What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: GFCI Tripping  (Read 12639 times)

gmdodt

Re: GFCI Tripping
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 03:47:42 pm »
Ive had a thought and that is - it's either the heater or the main board.

Here's I have developed that theory. The wiring and breaker were both replaced. Still happens. One of the pumps was replaced. Still happens. The other pump and the LEDs are not on when the spa is not in use, which is when it's tripping. That leaves the only other two options to be the heater and the main board, no? The tub heats and maintains temp fine, which then points me to the board...which is expensive. Are there any tests I can do on just the board? I supposed disconnecting everything and if it still trips? Would probably have to have the tub drained bc I can disconnect everything or else water would get crappy if it took like 2 weeks to trip..

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 03:47:42 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 05:02:28 pm »
Which leads to the hot tub.

It's driving me nuts.

At this point it seems like the only real options are 1) the pump that wasn't replaced 2) the board or 3) the heater (which is unlikely since it heats fine and maintains temp well).  Am I off here?  The tub has no additional accessories besides the LED lights.  No OZONE, circ pump, Bluetooth, stereo or anything.  Just the basic tub with LEDs (which work fine).

3) even though it heats fine it could still be the heater. Ohm tests on the heater are difficult. You will need the ohm reading of a new heater first. And the directions on how to ohm test your heater. This is done with power off. See if your dealer can help you here.

1) the pump that wasn't replaced, 2 speed main pump or aux? When your using the tub turn it on and off several times see if that initiates a trip.

2) I am leaning to board.
Retired

gmdodt

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 06:10:55 pm »
Which leads to the hot tub.

It's driving me nuts.

At this point it seems like the only real options are 1) the pump that wasn't replaced 2) the board or 3) the heater (which is unlikely since it heats fine and maintains temp well).  Am I off here?  The tub has no additional accessories besides the LED lights.  No OZONE, circ pump, Bluetooth, stereo or anything.  Just the basic tub with LEDs (which work fine).

3) even though it heats fine it could still be the heater. Ohm tests on the heater are difficult. You will need the ohm reading of a new heater first. And the directions on how to ohm test your heater. This is done with power off. See if your dealer can help you here.

1) the pump that wasn't replaced, 2 speed main pump or aux? When your using the tub turn it on and off several times see if that initiates a trip.

2) I am leaning to board.

Tman, can you read my post right before this? Curious if my thought pattern is correct. I'm not 100% which was replaced. I know it's the one on the right side but not sure which it controls until I take side panels off.

The service man did go crazy pushing buttons to try to get it to trip..both heat up and down and jets on off continuously. Nothing acted up and the megger showed nothing over 0.11. he said it needed to be over 6.0 to trip the breaker, so it was far off

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 06:23:57 am »
Sounds like it was the 2 speed main pump that was replaced. Thats good.
Retired

gmdodt

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 10:12:26 am »

Yes, I went outside this morning and confirmed that.  In my mind, the other pump causing the trip isn't logical since its never used outside of the tub being manually used.  Is that a correct assumption?

Which leaves the heater and the main board as the likely culprits...

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 06:03:11 pm »

Yes, I went outside this morning and confirmed that.  In my mind, the other pump causing the trip isn't logical since its never used outside of the tub being manually used.  Is that a correct assumption?

That is a fair assumption, however......on your model tub does the second pump purge for 30 seconds or so before each filter cycle?
Retired

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 06:11:17 pm »
I want everyone that visits this forum to know and understand that diagnosing problems via internet forum is difficult.

Being a good tech has more to do with figuring out whats wrong than anything else. Techs have a huge advantage over any do it yourself homeowner because they can keep a supply of parts that they can replace in any tub to see if it fixes the problem. Replace a part run the tub if it doesn't fix the problem switch to the old part and switch another part.

I have a ton of parts left over from my days as a repair dude. 8-10 boards most like new. 10-12 pumps all functioning some 2 speed some single both 56 and 48 frame. Heaters, I don't even know how many I have an entire shelf full in my garage. Top side controls a few small circ pumps, filter housings, jets both fronts and backs, valves and miles of hose, tube, pipe, fittings and......ugh I need to sell this stuff.

And as tubs get more complicated my odds of figuring out the problem, especially through an internet forum gets harder.

Ultimately your tech is right, you may have to wait for the problem to get worse.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:13:50 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

gmdodt

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 09:16:19 am »

That is a fair assumption, however......on your model tub does the second pump purge for 30 seconds or so before each filter cycle?

I do not believe so.  I have never heard or seen anything action before the actual filter pump comes on

gmdodt

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 09:18:38 am »
I want everyone that visits this forum to know and understand that diagnosing problems via internet forum is difficult.

Being a good tech has more to do with figuring out whats wrong than anything else. Techs have a huge advantage over any do it yourself homeowner because they can keep a supply of parts that they can replace in any tub to see if it fixes the problem. Replace a part run the tub if it doesn't fix the problem switch to the old part and switch another part.

I have a ton of parts left over from my days as a repair dude. 8-10 boards most like new. 10-12 pumps all functioning some 2 speed some single both 56 and 48 frame. Heaters, I don't even know how many I have an entire shelf full in my garage. Top side controls a few small circ pumps, filter housings, jets both fronts and backs, valves and miles of hose, tube, pipe, fittings and......ugh I need to sell this stuff.

And as tubs get more complicated my odds of figuring out the problem, especially through an internet forum gets harder.

Ultimately your tech is right, you may have to wait for the problem to get worse.

Yea, I understand, and I appreciate any and all input.  I know its hard.  This is hard for me because I am a very avid DYI that does all his own work (with help of Dad). We do all our own work, whether its plumbing, building, electrical, cars, etc.  With this thing (hot tub), its just throwing me for a loop because its new to us and because the troubleshooting is so hard.  I would think there would be an easy way to diagnose this sort of stuff these days.  I've built a lot of computers in my time, and even other electronics, keep logs of faults and have easier troubleshooting methods.

gmdodt

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 09:22:13 am »
Tman, or anyone else...the tech that came out somehow got into a service/setup menu on the top controls.  Does anyone know how to access that? Also, what happens if I push the "setup" button on the main control board?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2018, 09:47:51 am »
Tman, or anyone else...the tech that came out somehow got into a service/setup menu on the top controls.  Does anyone know how to access that? Also, what happens if I push the "setup" button on the main control board?

On the main board there is a black button about 2/3 of the way on the right hand side. Push that in for a couple seconds and it puts the tub into service mode

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2018, 02:44:44 pm »
Tubs should have an on board PC and port for diagnosis. Like a car.
Retired

gmdodt

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2018, 10:43:45 pm »
Tubs should have an on board PC and port for diagnosis. Like a car.

I see a USB port on it but I'm guessing it isn't as easy as connecting a PC to it. I'm assuming there is software needed?

gmdodt

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2018, 10:45:33 pm »

On the main board there is a black button about 2/3 of the way on the right hand side. Push that in for a couple seconds and it puts the tub into service mode

Thanks...anything in there you think will help me? If I end up replacing the board I assume I'll have to use this and set it up for my tub using the configuration settings in the cover panel? A bunch of lines and stuff

Sllick

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 09:16:03 am »
Hey there I have an old 2003  spa that I have replaced the heater and the pressure switch the wet end and the main pack board. They spa was working great I'll a couple of days ago when the GFCI 50 amp  Breaker tripped and won't stay on....I have only one 2 speed pump...and have checked heater and pressure switch it still trips. I have disconnected power to breaker and the breaker holds does not trip.........So now my question is when I can get breaker to stay on the pump starts purge and gets to end of purge breaker trips....I am wondering if the capacitor on the motor is causing this...or if it is something wrong in the circuit board....this is odd as there is not visible signs of damage to board all wires are snug and filter is out....no ozonatator or blower it is just a simple 2 speed pump

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 09:16:03 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42