What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Solar or Grid ? - Please help me figure watts !!  (Read 1837 times)

Pixiemoss

Solar or Grid ? - Please help me figure watts !!
« on: July 11, 2018, 10:24:09 pm »
So my family is moving into a yurt and I would love to bring my beloved hot tub. Ya funny I know,  but I am sure ya 'll can relate..lol.

It is an older hot springs prodigy from 1992. The manual says it is 115 volts , 1.5 kw heater.

We are trying to decide if it financially feasible to do solar ( go ahead and laugh!!!) and if not , what size wire would we need to bring electricity to it, assuming it was the biggest load we would have. Everyone I ask says I need to k know the amps first ,  before we can answer the questions.

So my question is...does anyone know how to figure how many amps a 115 volt hot tub with 1.5 kw heater would draw ? I cannot see the label on the pump as its worn.  I got the above info from the manual.

Any advice or thought are much appreciated.
- Feather 

Hot Tub Forum

Solar or Grid ? - Please help me figure watts !!
« on: July 11, 2018, 10:24:09 pm »

Gravelydude

Re: Solar or Grid ? - Please help me figure watts !!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 10:33:42 pm »
A 120V hot tub is going to draw just short of 20 amps. As to your initial question - solar or grid -   Grid!  The heater alone will draw 1500 Watts (or 12+ amps). Volts x Amps = Watts. Sorry, I don’t think that off-grid yurts and hot tubs are compatible.

Jack

Pixiemoss

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 11:01:29 pm »
So is that 20 amps per day or hour ?

Marco P

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 01:59:28 am »
20 amps at all times is required. if on solar that means no hot tub at night, or anytime.

Gravelydude

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 07:54:47 pm »
If you are going to have an off-grid yurt, you will most likely have to have a fuel-burning source to heat  the hot tub (think wood). And then, you will have to decide if you want your refrigerator to run, or your hot tub pump. It is my personal belief that off grid living and hot tubs are mutually exclusive.  Nothing is impossible, but some things are highly improbable.

Jack

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 07:54:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42