What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Yet another newbie with a question about base options  (Read 2125 times)

jamiho

Yet another newbie with a question about base options
« on: November 09, 2017, 05:24:05 pm »
Hi,

I'm new here and will soon (hopefully) be new to hot tub ownership.

We have an existing concrete pad that is 5.5' x 11'.  However, it is not completely level, it slopes up to about a half an inch.  And, we want to get a tub that is about 7' x 7', so obviously the pad it not quite bit enough.

My questions are:

1.  Is the slight unneveness of the pad a problem?
2.  To extend the pad, could we do about two feet of gravel in a frame?
3.  Alternately, could we extend the pad by 2 feet with concrete, and on top of the existing pad, put on a top level of about 2-3 inches to make it level?

Thanks.  Who knew getting a hot tub would be so complicated!?  ;)

Hot Tub Forum

Yet another newbie with a question about base options
« on: November 09, 2017, 05:24:05 pm »

bud16415

Re: Yet another newbie with a question about base options
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 12:37:21 pm »
IMO half an inch of slope over that distance is not a problem and might be a good thing as this way you know water will not pool on it. Over 7’ it is vary good enough. If it was me I would expand the pad and some extra pad wont be a problem as you need space for stairs and I like to see them sitting on the pad just like you want to walk on the pad to get into the tub.

It could be a DIY job if you are handy pouring the addition to the pad. If you want to hire it out find a handyman type guy as a contractor in that business will find the job too small and charge you a small fortune to do it. At the same time make plans for where the sub panel will be located and how the wires will be routed to the tub. You have to have the sub panel more than 5’ from the tub and in a location that is easy to get to. You also want the conduit if above ground to be on the side of the tub you wont see etc. cover lifters also require more space than you may think, mine takes about 2’ of room to work.

Enjoy your new tub and think about how it will be sitting in your space and how the cover will lift, what your views will be from the best seats and where you want to enter the tub from.

Good luck.

JacuzziJack

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 10:57:56 am »
You could get yourself a long board that you know is straight and lay it down to gauge where to compensate. Then lay out some pieces of thin wood in the center (Marine plywood?) and perimeter as needed, especially under the vertical support 2x2's where the stress 'really' is.

Or, just pour on some new CC.

Sorrentino100

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 01:09:07 pm »
You will need a level surface. Option 3 is best. Consult with a concrete contractor--also with an electrician to determine position of wiring.

kjo43

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 04:15:51 pm »
you could also consider extending with gravel level to your concrete and then a plastic base over the top check out ezpads.com for an example.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 04:15:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42