What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: recommendations for 2-3 person hot tub for small space  (Read 2917 times)

Trebspa

recommendations for 2-3 person hot tub for small space
« on: January 12, 2018, 06:57:33 pm »
I am looking for a hot tub for hydrotherapy to help with my chronic myofascial pain.  I am single but am hoping I can talk my boyfriend into spending time in the tub with me. 

I have a cement patio directly out my back door with space for a tub that is 5'5" or less on one dimension and 7" or less on the other.

I am thinking I would like a lounger because I have pain when I am in a sitting position.

I have looked at Caldera Kauai, Nordic Bella and D'amour and Jacuzzi J 215  Visiting more dealers tomorrow.

I would like

1. suggestions for make/model
2. thoughts on budget
3. 110 vs. 220?  does it make a difference in terms of health effects?  I like a hotter temperature than many people.
4. the Caldera dealer does not have a Kauai for wet testing, only a Martinique. The Jacuzzi dealer had a very large spa for wet testing, not the 215 (or 315 for that matter).  Thoughts? 

Hot Tub Forum

recommendations for 2-3 person hot tub for small space
« on: January 12, 2018, 06:57:33 pm »

bud16415

Re: recommendations for 2-3 person hot tub for small space
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:10:05 am »
I have a Caldera Geneva that is a 6 seat hot tub. Of the 6 seats we have I would say 3 of them get used 95% of the time. Two of the other three are jetted but nothing to get excited about and are great social seats as they are not deeply submerged and do provide a few jets. The other seat is mostly a higher cool down seat and has jets for legs only.

The three seats you get with the Kauai are the three seats we feel give our Geneva its true therapeutic benefits. Having two people in the Kauai would be perfect 3 might be a squeeze. The wrist jets are a super nice feature as well. Some people like the recliner some say it is a wasting a seating location. We both personally love the recliner and I seldom get to use it when we are both in the tub.

One thing I have found about Caldera tubs is the seating shapes are very uncomfortable with the tub empty. They are angled and designed to keep you in the seat when the jets are pushing you out or trying to. If you dry test one you will think you don’t like it. Many reclining seating the jets will blow you out of the seats. In ours you feel like you are being suspended on the jets. IMO Caldera is more of a therapeutic tub than some.

I would always go with a 240V system for a tub like this.

It has the frog inline sanitation system that will allow bromine or @ease (chlorine) cartridges. I would start off with the @ease system.

The others you mentioned are great tubs also I’m sure just wanted to advise you on what I know about best as I’m not a dealer just a home owner.       

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:14:13 am »
Would love to make suggestions but if that brand is not available in your area, the point is moot as you're not going to buy something that doesn't have a local dealer (Not all brands are available in all areas).  Give us an update once you've visited all the dealers in your area and have seen what they have to offer.  WET TEST!  Pare down potentials by jettisoning dealers with bad reputations.  Once you've got a small handful of options that fit your body, is comfortable to you, and is in your price point, let us know and the very knowledgeable forum-users here will chime in. 

Hope this helps- Good luck moving forward.

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 11:25:29 am »
I have personally sat in the Kauai, Bella, and D'Amour.  Nordic makes a basic, quality product, but they really cannot be compared to the Caldera, or even the Jacuzzi you listed.  Besides a lower price, you're going to notice the different shell material, which costs less to manufacturer, but also is not as comfortable, in my opinion. 

The Bella sits really shallow, even though its 38" deep.  It has good power, but you sit very upright and I think if you put 2 people in it, the water may overflow.  I don't remember anything that stood out to me about the D'Amour other than that I though it was a little under-powered, but also with all Nordic's, you can feel the jets against your back, even when filled and running, which I don't like.

I like the Kauai.  It is 220V only, just an FYI.  You have the ability to direct water flow where you can have full power to the lounger, full power to the two bench seats, or reduced, but equal power to all jets.  When you have power to all jets, its a little underwhelming.  I do like the therapy a lot in the Kauai though.

Never seen or sat in the Jacuzzi J215, so cannot comment on that hot tub.

If you have the local options, I would also suggest the Marquis V65L or Spirit, Hot Spring Jetsetter, Jacuzzi J-315, Sundance Dover or Capri, Bullfrog R5L / A5L, Dimension 1 Triad, and Artesian Santa Cruz.  110V vs 220V determines how large a pump can be in the hot tub, how fast it will heat and maintain its temperatures, and whether you can run the heater concurrently with the pumps.  Hot Spring, Caldera, some Marquis and I believe Jacuzzi and Sundance can go up to 106, others 104.  As for budget, that's up to you what you want to spend.  You do get what you pay for and if $3k - $5k is where you want to be, then Nordic it is.  If you can consider spending as much as $6k - $9k, then all others will be within your budget.  I personally would want to try the model I am interested in.  Small hot tubs are just that, small.  The Martinique will feel much bigger than the Kauai is.  Everything is condensed in small hot tubs.  If you can't wet test, you need to at least dry test to see how you fit. 

Trebspa

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 11:41:31 am »
Wow!  Thank you, everyone, for your fabulously informative replies. I am so happy to have found this forum. This is a big purchase for me and your support is very much appreciated.

I loved the jet placement and lounge seat in the Martinique.  I felt the 1.5 hp engine that powered the lounge seat provided enough power for my taste. 

There is a Jacuzzi dealer near me where I can wet test and I will be visiting two other dealers this morning. 

Updates later. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 11:41:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42