What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New to Hot Tubs: Top Reliable Brands?  (Read 25406 times)

Jtd1216

New to Hot Tubs: Top Reliable Brands?
« on: March 19, 2018, 10:28:01 pm »
Hey everyone,
New to the forum! We've never owned a hot tub before, and in search of one for our back patio. We're trying to figure out where to start and Jacuzzi is the only brand we've heard of (told you we're new to hot tubs!). If you had to list the top 3-5 brands for us to start looking at for reliability and quality, what would they be? Is Jacuzzi even a good option? Are there better brands out there? Sorry for the newbie questions, but much of what's coming up in our research is biased and we don't know where to turn. Thanks in advance!

Hot Tub Forum

New to Hot Tubs: Top Reliable Brands?
« on: March 19, 2018, 10:28:01 pm »

bud16415

Re: New to Hot Tubs: Top Reliable Brands?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 09:13:45 am »
Start by telling us what brands are sold in your town or nearby areas? There is a lot to be said for local dealer before and after the sale.

Secondly give us a price range you are thinking?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 10:40:23 am »
Welcome to the forum.  I'll second Bud's post above mine.  Jacuzzi is a good brand.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 01:06:22 pm »
In alphabetical order, I would go Arctic, Artesian, Bullfrog, Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis, and Sundance as my top brands.  Go to the website of each and put in your zip code to see if you have a local dealer.  No dealer = irrelevant brand for you.  Research your dealers because they are almost as important as the brand.  Go from there.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 01:43:00 pm »
In alphabetical order, I would go Arctic, Artesian, Bullfrog, Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis, and Sundance as my top brands.  Go to the website of each and put in your zip code to see if you have a local dealer.  No dealer = irrelevant brand for you.  Research your dealers because they are almost as important as the brand.  Go from there.

Excellent advice on brands and use of the dealer locator.

How many brands you have available will depend on where you are, someone in the Dakotas may have very few options while someone in a Chicago suburb may have all those brands available.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 05:36:32 pm »

I would add Beachcomber to make a solid top ten.
Retired

jtd1216

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 09:19:11 pm »
WOW! Thanks for all the help everyone. This is a great way to get started. OK so I did what you said!

Top rated dealers in my area based on reviews: Bullfrog, D1, Hotspring,
Decent rated dealers (Mixed-reviews) in my area: Caldera (this dealer specializes in hearth/fireplace though), Jacuzzi

As far as budget.... OK, so we've had a bit of a rude awakening after reading some pricing on this forum, and even a little discouraged. We are planning a large patio project in our backyard, something we've always wanted. We've also wanted a hot tub--my wife especially.

As I mentioned, we've never owned a hot tub before, so don't really know how far beyond entry level we'd need. We like to entertain, but mostly want this for me and her to relax and also for some hydro therapy, because we're both fairly active and could use that.

So, originally (and please don't laugh haha) I was thinking, "oh how much could they be? 4? maybe 5-thousand?" Yikes... I'm seeing a lot of numbers in the 8-12 range on here and that's just not in the cards for us.

I'm wondering if those are more for mid range people who might be getting into their second hot tub and want to level up. That's where we could really use some help next.

Thanks so much again for your help, everyone! Truly appreciated!!

buttoh

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 11:17:30 pm »
WOW! Thanks for all the help everyone. This is a great way to get started. OK so I did what you said!

Decent rated dealers (Mixed-reviews) in my area: Caldera (this dealer specializes in hearth/fireplace though), Jacuzzi

As far as budget.... OK, so we've had a bit of a rude awakening after reading some pricing on this forum, and even a little discouraged. We are planning a large patio project in our backyard, something we've always wanted. We've also wanted a hot tub--my wife especially.

As I mentioned, we've never owned a hot tub before, so don't really know how far beyond entry level we'd need. We like to entertain, but mostly want this for me and her to relax and also for some hydro therapy, because we're both fairly active and could use that.

So, originally (and please don't laugh haha) I was thinking, "oh how much could they be? 4? maybe 5-thousand?" Yikes... I'm seeing a lot of numbers in the 8-12 range on here and that's just not in the cards for us.

I'm wondering if those are more for mid range people who might be getting into their second hot tub and want to level up. That's where we could really use some help next.

In hot tubs, you will get what you pay for.  Be careful not to pay for what you won't get..... In other words, service is just as important as quality.  Also, you will see some "flashy" tubs at big box stores or "home shows" that don't have a local dealer.  Buyer beware.  You are better buying a Bullfrog X series than some other bigger tubs with more "JETS", more "PUMPS", etc.  Or buy a Hot Spot from Hot springs over some other big box store "special". Insulation is really important. Quality components is really important.  Do the manufactures stand behind the dealer?  Most of the reputable ones like Bullfrog, Hotsprings and Jacuzzi (same company) do.  Most importantly, YOU need to do your research.  Don't depend on dealer.  All dealers have their take on the brands they carry.  That is all well and good.  Have your take on brands based on your research.  Wet test.  You will be shocked how your opinion will change from tub to tub.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 11:38:41 pm »

As far as budget.... OK, so we've had a bit of a rude awakening

1) People VERY often go in blind with a budget they think is in line with what they want only to find out otherwise so your budget awakening is not unique.

2) You've listed 5 very good brands all of which will have top of the line models over $10k but those same companies will have mid line models where they take out a lot of the bells and whistles to meet a lower budget. You've seen people here talk about Bullfrog or Hot Spring or ... models at prices you aren't prepared to go to but those same people had lower priced options they could have considered at those same dealers so don't be totally discouraged, go visit and see what your options are.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 12:37:57 am »

In hot tubs, you will get what you pay for.  Be careful not to pay for what you won't get..... In other words, service is just as important as quality.  Also, you will see some "flashy" tubs at big box stores or "home shows" that don't have a local dealer.  Buyer beware.  You are better buying a Bullfrog X series than some other bigger tubs with more "JETS", more "PUMPS", etc.  Or buy a Hot Spot from Hot springs over some other big box store "special". Insulation is really important. Quality components is really important.  Do the manufactures stand behind the dealer?  Most of the reputable ones like Bullfrog, Hotsprings and Jacuzzi (same company) do.  Most importantly, YOU need to do your research.  Don't depend on dealer.  All dealers have their take on the brands they carry.  That is all well and good.  Have your take on brands based on your research.  Wet test.  You will be shocked how your opinion will change from tub to tub.

Bullfrog, Jacuzzi and Hot Springs are not the same company.     Jacuzzi, Sundance, Thermospa's and D1 yes.   Hot Springs, Caldera and freeflow are all one company as well.   Bullfrog is independent.

And many times Dealers/companies like the one I work for,  go above and beyond to what the manufacturer offers to take care of the customer.

jtd1216

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 07:12:42 am »
Thanks! So if I'm understanding everyone correctly, I should start to go look and wet test these hot tubs to see what we like, and that these brands will likely have something in every price range?

For example, the Jacuzzi 200 series only has classic jets and some basic features. Are they still a quality and reliable hot tub? Jacuzzi isn't one of or top brands per our dealer homework. So, does Bullfrog, D1 and Hot Spring make a model you can recommend that's in our price range yet still reliable and quality? Or am I way low in the $4-5k range? What about a best bang-for-your-buck model for those brands?

Thank you guys!! So helpful!

castletonia

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 09:56:22 am »
$4-5k will be a difficult price to find on any of the top manufacturers.  As a Hot Spring and Caldera dealer, I can only comment on their pricing.  You will likely need to up the budget into the $6-7k range for the entry level Hot Spot or Vacanza Series.  I would expect the same for the Bullfrog X Series and D1 @home Series, but cannot confirm.

Each manufacturer will have an MSRP.  Then, the dealer will set their pricing anywhere below that due to a handful of factors such as overhead, local market, what they include with their packages, shipping cost, etc. 

Unless that Jacuzzi model is perfect for you, I would be hesitant to buy from a dealer that you are not comfortable with.  Every hot tub will need service at some point and your local dealer is who does that unless you are a DIY type person.

Start with the dealers you are comfortable with.  Dry test the models you are interested in.  Once you have narrowed it down then you can request a wet test. 

jtd1216

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 10:46:30 am »
Thank you! I just spoke to a dealer this morning and he did mention if I wanted to be in the $6k price range, to look at the Vita brand, specifically this model-500 Series Vita Joli:  Have you heard of this before?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:37:42 pm by wmccall »

zinger084

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 11:26:45 am »
I don't own one (yet...) but I don't see how people can steer away from the engineering (from a fellow engineer) of the Bullfrogs!?  100% wood free and jet packs to change out. 

I looked at Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, Sundance, Bullfrog (and threw in Viking).  I own an old Sundance, but right now, Bullfrog, IMO, is where it's at, and the others are going to have a tough go for the next few years keeping up.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 05:29:28 pm »
I don't own one (yet...) but I don't see how people can steer away from the engineering (from a fellow engineer) of the Bullfrogs!?  100% wood free and jet packs to change out. 

I looked at Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, Sundance, Bullfrog (and threw in Viking).  I own an old Sundance, but right now, Bullfrog, IMO, is where it's at, and the others are going to have a tough go for the next few years keeping up.

LOL, drink much koolaid? I can give you 3-4 reasons the engineering is flawed.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 05:29:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42