What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Heating issue  (Read 5588 times)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Heating issue
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 07:03:45 pm »
  You need a volt meter and start checking what the volts are at different locations.   Another monkey in the wrench, is that 100 amp breaker actually a GFCI?     Yapping with my tech if the spa had a problem and tried to trip the breaker,  it couldn't because the breaker is to high of an amp.   And that would probably damage the board.  But then it probably could be a few things going on.  I think you need a new service guy.    If you do change that breaker, drop it down to a 60 at the least. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 07:03:45 pm »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 09:49:07 am »
W  When I turned up the temp, it started a cycle and about 45 seconds later, it started warming.  After I felt the warmer water coming out, I thought maybe it was just hung, so I started the jets.  The temp/heat light stayed on when I turned on the first and second jet pump.  When I turned on the third jet pump, the heating immediately shut off.  The circulation pump was still running, but it stopped heating the water. 

I turned off the jets and changed the temp which started the cycle over.  It started heating and produced the same result when I turned the third jet pump on. 

If the heater shuts off when the third pump is turned on, the computer is telling it to shut off.  This is a programming issue, not a power issue.   Is there any way to take a picture of the main pack or owner's manual where it lists the amperage options?  I can't find one online that offers a 100amp option. 

jeaves726

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 11:40:29 am »
I'm out right now but could take a picture when I get back. What would cause the programming to change all the sudden?

SerjicalStrike

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 12:49:16 pm »
Many boards have a jumper or dip switch setting that sets the programming for the board.  Usually it distinguishes between a 30, 50, or 60amp mode.  30 amp being no pumps on high, 50 being 1 pump on high, and 60 allowing 2 high speed pumps to run with the heater on.

The owner's manual or the electrical box will give some information on what is going on.

jeaves726

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 08:21:04 pm »
Okay, here are a few pictures of the board. I didn't see anything specifically that said 50 or 60 amps. The tub has been shut up since November during the last service. We've used it, but no one has accessed the panels. The heating issue started about a week ago. Just all of the sudden it stopped heating with the Jets running. I don't think anybody has flipped the switch causing the change.

jeaves726

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 08:36:01 pm »
Looking at the cover, the audio port that the circulation pump was plugged into is 120v 2amp. Also, the yellow marks are which switches are on in the switchback on the main board.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:55:42 pm by jeaves726 »

SerjicalStrike

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 10:08:49 am »
For 3 high speed pumps and heater to run at the same time, DIP switches A2 and A10 need to both be up.  From the picture, A2 is down and A10 is up, allowing only 2 high speed pumps and the heater to be on at the same time.

jeaves726

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 10:21:21 am »
That's what I was thinking. Would it be possible for that to change? The last time the panel was off was in November and it's changed all of the sudden. I'm not sure how to explain it other than the switch flipped itself (I realize how that sounds).

If I flip the switch for the 3 pump and blower, would it still operate under the 48 amps?

SerjicalStrike

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 10:55:41 am »

If I flip the switch for the 3 pump and blower, would it still operate under the 48 amps?

No.  2 high speed pumps and the heater run right around 48 amps, thus the need for a 60amp breaker.  Another pump on high would be around 12-15amps.

jeaves726

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 08:52:05 pm »
ok....I went to the store where we bought the tub and talked to a guru at the service dept.  He was very knowledgeable and we had a really good discussion.  He said that changing the main board would be the wrong step.  He suggested that I flip the dip switches back to allow 3 pumps.  While we couldn't figure out how it could have changed, we both figured that needed to be reset to allow all the pumps. 

When I got home, I took the panel off and changed the one switch.  After powering the tub back up, it runs like it used to (3 jet pumps and the heater at the same time).  I've run it for about five cycles and have the LED lights going too.  Everything is working without tripping the breaker (which apparently is 50 amp, not 100 as I mentioned before). 

I guess it makes sense that it hasn't tripped because all of the pumps were running before it stopped and it never tripped then either.  It appears we are back to normal without spending the $500ish on a new board.  It was actually free.

The only reason we could figure on why it changed suddenly, was that maybe the last tech that was out changed one of the dip switches while the tub was still powered on or running.  Maybe that programming hung until the tub was restarted or power was cut.  It's a long shot, but the only other explanation is that the switch flipped itself (which is basically impossible).  I guess yard ninjas could be another option...

Thanks for all your help and each of you that took the time to respond.  You've all helped me process this and understand what was happening and how I needed to proceed.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 09:42:34 pm »
 I can guarantee you the last tech changed the dp switches! Why who knows.     Nice job SerjicalStrike! 
I looked at the schematic but missed it, might have been the  XTRA large photos  ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 09:42:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42