What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Indoor Hot Tub wall/deck finish  (Read 1401 times)

BrianLW

Indoor Hot Tub wall/deck finish
« on: August 24, 2017, 09:09:46 am »
Looking for suggestions...My hot tub is in an interior room in my house.  The walls and deck in the room are cedar.  Wondering what would be the best finish/sealant to put on my tongue and groove cedar walls and cedar deck boards?  Also, suggestions as to what NOT to use would be helpful as well.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Indoor Hot Tub wall/deck finish
« on: August 24, 2017, 09:09:46 am »

danthespaman316

Re: Indoor Hot Tub wall/deck finish
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:39:31 pm »
I'd probably suggest an oil based poly or a good spar varnish if you can find it. Water based poly is also an option and has a lower VOC level, but it's not as durable in my experience. Poly should dry clear where as varnish will have a slight yellow tint. Any of these products should give you about 7-10 years on the walls and 3-5 on the floor between recoats.

Application will depend on whether you have smooth or rough cedar. I would suggest mid grade brushes for smooth and a combo of 3/8 nap rollers and brushes for rough. Always work with the grain and leave a wet edge to blend. Start and stop at corners so that you don't have to overlap dried areas. Open windows, doors, fans and respirators are a must. I would suggest drying the area as well as you can even if it means shutting of the spa for a week to cut the humidity.

Good luck.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Indoor Hot Tub wall/deck finish
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:39:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42