What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Adding an Electric Meter for Hot Tub Electrical Usage  (Read 6695 times)

Sorrentino100

Adding an Electric Meter for Hot Tub Electrical Usage
« on: October 23, 2017, 09:29:28 pm »
Has anyone done this? I see meters on eBay for`$35, without a meter pan. Add another ~$50 for that and it should be close to being able to know for sure how much electricity the hot tub consumes.

Hot Tub Forum

Adding an Electric Meter for Hot Tub Electrical Usage
« on: October 23, 2017, 09:29:28 pm »

Thisismyname

Re: Adding an Electric Meter for Hot Tub Electrical Usage
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 10:47:37 pm »
And then what?  Even if this were possible (which I don't think is) what would you do with this data? Get rid of the tub if it uses too much? Not use the tub too much? 

Sorrentino100

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 11:20:36 pm »
It will give you information by which you could make some adjustments. A thicker spa cover, an insulating blanket, rest or ready modes and good information to have. Some people if they discovered their electric bill was $150/month to run it in the winter, might choose to winterize the tub.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 06:36:41 am »
Has anyone done this? I see meters on eBay for`$35, without a meter pan. Add another ~$50 for that and it should be close to being able to know for sure how much electricity the hot tub consumes.

I have one, a lot of customers what to know why there power bill went up so much after they purchased a hot tub. And there is only one way to find out how much your tub cost to operate. Dealer/manufacturer/customer information is useless.

Edit: I added customer because one customer might say about 30 bucks when they actually have no idea. There really is only one way to know. A meter. I've had customers guess and be close. But close by 20 bucks.

Here, It will be between 40 and 60 in the winter in Minnesota for a well insulated tub to 60-100 for a not so well insulated tub. And in the summer it will be between 15 and 30 for either. More pumps more electricity, more use, more electricity. A cover upgrade can pay for itself in the life of the cover. And a floating thermal blanket also. Avoid going out to dinner once a month and you pay for the tubs operation.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:10:50 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

Beck0101

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 07:48:39 am »
I posted in your A8 thread as well before I saw this.

If you get the Bullfrog you won't need the meter.  Save your money.

I've played around with heating with water in the past (a home, not a tub) and it's not easy trying to manage this volume of water for different temps throughout the day.  Recovery rate on a A8 is going to be around 3.5-4 degrees an hour IIRC.  You certainly don't want to plan to keep it at 95 and turn it up when you want to get in.  You'll end up not using the tub.

Convenience is key with these things.  If it becomes a pain in the rear to use/maintain you'll end up selling it on craigslist in a few years.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 05:49:12 pm »
Because I just have to know things, I wanted to do this too!  ;)

I had an energy audit when I first got my tub in 2005 because shortly after setting it up, my electric bill went up almost $100.00 a month!! The auditor flipped out when she saw my "giant hot water heater on the deck"!! Still, the bill should not have increased by that much!!! I talked for a long time with professionals on here who tried to help me look at my old freezer, light bulbs, etc.  Finally I figured it out and it had nothing to do with the hot tub!(well maybe in an indirect way). I have a well and there was a leak at the top of the connection of the pump and my water line so that 220 line continuously pumped water day and night! This may have happened as a coincidence when we filled the tub! If I had some sort of monitoring system, I could have figured this out pretty fast!

Here is what I do now when I wonder about my electric bill and try to pinpoint high usage. My electric company PECO in Pennsylvania allows you to look at your usage with accuracy to the hour through their website. So I can see when the pumps come on (and if the heat comes on too) because it is set to filter at certain times. Recently I needed to target the surge in KWHs and after realizing that the usage was totally random, I remembered the dehumidifier that I had cranked up in the basement!

So there is a good reason to want to monitor your usage...at least I think so. I have added a spa blanket to help with insulation in my tub (probably the only one on here who uses one). And I use the economy mode when no one is using the tub for a while. So you can save $$ if you are diligent and still have your tub ready when you want to use it.  Sometimes knowing it isn't the tub bumping those kilowatts makes you feel better  ;D
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Thisismyname

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 06:41:26 pm »
We have a smart meter from our electric company that I can also monitor, give instant usage as well as all type of historical data.  But it isn't going to change my habits

Sorrentino100

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 10:28:40 pm »
Tman122, would you post a pic of your meter setup?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 08:07:36 am »
Tman122, would you post a pic of your meter setup?

Mines an EKM Omnimeter. I made jumpers and a harness. It sits inside the tub where the power enters the control. I normally tie wrap or screw it up next to the control. I'll talk to my electrician buddy to get the name of the connectors that snap over the wires to "hear" the power.

https://www.amazon.com/kWh-Meter-Universal-EKM-OmniMeter/dp/B008B15IR0

If you really wanted to get fancy you could mount it next to your tub breaker and wire it in. But most people only need to monitor for a few months.

Ask your dealer if he has one and can put you on his schedule to monitor your tub. Some dealers do this.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 08:07:36 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42