What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Protection?  (Read 46314 times)

39lasalle

Protection?
« on: July 29, 2017, 12:43:54 pm »

Testing as I am not sure how to post photos.

I am trying to figure out out to protect ourselves when we would be at our most vulnerable.   I usually carry everyday but not in or near the tub.   Guess this will change!    Never really had these issues before because we had always had a dog running g around.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 07:13:58 pm by 39lasalle »

Hot Tub Forum

Protection?
« on: July 29, 2017, 12:43:54 pm »

39lasalle

Re: Protection?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 12:46:29 pm »
Guess that did not work

Bear in driveway last night.    If was not raining we probably would have been in tub at this time about  30 ft. away

SnowHot

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 12:56:14 pm »
I'm glad my back yard is fully fenced. EEK!
But I get it.  Bear and coyote are a real problem in our area.

Maybe keep bear spray near by?

Conine2965

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 02:48:47 pm »
At camp used to have one of those canned air fog horns scared the crap out of any animal. Think you can still get them on amazon.

bud16415

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 03:45:59 pm »
Bear spray was my first thought as well and keep food and drinks out of the area. A handgun might not be the best plan for the rest of the time also if they are becoming a problem. Something is bringing them in and most of the time it is food. They love bird feeders here. Get rid of the feeders. Etc. 

SnowHot

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 04:49:34 pm »
Bear spray was my first thought as well and keep food and drinks out of the area. A handgun might not be the best plan for the rest of the time also if they are becoming a problem. Something is bringing them in and most of the time it is food. They love bird feeders here. Get rid of the feeders. Etc.
I was thinking the same thing about a handgun near the hot tub. We tend to be enjoying an adult beverage when we're in the hot tub.
Adult beverages and guns don't tend to be a good combination.

39lasalle

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 06:10:50 pm »
I was thinking the same thing about a handgun near the hot tub. We tend to be enjoying an adult beverage when we're in the hot tub.
Adult beverages and guns don't tend to be a good combination.

So you are saying drinking alcohol in a hot tub of water is responsible....   Actually,drinking in a tub of water is probably a worse combination than sitting water with a gun on a ledge within arms reach!

Off to look for statistics!

39lasalle

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 06:53:14 pm »
http://www.seattlepi.com/national/article/Someone-drowns-in-a-tub-nearly-every-day-in-1201018.php

http://danger.mongabay.com/injury_death.htm

Just a couple quick links

While a gun sitting on the shelf within arms length is not going to kill me an alcoholic drink and fighting off dehydration is a very serious concern!

But hey, to each their own

SnowHot

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 07:39:22 pm »
HAHA, really, we're going there.

I never said a gun near a hot tub was unsafe, so please don't put words in my post.

Its not a stretch of the imagination that someone in a hot tub may have an adult beverage.
My personal rule of thumb is, I don't get my guns out if I'm drinking adult beverages, and I don't start drinking adult beverages when I have my guns out.
I do, however, drink responsibly in my tub(with non breakable drink ware)  Cheers

39lasalle

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 07:49:00 pm »
You brought the alcohol amd guns to the discussion. I more or less was wondering what other people living in these types of areas were doing for protection when most vulnerable!

SnowHot

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 07:58:48 pm »
I do live in this type of area. Bear and coyote are a common concern.  It just so happens that we have a fairly well fenced back yard so we haven't (yet) had a bear come into our spa space, but I would think Bear Spray is a good bet.

I just got back from Outdoor Retailer Summer Market Place in SLC. I was amazed at the variety of sprays and canisters for bear.
Here is just one option

I became more alert to this after a friend's husband and daughter were attacked in MT last year.

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/archive/article-05b03424-9722-11e6-90a6-27f2be011535.html

39lasalle

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 08:09:36 pm »
I agree... normally I carry all the time and am grateful that my employer allows us to crry as well.  Most nights when I get home, usually just strip down on the porch throw gun/holster on picnic table (within eyesight) and jump in!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 10:26:53 pm »
   If you have drank enough for you to die in a hot tub your an idiot, and probably should win a Darwin award.   If your worried about being attacked by a bear while getting into or using your spa, your paranoid.   I carry, most of the time, I have six acres that's pretty secluded in NW Washington.  Last thing I think about is a bear killing or attacking me when I get home, I do think of and usually have a beer though before getting in and while soaking. 

This was taken about 5 miles or less give or take from my house a couple of days ago.  Granted it's a black bear, but still a bear.     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH6JbZB02YM
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 10:34:33 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 10:43:59 pm »
Lots of bears around my house. I am more concerned about driving to work, or anywhere. If you worry about bears more than driving your priorities and messed up.
Retired

SnowHot

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 02:33:18 am »
   If you have drank enough for you to die in a hot tub your an idiot, and probably should win a Darwin award.   If your worried about being attacked by a bear while getting into or using your spa, your paranoid.   I carry, most of the time, I have six acres that's pretty secluded in NW Washington.  Last thing I think about is a bear killing or attacking me when I get home, I do think of and usually have a beer though before getting in and while soaking. 

This was taken about 5 miles or less give or take from my house a couple of days ago.  Granted it's a black bear, but still a bear.     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH6JbZB02YM
I saw a news story about that bear in the pool.  Yikes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 02:33:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42