What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Patio Heater for Winter Use  (Read 8798 times)

wrobo

• Go Buckeyes !!!
Patio Heater for Winter Use
« on: August 08, 2005, 01:10:40 pm »
I am currently contemplating the purchase of stainless steal propane heater (looks like a big light), to put in close proximity to the hot tub for use in the winter.  It is not so much needed for myself, however, I would like my wife to use the spa more in the winter (and she just does not much get into 10 degree tubbing).  I also won't lie, I think it would make getting in and out a bit easier (especially in keeping the towels and robes warm).

Does anyone have any experience with these heaters that they might not mind sharing?  I think that Costco offes them for ~$250.

Thank you,
Jeff

Hot Tub Forum

Patio Heater for Winter Use
« on: August 08, 2005, 01:10:40 pm »

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
Re: Patio Heater for Winter Use
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 01:26:05 pm »
Is it an infra red heater like this?

http://www.mrheater.com/seriesdetail.asp?id=146

I have had one similar to this for years, use it in my garage. Works great in throwing heat across the room. Matter of fact, we have gone on camping trips where there has been a fire restriction on the site, and we used it as a "campfire" to get warm.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 02:18:01 pm »
I have a stainless steel patio heater made by Coleman. I love my heater which also has a light on it. It will heat an area of about 10 ft all the way around in -10 temps. Wind does affect the heat and you won't notice as much heat on a windy evening.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5040-761&categoryid=3000

nicker

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 02:54:26 pm »
I too was thinking of one of these for general use.  My worry would be the cost to run the unit.   I have been around one and they do pump out the heat but seems to me they would use a great deal of propane.

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 05:31:37 pm »
I was thinking of this also, but wondered if the heat would be too much for composite (plastic) cabinets... plastic doesn't feel wind like people do, it still feels the IR!  :)  (Heck, guess I could say the same about wood cabinets if you were really close...)

How far away are we talking for a minimum distance is the point, I guess the bottom line is....
--
Lee

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 01:16:50 pm »
I have one of the Coleman Heater units with the light in it and I have to say it's great.  Doesn't use a huge amount of fuel.  I have a covered deck so this thing keeps it nice and toasty.  I also use the heater on my deck near my spa to melt away ice if it is not too windy.

Buy a good unit, some of them a crap.

Jonathan

Jolele

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 09:38:25 am »
I apologize for bump the old topic, but I have some interesting observations that I would like to share, maybe this will help someone in the future because once I was on the lookout for useful advice.

We installed a HomComfort 21 https://patiotip.com/best-patio-heater (which I think was 21,000 btu) in our Alaska 16x20 cabin. A wood stove handles most of the heating but the propane unit is nice when you don't want a full-on fire or it's really cold when we arrive (we're in a couple of weekends a month) and you light everything you've got. It's vented out a 6" hole, with an intake pipe nested inside the exhaust pipe). Seems like a fair amount of heat goes outside, but no fumes at all, good heat inside, lights reliably. Ran us $600 or so, I think. We had an unvented unit. It was a death sentence in the making. Only issue that I may work on this year is a 20lb tank runs low on pressure fairly fast and the heater doesn't get up to full heat. Looking at bringing in a larger tank this winter.There are a lot of useful videos on this subject on Youtube, I'll leave one here, Hope this helps someone. Good luck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7LAC9Utieo

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 10:58:58 am »
I am currently contemplating the purchase of stainless steal propane heater (looks like a big light), to put in close proximity to the hot tub for use in the winter.  It is not so much needed for myself, however, I would like my wife to use the spa more in the winter (and she just does not much get into 10 degree tubbing).  I also won't lie, I think it would make getting in and out a bit easier (especially in keeping the towels and robes warm).

Does anyone have any experience with these heaters that they might not mind sharing?  I think that Costco offes them for ~$250.

Thank you,
Jeff

First of all God Bless Urban Meyer!    how far is it from your tub to your door?  My totally uneducated thought is most heaters won't be effective if there is any wind.  Our tub is 10ft from our back door.  After soaking 20 minutes in 104 water, I have no problem adding chemicals and closing the lid after putting on a robe while my cold sensitive wife is scurrying back inside.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

JacuzziJack

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 10:57:22 pm »
Not sure, but I'm thinking he's referring to a patio heater like shown below. They work great btw. A couple weaknesses to plan around:
1) Windy conditions can make them tip over ...so plan on a way to secure
2) Some may be somewhat flimsier than others.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 11:00:09 pm by JacuzziJack »

bradleyabell

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 03:08:21 pm »
Anyone else use a patio heater?  I'm thinking about buying one for the fall/winter in Michigan.

coldnh

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 10:28:27 am »
I have a similar one to the picture above, think i paid 100 bucks for it as a black Friday special last year. Works great when its calm out. The slightest breeze makes it pretty ineffective however. Also as another poster said the wind WILL knock it down. so try to secure it if possible.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 10:28:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42