What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Scum issue  (Read 3559 times)

bradleyabell

Scum issue
« on: October 13, 2017, 05:51:34 pm »
Hi guys. I was out of town for 4 days. Came back and shocked the spa and added defoamer (it was very foamy) and clarifier. I went back to check on the tub about 15 minutes later and there’s this white and yellow/orange colored scum. Almost looks like wet shriveled up toilet paper. Any advice on how to eliminate now and or prevent in the future?

Hot Tub Forum

Scum issue
« on: October 13, 2017, 05:51:34 pm »

Clarkp

Re: Scum issue
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 06:13:31 pm »
Go to Amazon and get a two-pack of these genius little doo-dads.

Rola-Chem Scumbug Oil Absorbing Sponge

You will be shocked at how well they work... well, those and a sequestering agent...

Conine2965

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 07:01:44 pm »
I use those and scum out from s pa depot

bradleyabell

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 07:45:52 pm »
Go to Amazon and get a two-pack of these genius little doo-dads.

Rola-Chem Scumbug Oil Absorbing Sponge

You will be shocked at how well they work... well, those and a sequestering agent...

I already have a scum bug and it works great, but in this instance it didn’t help much at all.

bradleyabell

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 07:47:22 pm »
I use those and scum out from s pa depot

Do you mean the zorbo??

Conine2965

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 09:08:36 pm »
On spadepot.com scum out its an orange liquid. Works great.

meriflower

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 11:06:55 pm »
It almost sounds like biofilm.  This is a new spa?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 01:04:00 pm »
It does sound like what we call white water mold.  If that is what it is, you will need a lot of chlorine (more than superchlorination) and some kind of spa purge.  Drain and refill.  clean filter.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 02:15:46 pm »
It does sound like what we call white water mold.  If that is what it is, you will need a lot of chlorine (more than superchlorination) and some kind of spa purge.  Drain and refill.  clean filter.

If it is white water mold, that just sucks.  There is a silver-based algecide that pool companies will offer if the remedy from hottubdan does not work. 

bradleyabell

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 12:02:54 pm »
It almost sounds like biofilm.  This is a new spa?

Yes it is less than a month old.

Sam

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 02:27:48 pm »
Definitely sounds like white mold.  Notoriously bad stuff.  You probably should perform a decontamination procedure.  There is one posted on here somewhere.

bradleyabell

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 01:53:11 pm »
Definitely sounds like white mold.  Notoriously bad stuff.  You probably should perform a decontamination procedure.  There is one posted on here somewhere.

I don't think it was...It actually went away completely and my tub is now back to normal.  I do have a foam issue, but I believe it's because of friends getting in the tub with detergent residue on their suits.  I use defoamer and that solved the issue, but only temporarily.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 05:22:28 pm »

I don't think it was...It actually went away completely and my tub is now back to normal.  I do have a foam issue, but I believe it's because of friends getting in the tub with detergent residue on their suits.  I use defoamer and that solved the issue, but only temporarily.

It's hard to get your friends to rinse their suits and shower before they go in your tub. You come off as a spa nazi.
Retired

Sam

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 07:20:04 pm »

Well that's good.  Anytime I've seen something like what you described it required a decontamination which can be frustrating.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 07:20:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42