What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub base?  (Read 2260 times)

Dougstermd

Hot tub base?
« on: June 09, 2018, 11:44:18 am »
After trying to research the best base etc for hot tubs I still undecided. This is the hot springs model G from the year 2000. I’m installing at ground level beside of an existing deck/ large stair landing. I have seen a YouTube video where the professional installer uses a frame of 2x4s with doubled 2x4s under each support of the tub bottom plat for. From an engineering point of view this seems like a very good solution. Having no experience installing hot tubs I have no clue.

I did search the forums before starting this thread and could not find a similar topic???
Thanks for any input in advance

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub base?
« on: June 09, 2018, 11:44:18 am »

Sam

Re: Hot tub base?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 12:23:42 pm »
I'm a fan of the inexpensive, easy, "gravel box" which is literally a frame made of 2x4 or 2x6 that you fill in with 3/4" to 1" crushed rock.  The box should be sized so that the hot tub sits on the rock only and is uniformly supported.  I like that size of rock because it reaches 85% compaction under its own weight.  Smaller sized rock can be sort of spongy. 

Dougstermd

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 03:57:28 pm »
I was also considering a gravel box for the exact reason of compaction. Also with a slightly over sized gravel box  I don’t have to be as precise with tub placement. When you gravel are you talking about river stone or granite/ blue stone ?

Sam

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 04:36:52 pm »
I would go with granite because it's less expensive, but either will work.

Dougstermd

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 08:27:10 pm »
Well as it turns out apparently granite is not so available here in this area according to the guy I talked to who gave me a great deal on sand two years ago for the pool. Funny all the state Forrest roads and the local bar are all covered in granite. He was suggesting crush and run which means different things in different localities. His description was a fine powdery mix that is easily compacted. I am going to stop by the shop and see what he is talking about but I think he is talking about is not gravel as I know gravel.

Dougstermd

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 04:29:50 pm »
Ok I think my easiest choice is a base / 2x4s grid system I have the foot print size from the hot springs owners manual does anyone Ha the dimensions for the location of all the wooden supports under the tub or trying to avoid flipping the tub on edge again. Flipping it is probably my best option to get a good set of dimensions.
Btw it’s a hot springs grandee model G year 2000.

Sam

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 05:00:37 pm »
If you are filling the box with granite you don't need to line up wood with supports.  The wood is just a frame to contain the gravel.  The hot tub is supported by the rock only.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 05:00:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42