What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Issues with Floating Spa Frog System  (Read 4863 times)

bradleyabell

Issues with Floating Spa Frog System
« on: October 03, 2017, 07:47:08 am »
I have had my tub for over a week now and I have used the spa frog start up packet and then inserted the mineral+bromine floater into my spa.  Ever since then I have had both cartridges set to 6 (the highest setting).  I am only getting a bromine readout when I use my weekly MPS shock, and even just 1 day after, the bromine is reading 0 again...Any suggestions?

Hot Tub Forum

Issues with Floating Spa Frog System
« on: October 03, 2017, 07:47:08 am »

Conine2965

Re: Issues with Floating Spa Frog System
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 01:59:12 pm »
Something sounds wrong are your sure they are bromine test strips. Shock shouldn't show bromijne

bradleyabell

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 04:00:36 pm »
Something sounds wrong are your sure they are bromine test strips. Shock shouldn't show bromijne

Yes they are the spa frog test strips

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 04:23:02 pm »
I have had my tub for over a week now and I have used the spa frog start up packet and then inserted the mineral+bromine floater into my spa.  Ever since then I have had both cartridges set to 6 (the highest setting).  I am only getting a bromine readout when I use my weekly MPS shock, and even just 1 day after, the bromine is reading 0 again...Any suggestions?

How much are you using the tub? Hours? Number of people? Do you have any bromine booster?
Retired

bradleyabell

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 04:57:27 pm »

How much are you using the tub? Hours? Number of people? Do you have any bromine booster?

Once a day for maybe 30 minutes with 2 people total. I added sodium bromide around 4 days ago.

bradleyabell

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 05:51:33 pm »

I don’t think this is 100% true as the shock reactivates the bromine bank.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 02:14:56 pm »
Shouldn't take much more than 3-5 days at the most for Bromine readings to appear assuming you have added your sodium bromide and have installed the floater to a high enough setting.  Anything "optional" or "unusual" going into the water that would affect those readings? Is there a higher setting on the floater? I'm not a fan of the Frog system at all so I'm not really sure what other troubleshooting you could do? I know there are plenty of guys on here that sell it so maybe they have some ideas

Sam

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 02:21:54 pm »
You're probably just using it up as fast as it's dissolving.  I always recommend that people on this system have some granular chlorine or bromine on hand to boost it when needed. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 11:49:45 pm »
Did you check for phosphates in the tub?  Did you use a metal remover upon fill up? Not a huge fan of the bromine system. I think the @ease system works much better

bradleyabell

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 07:32:36 am »
I actually called Spa Frog yesterday and they seem to think its something to do with film in the plumbing of the tub from the factory??  Has anyone heard of this?  They said if I run the plumbing cleaner through the lines and then drain and re-fill it may fix the issue.

I have the bromine and mineral both set to 6 (the highest setting).  Should I be adding some MPS after each dip in the tub to maintain a higher level?

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 01:50:58 pm »
Did you check for phosphates in the tub?  Did you use a metal remover upon fill up? Not a huge fan of the bromine system. I think the @ease system works much better

Good call, hopefully your local dealer has access to a digital water tester or at minimum test strips to test for phosphates which can def. impede Bromine production

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 01:53:54 pm »
I actually called Spa Frog yesterday and they seem to think its something to do with film in the plumbing of the tub from the factory??  Has anyone heard of this?

This is possible but dang. A brand new spa with water only put in it to test for a short time it seems unlikely that biofilm could of built up that quickly to a point where it's eating all your bromine.
Retired

Sam

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 02:03:26 pm »
I actually called Spa Frog yesterday and they seem to think its something to do with film in the plumbing of the tub from the factory??  Has anyone heard of this?

This is possible but dang. A brand new spa with water only put in it to test for a short time it seems unlikely that biofilm could of built up that quickly to a point where it's eating all your bromine.

They do not evacuate all of the plumbing from the lines.  It's not unusual for a hot tub to sit in the summer time heat for a couple of weeks waiting to be delivered.  In that time, the water in the plumbing can easily develop contamination.  I've had hot tubs sit for months due to construction delays.

bradleyabell

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 09:51:14 am »

Yes I did use a metal remover upon filling.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 09:51:14 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42