What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Nordic Warrior has small crack  (Read 3481 times)

Andymon

Nordic Warrior has small crack
« on: August 20, 2018, 06:28:37 pm »
Our Nordic Warrior which is 25 years old, give or take, has been a great tub. We've only had to replace the pump in all those years. We now have a small crack about 3/4" long about 2" below the filled water line and it leaks into the pump area. This is a plastic tube. A local spa place said they couldn't do anything other than some silicone on both sides and let it cure for at least a couple days. Is there anything else that could be done if this doesn't work?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Nordic Warrior has small crack
« on: August 20, 2018, 06:28:37 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Nordic Warrior has small crack
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 07:01:29 pm »
 You could try some kind of 2 part epoxy, tough thing is with those spa's it's hard to get stuff to stick to it.   On a 25 year old spa, anything you try is not going to hurt.   It will either work or it wont. 

jjackkrash

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 10:21:44 pm »
What material is the shell made out of? 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 10:49:00 pm »
Our Nordic Warrior which is 25 years old, give or take, has been a great tub. We've only had to replace the pump in all those years. We now have a small crack about 3/4" long about 2" below the filled water line and it leaks into the pump area. This is a plastic tube. A local spa place said they couldn't do anything other than some silicone on both sides and let it cure for at least a couple days. Is there anything else that could be done if this doesn't work?

Thanks!

Do you have a Nordic dealer nearby?  If so see if he has a sample of whatever color you Tub you have and with a heat gun melt it into the spot then wait for it to harden and fill it up. Usually takes a couple hours to cure completely. I have fixed a few Nordics by doing this. It doesn’t look great but at least the colors match and it is a lasting fix.

bradleyabell

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 07:14:21 am »

Thanks!

The fact that you've gotten 25 years out of a tub with no major issues is no small feat!  Hopefully one of the solutions provided works and you get another few years out of it!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 11:05:38 am »

That is the question we need to know. If it is a roto-molded polyethylene shell (as we expect) then any epoxy or silicone will not adhere and I don't just mean "won't adhere well", it flat out will come off pretty quickly. If it is acrylic shell (did they make any of them back then?) you can use a 2-prt epoxy which will seal it as long as you're ok with it looking like you put a band-aid on it.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 10:52:43 am »
I have never had any one of our customers successfully fix a crack in a Nordic shell

Andymon

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 11:51:54 am »
Well, Nordic said they couldn't recommend anything and that silicone might last a year. I'm now wondering if I could drill a hole slightly larger than the crack and put some sort of plug in it. For now, I'll give the silicone a try.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 07:51:43 pm »
I doubt silicone would adhere to it very well. I would think you would have better luck with 2 part epoxy but i haven’t tried that before.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 07:53:02 pm »

That is the question we need to know. If it is a roto-molded polyethylene shell (as we expect) then any epoxy or silicone will not adhere and I don't just mean "won't adhere well", it flat out will come off pretty quickly. If it is acrylic shell (did they make any of them back then?) you can use a 2-prt epoxy which will seal it as long as you're ok with it looking like you put a band-aid on it.

It’s a poly shell. They never made acrylic.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 02:39:29 pm »

Thanks!

I've fixed cracks in plastic with a solder gun. Not all plastics react the same? Just throwing it out there, it's a commitment.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 02:39:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42