What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Enzyme issue  (Read 14716 times)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Enzyme issue
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2017, 06:45:54 am »
Shouldn’t shocking eliminate any of the above oils/lotions?

It depends on how much stuff your bringing in.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2017, 06:45:54 am »

bradleyabell

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2017, 06:58:48 am »

Just shocked with MPS last night to reactivate the bromine, which it did and it caused another large amount of foam to form. Am really trying to avoid draining as I live in Michigan where it is barely above freezing temperatures.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2017, 11:57:58 am »

Just shocked with MPS last night to reactivate the bromine, which it did and it caused another large amount of foam to form. Am really trying to avoid draining as I live in Michigan where it is barely above freezing temperatures.

You could always just drain it a third and top with fresh.
Retired

meriflower

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2017, 12:34:31 pm »
They do make anti-foam chemicals that you can use.  I use Leisure Time and they have one called Leisure Time Foam Down.  All spa chemical companies usually have their own version if you prefer a particular brand that is not Leisure Time.  Keep in mind, this is a quick fix but is not a long term solution on why this keeps happening.  As already noted foam happens due to beauty products (shampoo, deodorant, lotions, soap, etc) or imbalanced water (low calcium hardness, high or low PH).   Have you had your water tested at a spa dealer?

bradleyabell

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2017, 07:42:40 pm »
They do make anti-foam chemicals that you can use.  I use Leisure Time and they have one called Leisure Time Foam Down.  All spa chemical companies usually have their own version if you prefer a particular brand that is not Leisure Time.  Keep in mind, this is a quick fix but is not a long term solution on why this keeps happening.  As already noted foam happens due to beauty products (shampoo, deodorant, lotions, soap, etc) or imbalanced water (low calcium hardness, high or low PH).   Have you had your water tested at a spa dealer?

Yes I’ve been using the Leasure Time Foam Down and that does fix it for 15-20 minutes but like you said, it’s only a temporary fix. The foam only occurs when the jets are turned on.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2017, 10:39:20 pm »

Yes I’ve been using the Leasure Time Foam Down and that does fix it for 15-20 minutes but like you said, it’s only a temporary fix. The foam only occurs when the jets are turned on.

Did you bring that enzyme stuff back to where you bought it from to see if it was really enzymes or something else?  Why did you use MPS instead of liquid chlorine?

bradleyabell

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2017, 11:02:24 pm »

Did you bring that enzyme stuff back to where you bought it from to see if it was really enzymes or something else?  Why did you use MPS instead of liquid chlorine?

That’s what I had in the house. What would bleach do that mps doesn’t with
Bromine?

bradleyabell

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2017, 11:05:30 pm »

You could always just drain it a third and top with fresh.

Would that solve the issue?  2/3 of the “bad water” would still be in the tub.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2017, 11:31:16 pm »

That’s what I had in the house. What would bleach do that mps doesn’t with
Bromine?

I'm not sure but that's what I have done in the past with good results. Without knowing exactly what you put in the tub it's goin to be tough to tell you exactly what to do. Did you have a chance to br By that stuff back and see what it is?  If it was a purge product draining 2/3 won't do a thing. With the MPS how high did your bromine get?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2017, 11:34:10 pm »
Bromine/ mineral combo are you using the spa frog system?

bradleyabell

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2017, 09:31:48 am »

I’m using the spa frog mineral floater with a separate bromine floater with 1” bromine tablets. I have not had a chance to bring the enzyme product in yet. With the MPS Amy bromine was over 5 PPM

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2017, 06:45:27 pm »

You will be surprised what 1/3 fresh water will do.

But it's only a temporary fix until we figure out whats causing the foam.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:58:27 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2017, 09:49:48 pm »

I’m using the spa frog mineral floater with a separate bromine floater with 1” bromine tablets. I have not had a chance to bring the enzyme product in yet. With the MPS Amy bromine was over 5 PPM

Bromine level at 5 PPM is probably not going to be high enough. Want to aim for closer to 20 PPM. Super shocking this way. How long did the level stay at 5 for?

bud16415

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2017, 09:55:26 am »

You will be surprised what 1/3 fresh water will do.

But it's only a temporary fix until we figure out whats causing the foam.

The solution to pollution is delusion. Is what they say.

I have experimented with partial drains and refills as well and I am more and more convinced in my case it is a very viable method. I have hot water available to refill with and between my hot water temp and using it until I run out and going with cold I can drain about 100 gallons and refill and not have to wait for the water to reheat. So start to finish I can do a drain down refill in 30 minutes and be using the tub.

You are correct that ¼ replacment will do wonders.

I find it really nice during late winter when I want to freshen the water but trying to make it another 4 to 6 weeks for the weather to warm up to do a total.   

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2017, 10:06:49 am »
Maybe your neighbor is coming over and messing with you?  ;)

For the amount of days this has been discussed you could have just drained the spa and started over.   I know you don't want to, but at this point I would.     

Dump a good dose of bleach in there, run it for 30 min on high.   Drain the spa, clean filters or get a new set and refill it.   Use just the bromine floater if that's what you like, and go from there. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2017, 10:06:49 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42