What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub pump tripping GFCI  (Read 8000 times)

gmdodt

Hot tub pump tripping GFCI
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:41:21 am »
I think I narrowed down my GFCI tripping problem with my 2016 caldera vanto.  The tub was tripping the breaker randomly every week or two, but worked perfectly fine.  I unplugged pump 2 (the one speed pump) and have let it sit a number of weeks and it hasn't tripped (the other pump was already replaced under warranty for a leak). 

So - seeing as pumps are $350-450, is there anything I can do to fix it?  It doesn't appear to be leaking anywhere.  Why would it randomly trip the GFCI when the tub is not in use, but I can use both pumps as much as I wanted when I'm actually using the tub without it tripping.  Seems odd.... All the wiring looks fine..nothing loose or corroded that I can see

I guess I could plug it back in and run some electrical tests on it, yea?  making sure amps/volts, etc are correct.  It doesn't make any funny sounds or anything. Fires right up when started.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub pump tripping GFCI
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:41:21 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hot tub pump tripping GFCI
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 01:38:15 pm »
 About the only thing you could really change is the capacitor.  Did you plug the pump back in and run for a week to see if it trips again?   

gmdodt

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 06:57:36 pm »
Sadly, and as always, I may have spoke to soon. After about 2.5 weeks of it being unplugged I came home today and it had tripped. Now it did storm and lose power today so maybe that caused it?  Hoping that's the case but I can't  see the parallel. Power  has flickered in storms before and it hasn't tripped...

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:24:39 pm by gmdodt »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 09:02:33 pm »
 Honestly I would say it could very well have been the storm.    Considering it hadn't tripped for 2 plus weeks, didn't it usually trip before that time frame when the pump was hooked up? 

gmdodt

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 10:50:19 pm »
Hard to say..sometimes it would only take a week, sometime two. Guess I'll just restart the testing phase and hope the power doesn't go out again. Breaker went to the tripped position, not completely off...if that matters. I always thought middle meant it had a ground fault and completely off meant it was overloaded

Sam

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 01:52:58 pm »
If it's a 2016 spa isn't still under warranty?

gmdodt

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 03:36:38 pm »
No, its not. about 2 or 3 months out of it.  Had the primary pump replaced under warranty while it was happening in hopes that it would fix it as it was visibly leaking.  It lasted for a few weeks then tripped, so he came back and actually that visit itself was not under warranty (but they didn't charge) and he tried to do more troubleshooting but everything was working perfectly.  It's impossible to replicate, so its damn near impossible to troubleshoot.

Like I said, I guess I just wait a few more weeks and see if it trips again on a day where there is no power outages/bad storms

Sam

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 02:58:02 pm »
It certainly sounds like pump 2.  I bet if you ask nicely they will hook you up.  I know that if I have a customer who's a month or 2 out of warranty we can get authorization from the factory to cover things.  Caldera is a good company and I bet they'd do it.  If the dealer won't, call the factory direct.  Maybe you can just get them to send you a pump and you swap it yourself. 

gmdodt

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 03:18:20 pm »
its been well over a month since they've been here.  I am just thankful they didnt bill me for the last trip that was unknowingly out of warranty.  I think there still needs to be some time before proving its pump 2 since I cant tell if the last trip was due to power outage or not..at that time itll be three + months out of warranty.  At this point, i dont even care about the cost (i can install the pump myself), i just want to know what the problem is and fix it.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 08:07:18 am »
No, its not. about 2 or 3 months out of it.  Had the primary pump replaced under warranty while it was happening in hopes that it would fix it as it was visibly leaking.  It lasted for a few weeks then tripped, so he came back and actually that visit itself was not under warranty (but they didn't charge) and he tried to do more troubleshooting but everything was working perfectly.

If he replaced the pump and that didn't fix it, then your problem that was reported while under warranty should still be under warranty.  I'm sure they could talk to the manufacturer and explain the situation. 

gmdodt

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 06:10:18 pm »
Well I didn't call the spa store it was bought from, but I did send an inquiry/email to Caldera on Friday evening.  Waiting to hear back now.  I agree, if it started under warranty then it should be honored; however, I could also sense pushback since they can't replicate the issue/prove my troubleshooting since you have to leave it disconnected for weeks...

gmdodt

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 06:15:20 pm »
What timing. I'll tell ya. As soon as I posted the last comment, I got an email back from Caldera asking me to contact the dealer and put them in touch with Caldera...Maybe things are looking up - as long as the second pump truly is the culprit!

gmdodt

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 10:23:04 pm »
As an update...the pump is still unplugged and the spa hasn't tripped since the storm. I contacted caldera and they talked to the dealer. They said they'd be willing to replace the pump, won't pay for the labor, and would only do so if the issue can be measured/replicated...which it can't since it's a nuisance trip. Kind of aggravating. Still not 100% it is pump 2 as my testing phase hasn't had enough time but so far so good. I don't understand what could be wrong as the pump works perfectly fine when being manually used and it isn't used to filter..(to my knowledge)..so I'm not sure why it would cause nuisance trip? Tech said on phone that it could just be coincidence and that unplugging stuff doesn't mean it's the actual component....could be that it's just drawing less etc..

I don't know anymore. Been trying to diagnose this for 4 months now. Very depressing. Certainly wish I never bought it

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 01:23:25 pm »
 The tech is partially right, but you have to start somewhere, and it's called "nuisance" tripping for a reason.   So unless he has a better idea on how to solve the problem, and if he does I would love to hear it.   

gmdodt

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 01:54:38 pm »
so say after 2 more weeks it still hasnt tripped with the pump disconnected.  What do i do at that point?  Obviously plug back in to see if it happens with it plugged in again, but what other trouble shooting is there?  Can i take any electrical readings at the pump terminal or anything?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 01:54:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42