What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can you add an outlet inside the hot tub?  (Read 1480 times)

mjcomstock

Can you add an outlet inside the hot tub?
« on: March 16, 2018, 12:22:23 am »
My goal here is to light the steps to the hot tub.

My idea is to run a ribbon of LED lights between the acrylic edge of the spa and the hot tub siding.  I found a ribbon of LED lights that are encased in a clear flexible plastic but are still thin enough to tuck up between the siding and the acrylic edge.  I ran the ribbon and around and it actually works pretty good.  You cannot see the led lights but they provide enough light to illuminate the steps and the rest of the surrounding pad.  The LED strip has it's  own transformer and connector that it plugs into, I just need a standard 120v outlet.

So the question is, "Can I safely install a 120 outlet under the spa behind the siding?"

I know where the power is coming in and where it terminates.  I'm familiar with house hold wiring and can install wiring boxes and outlets.  Is this possible to do this safely or am I just playing with fire?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Can you add an outlet inside the hot tub?
« on: March 16, 2018, 12:22:23 am »

bud16415

Re: Can you add an outlet inside the hot tub?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 09:47:07 am »
Any outlet outdoors or anywhere around the tub has to be GFCI protected at a location remote from the tub. The outlet itself needs to be installed a weather tight junction box.

I am thinking of doing something similar only to power a aftermarket chlorine from salt generator. I wont mount my Jbox directly to the tub though I’m looking at a foot or so away on the deck rail.

Our tub has exterior lighting on all 4 sides and it is nice to have a little light cast onto the steps. 

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Can you add an outlet inside the hot tub?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 09:47:07 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42