What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: help choosing  (Read 2899 times)

taylormade43

help choosing
« on: February 20, 2018, 03:24:10 pm »
well possible 1st time hot tub owner here and just had a few question. I always get different answers all depending on what dealer I am talking to. Hot Springs say that their ACE salt water system is the next best thing to sliced bread. It is easy to maintain and you only need to drain your tube once a year.
I call other guys who don't sell this and they don't recommend and tell me that the salt generators last maybe 2 years and when they do go out it is out of warranty and they end up moving to a chemical system instead. I really do like the look of the Hot Springs Aria and Envoy but why are they so expensive?
I think its crazy to spend 18,0000 for a 2018 Envoy. they did quote me $14,000 for a new 2017 model in the store.
I have also looked at Caldera spas for instance the Marinique witch I can get brand new for $8600.
I know the hot springs have some benifits on spec differnces but that much of a price change?
Also Hot Springs tells me that if I went with a Caldera that I would have to drain my tub every 3 months but when I talk to Caldera they say it isn't true it can go as far as 6months also I live in a cold climate in North Dakota and draining my tube every 3 months probably won't be an option.

Hot Tub Forum

help choosing
« on: February 20, 2018, 03:24:10 pm »

castletonia

Re: help choosing
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 05:54:32 pm »
I sell both.

To start.  With ACE you can go up to 12 months between water changes.  It doesn't mean you will get that long, just that you can.  I tell my customers to expect 8 month intervals but if the circumstances are ideal, 12 months is possible.  I tell my customers that are not using ACE, whether they are Hot Spring or Caldera, that they need to change every 4 months.  The ACE cell will last between 2-3 years with the life span being determined by how much it needs to run.  ACE has a 1 year warranty.  There are other dealers on here who have more experience with ACE than I do, but overall, I have had success with it.  Know the cost of the replacement ACE cell upfront so you know what to expect when you need to replace it.  If you do not like the initial cost and then the replacement cost, then don't do the ACE system to begin with.  You can use the tried and true method of ozone, freshwater silver ion and a little chlorine, which Hot Spring has offered for years with great success.

The Martinique would technically be a step down from the Aria and Envoy.  Its more inline with the Limelight Collection.  Your Hot Spring prices are on the high side (unless ACE is included) and your Martinique price is good.  If you want a more apples to apples comparison, the Aria lines up more with the Tahitian or Geneva (it is sized between those two) and the Utopia series, while not identical to the Highlife, is a much much closer product.  No real Hot Spring comparison to the Martinique.

I would figure out what fits you best first.  It doesn't matter if the Aria with ACE is the next best thing since sliced bread if the hot tub doesn't fit you.  Caldera has more contoured seating than Hot Spring and the Martinique is a great value for what you get.  Hot Spring in my opinion has better filtration, slightly more energy efficient, more open seating, and the Moto-Massage. Both are great spas, you just need to find what fits you best. 

taylormade43

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 10:33:23 am »
thank you

Blane

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 01:24:55 pm »
First off, I'm no expert and have no personal experience with the ACE system. My opinion is based on what I've read through various forums and reviews - and the fact that a salesperson told me if he was "given" the ACE system, he would "give it back".

Assuming the cell lasted 2 yrs, more or usually less - and from what I've read two years seems to be the gold standard - at the cost of replacing the cell plus the initial cost, combined with the additives required and water changes, my CBA determined it to be $50+ a MONTH for the first five years alone to have it. Over time the initial cost would wash out. But it's still going to be around $400 a year to keep it going if it lasts 2 years a crack. And from the literature provided by the "ACE" supplier, one must be as diligent in water monitoring and control just as without it.

Of course as with most all products, it's usually the 'complaints' department that gets the most comments. It may very well be an awesome product - I just don't know. But I do know what it will cost to keep it running, and that was the most deciding factor for me. Keep in mind I had the cable disconnected because it was a frivolous expense - we don't need TV and I'm on a fixed income now. We are going into the 'red' just to get a new hot tub.

bradleyabell

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 12:08:15 pm »
I sell both.

To start.  With ACE you can go up to 12 months between water changes.  It doesn't mean you will get that long, just that you can.  I tell my customers to expect 8 month intervals but if the circumstances are ideal, 12 months is possible.  I tell my customers that are not using ACE, whether they are Hot Spring or Caldera, that they need to change every 4 months.  The ACE cell will last between 2-3 years with the life span being determined by how much it needs to run.  ACE has a 1 year warranty.  There are other dealers on here who have more experience with ACE than I do, but overall, I have had success with it.  Know the cost of the replacement ACE cell upfront so you know what to expect when you need to replace it.  If you do not like the initial cost and then the replacement cost, then don't do the ACE system to begin with.  You can use the tried and true method of ozone, freshwater silver ion and a little chlorine, which Hot Spring has offered for years with great success.

The Martinique would technically be a step down from the Aria and Envoy.  Its more inline with the Limelight Collection.  Your Hot Spring prices are on the high side (unless ACE is included) and your Martinique price is good.  If you want a more apples to apples comparison, the Aria lines up more with the Tahitian or Geneva (it is sized between those two) and the Utopia series, while not identical to the Highlife, is a much much closer product.  No real Hot Spring comparison to the Martinique.

I would figure out what fits you best first.  It doesn't matter if the Aria with ACE is the next best thing since sliced bread if the hot tub doesn't fit you.  Caldera has more contoured seating than Hot Spring and the Martinique is a great value for what you get.  Hot Spring in my opinion has better filtration, slightly more energy efficient, more open seating, and the Moto-Massage. Both are great spas, you just need to find what fits you best.

Go and wet test both tubs and you will know easily what is right for you...I would also try out a bullfrog tub!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 12:41:56 pm »
I sell both.

Go and wet test both tubs and you will know easily what is right for you...I would also try out a bullfrog tub!

Yes, absolutely wet test both models you're considering and decide which is better for you. If neither fit the bill and you do decide to look else where don't limit yourself, see if you are Arctic, Artesian, Bullfrog, D1, Jacuzzi, Marquis, Sundance ... in your area.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 12:41:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42