know.

Michael Russell

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 09:33:06 pm »
Arctic..

I was not over the moon about the dealer when I was in there. A subjective item as you will likely be at a different dealer then me.

Price wise they were bit higher then the comparables I picked. I am not a fan of their cedar siding that needs refinishing. It cost extra to go into the composites.

Looking at Hottubuniversity.com and his review of the Arctic brand... I believe the insulation on the Arctic is pretty decent despite Chris saying it is inadequate. His concerns about proprietary parts is what pushed me away though. Most of the parts in the Arctic you are stuck with buy from Arctic. I priced a few options out and they seemed expensive compared to other standard items. Chris also feels that all the water joints should be clamped. Arctic does not clamp but glues only. Not sure this is the end of the world. The advantage with the Arctic insulation is that you can access all the joints and fix a lot easier then a full tub insulation.

I still like the Arctic salt water system. The dealer would have you believe that you don't have to do anything with water chemistry that their spa boy does it all. Its not true. I still think its a decent system and probably the best salt system available direct from the manufacturer.

In the end though it was looking to be 2 - 3k extra to be in an Arctic tub. The only advantage in my mind was the Spa Boy Salt System. And it just would not pay for itself. The big negative being proprietary parts.

Cheers,

mike

I am presently unable to send PMs.  Maybe I am too new.

In any event, Michael Russell, I read your series of posts, and unless I missed it, I did not see where (why) you ruled out Arctic.

Please let me know.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 09:33:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2018, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42