What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bullfrog Spa Warranty Replacement - Upgrade Fee?  (Read 5917 times)

jmbeebe0722

Bullfrog Spa Warranty Replacement - Upgrade Fee?
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:34:58 am »
Hi All,

We have a Bullfrog A8L that is not even three years old yet. We recently noticed an issue that has been diagnosed by our dealer as "crazing", basically the three layers of acrylic in the spa shell have began to separate. This has been consider a material defect and Bullfrog has agreed to warranty the tub, however not for fee. They are wanting to assess a $1,800 upgrade fee to cover the cost of the additional technology they have added since the hot tub was new (brushed stainless jets, new valve and gasket mechanisms, extra lights..etc) That is all great stuff, but the fact of the matter is I am not asking for a new tub for the fun of it, the deemed mine defective. 

After spending a LARGE amount of money on the best Bullfrog offers, we are having a hard time ponying up more money to get upgraded technology when in reality we were happy with our tub. We are well within our warranty and they have agreed to replace it. Just wanting to see if this is standard practice

Hot Tub Forum

Bullfrog Spa Warranty Replacement - Upgrade Fee?
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:34:58 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Bullfrog Spa Warranty Replacement - Upgrade Fee?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 11:03:29 am »
  That sounds more like the dealer ripping you more then then Bullfrog.   They had issues about a year ago, very thing you are describing, surprised it didn't happen sooner.   We replaced them with no cost to the consumer.  Bullfrog did charge us for the new spa, but we were reimbursed by them once the bad spa was sent back.   Basically like for like.   They even covered for the most part the pick up and delivery to the house that we covered.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 12:08:40 pm »
If I were gaining 3 years newer on my spa I might be ok with a small charge if it included features my old spa didn't have (which is a far better way to say it than "additional technology") and for the fact in theory it'll now last 3 years longer but not $1800!! I'd also ask if this is truly a new 2018 and not a refurbished spa they took back from someone else under warranty and turned around?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

d00nut

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:20:11 pm »
Double check if it is the dealer.

My inclination is to say it is Bullfrog, because they did the same thing to me a year ago.  What ended up happening (since I took over the territory for another dealer) is Bullfrog decided to bypass me because I refused to charge the customer and they dealt with the Customer directly.

jmbeebe0722

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 02:57:49 pm »
Double check if it is the dealer.

My inclination is to say it is Bullfrog, because they did the same thing to me a year ago.  What ended up happening (since I took over the territory for another dealer) is Bullfrog decided to bypass me because I refused to charge the customer and they dealt with the Customer directly.

It most definitely Bullfrog. I spoke with their Retail Services Manager so explained this is for new technology and depreciation of my tub. We agreed on basically $1,500 but I would not be charged freight, set-up, or delivery. He also is allowing us to change the jetpacks and shell color of the spa with the replacement, as well as throwing in the WiFi system and stereo at no charge. Lastly, he is will restart the warranty to act as the spa was just purchased. Basically we get to re-order just as if we were buy it new with some upgraded and new warranty.

We still aren't happy about paying for it of course, but at least he did things that would help create some bit of value to cost. 

d00nut

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 03:06:14 pm »
That sucks...

My take... warranty should be warranty... 100%.  At least they are restarting the warranty.  Essentially, you are trading in your old spa for a new one for $1500 after 3 years.

Please note to everyone reading this.  I think Bullfrog is a great product.  The company still is "young" in the sense they do stupid stuff like this. 

jmbeebe0722

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 03:35:12 pm »
I 100% agree with it. I was so frustrated starting this process. I had zero fault in this but have to pony up a good chunk of money.

The only way I help justify it in my brain is that the extras help soothe the cost. The way we looked at it, we could keep what he had and hoped it never created a serious issue and buy a new one then which today is going to cost $12K-$14k for a similar tub from any reputable brand or spend $1,500 now to fix the issue. I did make them realize that if this had to be warrantied again for the same issue in the shell, I will NOT pay another upgrade fee at that time.

HT34

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 04:05:16 pm »
Sorry to hear about your situation.  How exactly does their warranty read for issues such as this?  On one hand, yeah, they are somewhat trying to make it right.  But, on the other hand, you have to pay quite a bit of money to make something right when you possibly shouldn't have to pay anything at all.  If the latter is true, then it is pretty lame on their part to do this as a company.

Beck0101

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 04:23:21 pm »
Prior to adding potential misinformation to the internet it may have been easier to read your warranty.  Bullfrog is performing "above and beyond" at this point.  Though your dealer could surely do a better job of making you feel that way.

Bullfrog reserves the right to repair or replace your spa with a spa of "equal or lesser value" if you have a covered defect.  Further, they also stipulate the owner (you) is responsible for removal, shipping and delivery of the replacement spa.

To the letter of the contract you are getting a pretty great deal if they are delivering the new spa for free.  Rejoice!

jmbeebe0722

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 04:40:43 pm »
Prior to adding potential misinformation to the internet it may have been easier to read your warranty.  Bullfrog is performing "above and beyond" at this point.  Though your dealer could surely do a better job of making you feel that way.

Bullfrog reserves the right to repair or replace your spa with a spa of "equal or lesser value" if you have a covered defect.  Further, they also stipulate the owner (you) is responsible for removal, shipping and delivery of the replacement spa.

To the letter of the contract you are getting a pretty great deal if they are delivering the new spa for free.  Rejoice!

Yes, delivering the spa for free is a great benefit.. With that said, the warranty does not state that to replace the spa in the event of a covered defect that you will be responsible for depreciation on the existing spa (basically prorating the warranty) Essentially I am paying to get the exact same spa due to a manufacturer defect.

That said, the perks and extras Bullfrog is offering is to help justify that price tag to basically get a new spa without defect. I will say the extra and perks were very nice, which is why we let it go and are accepting to pay the cost. Still frustrating though, as truthfully I would rather just pay the $300 for delivery and get exactly what I paid for to being with.

d00nut

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 06:07:52 pm »
Bullfrog is performing "above and beyond" at this point.  Though your dealer could surely do a better job of making you feel that way. 

Ummm... It's warrantied.  Maybe freight?  Maybe.  Or if it was a crane job, you could charge more.  No matter how I look at this, I don't think the customer should pay for "upgraded technology" for the same dang hot tub.  BTW... from 2016 to 2018, Bullfrog made the touch screen standard on A Series.  That is it.  Definitely not a $1500 or $1800 upgrade.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 08:27:37 pm »

Lol. It’s not her dealer she/he is dealing direct with Bullfrog corporate. I have had to replace 1 tub in my days as a dealer. I paid for delivery and hookup as well as removing old Tub. Manufacturer paid for new tub and freight. This case has nothing to do with dealer. This one falls direct on Bullfrog

Beck0101

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 07:50:21 am »
I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.  The tub you're getting is not "of equal or lesser value".  They cost more today than they did 3 years ago with some new bells and whistles per your post?  If that wasn't an acceptable level of risk you could have potentially made different decisions when purchasing the spa.  I wonder what some of the other manufacturers warranties look like?

More shocking is the fact that you had this issue.  Bullfrog seems to be one of the more reliable brands out there.  Must have been a spa built on a Friday before a holiday :)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 01:16:17 pm »
  I think why ours were different is because they were all brand new spa's being within 3 months of delivery.   That said as a company we would have eaten the cost.    I still think B,frog did good by you!      Now don't get mad if and when the stereo or speaker fails. 

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 05:53:36 pm »
I find it fascinating that its crazing in only 3 years. 

I have not the direct experience with Bullfrog and this may be an isolated instance (even outstanding products will have a lemon from time to time) but that is 100% a manufacturers' defect, as it rooted in the acrylic shell, the way the tub is vacuum-formed, and whatever resin/glass content and application process they use.  To charge for updates that has nothing to do with the customer, in such a short time, doesn't have the best optics. 

I understand Beck0101's point.  Technically- this is how it is spelled out.  But again, the optics on this are bad.  Its unfortunate that one of the largest spa manufacturers are going to hold you to $1800 after you did drop a large amount of money on the tub, when the defect isn't of your own doing.  Sometimes, the "cost of doing business" is preferred over a (relatively) small amount of money they are asking.  People notice the negatives more than the positives. 

Sorry you are having this issue- with the original spa and with the replacement process.  Bullfrog tends to have a great reputation so that is unfortunate.  Good luck moving forward.

EDIT:  Spelling

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 05:53:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42