What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Foam issue  (Read 3249 times)

bradleyabell

Foam issue
« on: April 15, 2018, 08:39:07 am »
Hello. Just started getting a bunch of white foam for no apparent reason. Bromine alkaline and ph are all st normal levels. Didn’t have an issue for a month after draining and refilling water, but not every time I turn the jets on, foam begins to form everywhere. There is no scum from the foam. Any ideas or suggestions?

Hot Tub Forum

Foam issue
« on: April 15, 2018, 08:39:07 am »

Sam

Re: Foam issue
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 03:19:43 pm »
Foam comes from soap residue on your skin and in your suits.  There are also surfactants in other products that we wear that will contribute.  Another cause can be not thoroughly rinsing your filters after using a filter cleaning product. 

Foam won't hurt anything.  I recommend scooping out as much as you can, then use a foam eliminator product.  With foam eliminator, you don't need a lot.  I recommend putting it in an empty spray bottle.  A light mist will do the trick.  Additionally, raising your calcium hardness can help, though you open up another can of worms with that.

bradleyabell

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 07:35:59 am »
Foam comes from soap residue on your skin and in your suits.  There are also surfactants in other products that we wear that will contribute.  Another cause can be not thoroughly rinsing your filters after using a filter cleaning product. 

Foam won't hurt anything.  I recommend scooping out as much as you can, then use a foam eliminator product.  With foam eliminator, you don't need a lot.  I recommend putting it in an empty spray bottle.  A light mist will do the trick.  Additionally, raising your calcium hardness can help, though you open up another can of worms with that.

I do use foam down and that works great, but I don't like having to do it every single time we get in the tub.  We haven't changed anything from what we've been doing over the past month and the foam started randomly...No idea what the actual cause is.

Sam

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 07:19:14 pm »
It's soap residue.  You'd be amazed at the effect of someone putting just a bit too much detergent in the wash when they clean a swim suit.  Or if you soak your filters and don't fully rinse the cleaner out before returning the filters to the spa.  The jets cause a lot of agitation to the water, that combined with the higher temperature and you have a perfect recipe for bubbles with just a little bit of soap residue.

meriflower

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 09:58:11 pm »
Any chance that other people are using it when you’re not there?  Or neighborhood kid(s) putting soap in as a prank?

bradleyabell

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 07:50:18 am »
Any chance that other people are using it when you’re not there?  Or neighborhood kid(s) putting soap in as a prank?

No I have a camera on my backyard...No one has been near the tub.

We have certain suits that we use for hot tubbing that never get washed with detergent, so this can't be it either.

Ghvf

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 09:42:04 am »
Sounds like you need to drain and refill. Or you can use O Yuk hot tub cleaner from Amzn. A capfull will coagulate all the foam and you can wipe the sides off. Just my 2 cents.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 09:42:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42