What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Beachcomber - Underpowered ?  (Read 5404 times)

TALKCalgary.com

Beachcomber - Underpowered ?
« on: August 17, 2004, 01:48:11 am »
Having ordered our new Beachcomber 750 we recived a mailer today promoting a 1 hp motor upgrade - apparently this upgrade lets you increase pump horsepower by 25% to 50%, which boosts the water flow that powers the massage jets.

The question I now ask myself is why don't Beachcomber make their pumps more powerfull in the first place?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 05:29:55 pm by TALKCalgary.com »

Hot Tub Forum

Beachcomber - Underpowered ?
« on: August 17, 2004, 01:48:11 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Beachcomber - Underpowered ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 01:53:26 am »
Did you wet test the spa? Was it what you wanted? Some people like jets to peal the skin off their backside, some don't. More power is not necessarily better.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

TALKCalgary.com

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 02:08:47 am »
Yes, we did wet test and found the Beachcomber to be very nice, but slightly underpowered. I asked the dealer if a bigger pump could be installed and was told NO. I was also told that "a larger pump would make no difference to the feel of the jets". Now we find Beachcomber saying the opposite. >:(

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 07:39:47 am »
. More power is not necessarily better.

But its not an evil thing either.  Choices are wonderful!
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 08:12:37 am »
Many cars have different engine options.  There is a base engine that will do the job and satisfy the majority, and there is a higher output engine for those who want a little more.  Choice is indeed a wonderful thing.
Brewman
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 08:13:25 am by Brewman »
Brewman

OnMedic

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 08:58:57 am »
Calgary,

Double check this, as the 750 has the most powerful from the complete Beachcomber Line. All others are lower by 1hp or more, which makes them upgradeable by switching out Protec platforms. If the 750 is the highest, what does it get swapped out for....?

Very interesting!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 09:32:57 am »
Having ordered our new Beachcomber 750 we recived a mailer today promoting a 1 hp motor upgrade - apparently this upgrade lets you increase pump horsepower by 25% to 50%, which boosts the water flow that powers the massage jets.

The question I now ask myself is why don't Beachcomber make their pumps more powerfull in the first place? :-[  Thankfully, I have not yet received delivery and can still cancel.

You want to cancel because you received a general mailout about a HP upgrade?

The 750 has a 3.5 & 4.5HP pumps. The only option is to upgrade the 3.5 to a 4.5 but I've never heard of anyone doing this. Keep in mind that the type of jets will change the type of therapy and that's where the power is. It has zero to do with the size of pumps.

Steve

IonHeaven

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 10:09:02 am »
Hi,
I wet tested the 750 and loved it. I found the jets to have enough power and as Steve once said, I'm a "smoke the tires sort of lady." Yes I like powerful jets! Not the peel your skin off type of power though --that's where I draw the line, lol, I need my skin as thin as it is these days.

Anyway. I then wet tested the 720x with the motor from the 740 and loved it, but when he replaced the motor with the lower hp motor that actually comes with the 720x, I really felt the difference and would have wanted to upgrade the motor.

Anyway, I didn't opt for the Beachcomber 720x afterall only because I was looking for more focused jets for my neck and shoulders. Otherwise I loved the spa, especially depth, size, seating, and foot jets.

IMO, I would say the 750 will have plenty of power, but if your getting any of the spas with less hp you may want the upgrade.

Just my opionion...IonHeaven

Pooldevil

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 11:30:53 am »
Beachcomber's jet pressure definately comes in at the lower power end of the hot tub ranges but then it depends on what you want ...
If you buy a Marquis you can run the trizone system with the power on full to say , just the seat jets , or open the foot jets a bit and reduce the back jet pressure or again open the whirlpool and split the power to suit yourself !
Power should not be a "chargable" option !

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 12:46:30 pm »
Dont get the upgrade, my cousin did and regretted it. This upgrade increses power to the RFM and the seat with the 6-pack. My cousin weighs around 200lb and got blown out of the seat.

Homeworks Financing Representative

RDF

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 09:09:11 am »
PoolDevil, nothing like a little unbiased advice.

TALKCalgary, I have a 730, the pump that was upgradeable only operates the jets on two seats. If it was any more powerful I think it would be uncomfortable, I think Beachcomber offers this for people that are into pain.

TALKCalgary.com

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 08:44:52 pm »
Well to clear any confusion I asked beachcomber about their upgrades and this is what they had to say:

"Steve.  The only pump you can upgrade on a 750 by 1hp is pump #1 3.5hp that is sending flow to four seats in the tub. Pump # 2 is already at the maximum 4.5 hp. Also a 1hp upgrade is not gong to increase jet performance by 50%. (as they claim on their website) It would only give a 5 to 10 % increase. If you add the Turbo option it only increase air flow to the jets which would result in a slightly more vigorous feel to the jets."

As for the Ozinator upgrade. well, according to Beachcomber that is also a "waste of time".

Steve K

« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 10:02:55 pm by TALKCalgary.com »

RDF

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 09:12:33 pm »
I have survived for over a year without ozone, just using dichlor and N-2.  Always having crystal water and no odors. I realize lots of people use it and are happy with the results, I just don't think it is a must have..

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 01:25:34 am »
RDF I tend to agree with you.  While I have Ozone, I think I could just as easily live without it.  Beachcombers enzyme product does a good job and If I do not see a better costs to benefit ratio I will not replace it after its expected life of two years.  I have been watching some new developments ie Marquis/Balboa's new system with great interest, however  I have seen no proof of the claims and the jury is still out.

Regards, Zz
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 01:27:44 am by ZzTop »

OnMedic

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 08:07:30 am »
I also decided to go with Beachcombers methedology and did not get the ozone. Too many health questions yet since it is only a couple of years old. Straight chemicals, tried, tested and proven! We have yet to have water problem since day one... (knock on wood!)

Cheers

OnMedic

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 08:07:30 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42