What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Cover Insulation  (Read 4708 times)

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
Spa Cover Insulation
« on: August 23, 2004, 03:54:07 am »
I came across this posting on another Spa Forum and it has peaked my interest.

"Nightowl -- Friday, 20 August 2004, at 1:12 a.m.
Spa cover quality steadily improves, but gaining weight from moisture absorbtion remains a concern. Most covers try to cope by sealing slightly-porous white foamboard inside one or more plastic sheets.
Does anyone know of a spa cover that offers the option of Owens-Cornings familiar "pink" rigid foam insulation (foamular 250)? In our experience, it's virtually waterproof and carefee overall.
As Owens-Corning's web site points out, foamular is (quote)"hydrophobic meaning it's practically impossible for it to be penetrated by moisture".
It's a uniform R-5 per inch (i.e., 4" would be R-20 just from the foam core.) Retail cost locally for 4" x 8' x 8'would be around $30, or $45 for R-30 if 6" was used.
We routinely use it right out of the box for submerged lake-dock floats, swimming floats and insulation between damp earth and concrete basement walls. Ten years ago I put 2" on the ground under the vinyl liner of a 24' round swimming pool and it's always been dry when we change liners.
In our pool it supports 272# per square foot in the form of 60+ tons of water, no problem. Seems like a logical option for quality spa covers. One drawback is that stock maximum thickness is 2", although it can be readily bonded to desired overall thickness."

Any comments regarding the use of Owens Cornings pink rigid Foam insulation (Foamular 250) in your Spa Cover?

If the foam in your Spa Cover becomes saturated and the outside jacket is still in good condition would this not be a good do it your self replacement product?

If this product does not absorb water why is it not used in Spa covers.

Is it the price of the product?

Dr Spa would you care to comment?

Regards, Zz
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 04:26:54 am by ZzTop »

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Cover Insulation
« on: August 23, 2004, 03:54:07 am »

huh?

• "42"
Re: Spa Cover Insulation
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 02:05:20 pm »
The covers that we use are heat-sealed (fancy for melted) and do not contain zippers or gromet holes.  The best way to keep the foam dry is to not let it get wet.  They offer a three or five year warranty (depending upon model)  We have had great success with them and they never get heavy.  However, if you were to get a hole in the cover some how (hail, dog) you would want to patch it right away.  Send me a message if you want more info.

¿

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Spa Cover Insulation
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 02:05:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42