What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi J335 Circulator pump not working? tests? link to new one?  (Read 5553 times)

Billsfanmd

Did a quick search but did not see anything so posting here. Picked up a used 2009 Jacuzzi J335. Everything worked perfect before since I was there when we tested it.

Got the tub home and have a great friend who is an electrical engineer. Tub all connected and we get the FL1 error. Tried all the fixes on internet still no go.

Still thinking air lock. He brought over a stronger submersible pump and were able to put hose at filter hole and create enough flow to activate switch and heater comes on and all happy.

Was able to leave this on and got tub to 101 and then just turned the pump off.

So...He thinks the circ pump is dead. He checked voltages across j13 &14s 240 VAC across the terminals, 120 VAC from each to ground.

However no current flow.

Ready to replace the circ pump. Is there any last minute things to check and can someone give me link to correct pump/where to buy?

Thx again! First soak was awesome for family crab feast :)

Hot Tub Forum

JacuzziJack

Re: Jacuzzi J335 Circulator pump not working? tests? link to new one?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 05:58:09 pm »
I guess it depends if you don't mind buying a pump/motor, or want to dig into your old one. Most likely it's either a bad $8 capacitor or inertia switch. If there's a bump-up on the motor with a cover on it, remove it and check the capacitor. Make sure you discharge it by grounding the terminals together before touching it with your hands. Some capacitors are behind the back cover too. You might need to remove the motor/pump assembly to get at it. Type into youtube how to check motor capacitors. It's pretty easy. You have a couple other pumps so you might as well learn now anyway unless you just don't want to mess with them.

I've had them go on like air compressor motors and HVAC stuff. If that's all it is, then it's a cheap and easy fix, and they do go out. But if it's more than that, and you don't mind springing for a new pump/motor, that might not be a bad way to go either. Chances are the circ pump may spring a leak at the pump seal sometime in the next couple yrs anyway and since the impeller generally seizes onto the shaft and needs to be broken to replace the seal (and replaced for $35 + the cost of the rebuild kit) ...well by the time you do all this, the better way to go is to just buy a new assembly if your time is worth anything. But at first, I'd take a look at the start and/or run capacitors because that might be all it is.

If you do buy a new pump, I'd advocate buying one identical to what you have so you can use your old one as parts if the new one ever craps out just before company comes some Saturday at 5:00. Maybe come winter you'll have time to pull yours apart and fix whatever's wrong with it and have a spare.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:04:31 pm by JacuzziJack »

Billsfanmd

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 06:50:10 pm »
Thanks jack !

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 08:10:17 pm »
I guess it depends if you don't mind buying a pump/motor, or want to dig into your old one. Most likely it's either a bad $8 capacitor or inertia switch. If there's a bump-up on the motor with a cover on it, remove it and check the capacitor. Make sure you discharge it by grounding the terminals together before touching it with your hands. Some capacitors are behind the back cover too. You might need to remove the motor/pump assembly to get at it. Type into youtube how to check motor capacitors. It's pretty easy. You have a couple other pumps so you might as well learn now anyway unless you just don't want to mess with them.

I've had them go on like air compressor motors and HVAC stuff. If that's all it is, then it's a cheap and easy fix, and they do go out. But if it's more than that, and you don't mind springing for a new pump/motor, that might not be a bad way to go either. Chances are the circ pump may spring a leak at the pump seal sometime in the next couple yrs anyway and since the impeller generally seizes onto the shaft and needs to be broken to replace the seal (and replaced for $35 + the cost of the rebuild kit) ...well by the time you do all this, the better way to go is to just buy a new assembly if your time is worth anything. But at first, I'd take a look at the start and/or run capacitors because that might be all it is.

If you do buy a new pump, I'd advocate buying one identical to what you have so you can use your old one as parts if the new one ever craps out just before company comes some Saturday at 5:00. Maybe come winter you'll have time to pull yours apart and fix whatever's wrong with it and have a spare.

Did you even look at the link I posted?  I don't mean to be rude, I know you are trying to help here which is great.  That being said, if you know as much as I think you do. Then you should know 98.99% of the time a circ pump cannot be fixed long tem even really short term by taking it apart.   The circ in a 2009 Jacuzzi is not shaft driven but magnetic, failure rate is high in those things hence the reason they went to a shaft driven one.  Something they should have done in 2004.   

Main pump or pump 2 you are spot on. 

Billsfanmd

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 06:50:58 am »
Yes Jim.  Ordered one last night. Was just waiting to see if anyone would post some more troubleshootng ideas.  It will be nice knowing my circ pump is new
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:01:27 am by Billsfanmd »

Billsfanmd

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 11:52:56 pm »
just updating the thread. New circ pump went in very easy and power on I have circulation and tub up to 100 tonight for my first soak.

quick question: It seems when the tub is done heating I am not hearing or seeing that my circ pump is running.  Do they run non stop? WHen I turn temp above current temp I get a FL1 error for a second then it goes away and then heat kicks on and circulation pump goes on.

I do get a FL1 error flashing a few times when I first turn jet 1 on but then it goes away....Does this sound like an air lock preventing the pump from running all the time?

I did notice what looked like an air valve when I installed the pump but did not touch it.

Thx for any help

Billsfanmd

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 03:46:43 pm »
update...I think its working fine...I was lowering temp a few degrees after it reached temp and summer mode kicked in...seems to be working fine...

thx

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 03:46:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42