What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can a power surge fry a control board?  (Read 7373 times)

jamiho

Can a power surge fry a control board?
« on: January 02, 2018, 08:14:24 pm »
So I just bought a reconditioned Marquis Destiny that came with all new components.  Had a certified electrician do the electrical work.  One and a half weeks after installation, it turned off.  After turning it back on, it no longer heats.  I called the dealer and they seemed amazed as it had new components.  They asked if anything unusual had happened.  I told them the day before it shut off and then stopped heating, there were a couple of brief power outages in the area, electricity going off and back on quickly about three times in a row.  But that didn't shut down the tub, the shut down and problem occurred the next day.  They said if the power surge fried the control board, it wouldn't be covered under warranty because that's out of their control.

Is it possible for a power surge to fry a control board?  Or could the electrician have done something wrong?

Sigh.  My friends warned me not ot get a hot tub.  We had a nice 8 days...

Hot Tub Forum

Can a power surge fry a control board?
« on: January 02, 2018, 08:14:24 pm »

jamiho

Re: Can a power surge fry a control board?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 08:15:42 pm »
Oh, I should mention the power surge was in the whole neighborhood, not just our house.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:20:57 pm by jamiho »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 08:29:01 pm »
Yes definitely possible Just had the same happen to a customer of mine with aMarquis Tub

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 09:05:35 pm »
So I just bought a reconditioned Marquis Destiny that came with all new components.  Had a certified electrician do the electrical work.  One and a half weeks after installation, it turned off.  After turning it back on, it no longer heats.  I called the dealer and they seemed amazed as it had new components.  They asked if anything unusual had happened.  I told them the day before it shut off and then stopped heating, there were a couple of brief power outages in the area, electricity going off and back on quickly about three times in a row.  But that didn't shut down the tub, the shut down and problem occurred the next day.  They said if the power surge fried the control board, it wouldn't be covered under warranty because that's out of their control.

Is it possible for a power surge to fry a control board?  Or could the electrician have done something wrong?

Sigh.  My friends warned me not ot get a hot tub.  We had a nice 8 days...

Likely one of the biggest causes for fried components.
Retired

Gravelydude

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 09:49:21 am »
So; is this a good argument for putting a surge arresting component on the circuit for the hot tub?

Jack

jamiho

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 11:36:24 am »
I am amazed about this issue and that it didn't come up at all in my hot tub shopping or electrical work.

Not sure the feeling about these surge protector devices but we have one on order, just wish we had know about this issue sooner: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I506Z3S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gravelydude

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 11:55:24 am »
The reason that I asked about it is that they are routinely installed to protect well pumps where I have a house in the mountains in North Carolina.  Pumps in my neighborhood are routinely set 800' or more below the ground level, and are correspondingly very expensive to replace.  We will be starting our search for a hot tub for the mountain house in about a month; but I will be installing a surge protector first.

Jack

Beck0101

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 12:11:17 pm »
Depending on the cost of the repair vs the deductible on your home owners insurance policy this might be claim worthy.  Just a thought.

Beck0101

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 12:15:58 pm »
I am amazed about this issue and that it didn't come up at all in my hot tub shopping or electrical work.

Not sure the feeling about these surge protector devices but we have one on order, just wish we had know about this issue sooner: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I506Z3S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How do you plan to install this?  Will you try to somehow install it inside your cabinet, isolated from the heater?  This thing would go up in smoke pretty quickly if wired to your 50A main feed for the tub.

Gravelydude

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 04:29:16 pm »
It is wired into the panel or subpanel that feeds the spa.  It is not mounted in the hot tub itself.  It will not go up in smoke unless there is a surge; whereupon it becomes sacrificial to the equipment downstream from the surge arrestor.  There are whole house surge protectors that are effectively wired to your 200 amp breaker.  Not a guarantee of survival; but a precaution to help prevent a potential catastrophic failure.

Jack

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 07:33:02 pm »

Most likely didn’t come up because I see one every few years and it usually takes out a lot more then just the tub. Usually everything in the house is fried

Beck0101

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 07:27:29 am »
It is wired into the panel or subpanel that feeds the spa.  It is not mounted in the hot tub itself.  It will not go up in smoke unless there is a surge; whereupon it becomes sacrificial to the equipment downstream from the surge arrestor.  There are whole house surge protectors that are effectively wired to your 200 amp breaker.  Not a guarantee of survival; but a precaution to help prevent a potential catastrophic failure.

Jack

The suppressor linked above has 10 gauge leads.  There is a comment on the link regarding 20A loads.  I find it hard to believe that thing isn't going to have a melt down on a 50A circuit?  Though I couldn't directly find the load rating.  I'm only assuming.

jamiho

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 11:34:09 am »
Most likely didn’t come up because I see one every few years and it usually takes out a lot more then just the tub. Usually everything in the house is fried
[/quote]

Yeah, that's the thing.  Everything is working fine on the hot tub except it doesn't heat anymore, everything else in the house is fine. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 06:58:55 pm »

Yeah, that's the thing.  Everything is working fine on the hot tub except it doesn't heat anymore, everything else in the house is fine.
[/quote]

Could be something unrelated. All the sensors good? Has the heater been tested?
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 01:11:19 pm »
very rare but it does happen, I don't think you can look to the electrician since the spa worked properly for 8 days? before this happened. And unfortunately acts of god are not covered by the manufacturer or the dealer, maybe they'll work with you on a special price in this scenario? I would ask

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 01:11:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42