What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hotspring Incentive Program / Free ACE System with Highlife series purchase  (Read 6387 times)

castletonia

I doubt Costco would be charging me to fix something under warranty.

You doubt, which means you don't know.  They would... FYI, a hot tub.  Travel charges. 

Also, most costco hot tub warranty's cover the parts for longer than the labor.  So travel + labor.  HSS gives the dealer the right to charge a trip charge, but no labor.

If your dealer wants to whine to you about the product they represent, I blame you for doing poor research on the dealer, and I look at the dealer as being someone who needs to get the heck out of the business.

I don't charge a cent for warranty work... FYI.  I think it ruins the experience.  I eat it, but I don't give my hot tubs away either, so I can do that.

You're right, I am to blame. I thought I was paying extra for a premium product that wouldn't need continual repair. Latest drama, both pumps are leaking. I was told the Chinese "guangdong" pumps that came from the factory aren't the greatest. Luckily they're being replaced with an Aquaflo that is supposed to be higher quality.

Whats wrong with the factory pumps? 

A leaking pump seal 3 years in likely isn't due to the quality of the seal, more on the water care maintenance.  If it were regarding the motor or the integrity of the wet end, then it would be a different conversation.  I have only had (1) Caldera with failed pump seals in 4 years and the customer admitted to not being the greatest with water maintenance.  I have also had zero requests for service on pumps in the last year outside of my one Caldera customer (there have been Hot Spring products sold in my area for the last 30 years and we are the service station, so if there were requests, I would know about it).  I have also seen Aquaflo and Waterway pumps have seal leaks in the same timeframe or less. 

Hot Tub Forum

Sam

Costco doesn't fix hot tubs.  They know nothing about hot tubs.  The manufacturer of the spa that sells through Costco will subcontract warranty work to local independent technicians who can and will charge you a trip charge.  Trip charges are just something that occurs when you have a repair that requires a highly trained technician to come to your house.  My home warranty does the same thing.

dishdude

Costco doesn't fix hot tubs.  They know nothing about hot tubs.  The manufacturer of the spa that sells through Costco will subcontract warranty work to local independent technicians who can and will charge you a trip charge.  Trip charges are just something that occurs when you have a repair that requires a highly trained technician to come to your house.  My home warranty does the same thing.

BS. My refrigerator breaks under warranty and the manufacturer doesn't charge me to come out. And changing a component in a hot tub is hardly what I would consider highly skilled! I'll happily change the parts myself, hell I'm sending them pictures of the leaking pump and draining the thing getting it ready for them anyway, might as well complete the job myself.

I could have saved thousands buying from Costco, that pays a lot of trip charges...which I'm paying anyway.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member

BS. My refrigerator breaks under warranty and the manufacturer doesn't charge me to come out. And changing a component in a hot tub is hardly what I would consider highly skilled! I'll happily change the parts myself, hell I'm sending them pictures of the leaking pump and draining the thing getting it ready for them anyway, might as well complete the job myself.

I could have saved thousands buying from Costco, that pays a lot of trip charges...which I'm paying anyway.

Some spa owners feel up to being their own repair person and that's fine but its also the exception and that small minority certainly can buy from Costco knowing they can step in on repairs as needed down the line.

BTW, if the act of physically swapping out a pump were the most difficult repair on a hot tub then almost anyone would be qualified to be a technician! My wife could change the tire on her car if she had to but she could not be her own mechanic in general.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

d00nut

Hot Tub Hell, that's what Costco is good for.  Some people like it hot... maybe you are one of them!  lol

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member

How far away from the dealer do you live?  You are a good example of why the cheapest dealer isn’t always the best option. I am consistently higher in price then my competition but I don’t charge trip charges. To me if it’s warranty it’s warranty. That being said if I guy who lives 2 hours from me purchases from me we will charge a reasonable trip charge but I usually encourage them to deal with their local dealer. How many warranty claims have you had? 

Sam

You missed the point entirely.  If you buy a hot tub from Costco, you will absolutely be paying a trip charge for warranty.  Costco doesn't have a service department for hot tubs.  It gets subbed out and they will charge you a trip charge.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.

You're right, I am to blame. I thought I was paying extra for a premium product that wouldn't need continual repair. Latest drama, both pumps are leaking. I was told the Chinese "guangdong" pumps that came from the factory aren't the greatest. Luckily they're being replaced with an Aquaflo that is supposed to be higher quality.
[/quote]

I say BS.  There are no Chinese pumps being replaced by AquaFlow.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42