What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Operator  (Read 2546 times)

spcial_k

New Operator
« on: March 20, 2017, 03:35:36 pm »
Long story short. House has a hot tub(Down East brand). Hot tub was never used in the past 15 years. I decided to fill her up and tried to run the Spa. Everything seems to work. Jets/Blowers/Heaters/Single Light. The one item that seems to be broken is the Pressurized Filter Canister. I removed the lid to find broken plastic seal. From my understanding, i have to replace the entire assembly, because of the pressurized filter system. I look forward to using this Spa. I intend to post pictures of the unit and will have plenty of questions in the future about maintenance(chemicals/flush/draining/upgrading features). I am happy to have found a useful forum of experienced people.

Hot Tub Forum

New Operator
« on: March 20, 2017, 03:35:36 pm »

spcial_k

Re: New Operator
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 03:50:35 pm »
I busted out my old rainbow RCF-25 Filter Assembly unit. I'm looking to replace the unit and have noticed they make FPT and Slip connections. Which is easier to work with? I had to cut the sucker out and i expect i will have to couple a few pipe fittings together. Any recommendations?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 05:59:16 pm »
I busted out my old rainbow RCF-25 Filter Assembly unit. I'm looking to replace the unit and have noticed they make FPT and Slip connections. Which is easier to work with? I had to cut the sucker out and i expect i will have to couple a few pipe fittings together. Any recommendations?

Is it flex tube? Use a file and rough sandpaper to smooth off any burrs. Save as much hose as you can when your ripping it out. Slip connectors are easier but some say FPT are better, Can you glue? Clean and smooth all surfaces well. Use plenty of good quality silicon sealer on all sealing surfaces up on the top. Do the lower plumbing before you seal down the top, makes it easier. You could also barb, glue and clamp below plumbing. Usually gluing slip connectors is plenty good. Glue them nice and wet and spread well inside. DO NOT water for 24 hrs. Use street 90's if your making any sharp turns. 2"? 2 1/2? 3" lines? Is one for the foot well pick up line, and one to the pump? Flapper in between? The fittings are on the new housing right? I didn't look it up.

You said it's 15 years old and not run for 15? Or is it older? Either way you are likely going to need new pump seals and may have other age related issues wet or not. Sometimes dry is worse. Is it inside or outside and where do you live? 220V? 1 or 2 pumps?

Sorry, maybe more questions than answers.
Retired

spcial_k

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 12:04:49 pm »
i appreciate all the questions. They help plenty. i assume plumbing is pluming. i'm familiar with plumbing indoor pipes(pvc/copper) i assume the spa is the same concept minus the flex lines. i've worked with flex plumbing in the home as well.

I don't know what a foot well is. The flapper is located on the inline port of the filter.

The unit is probably older. The unit is inside a sunroom, so it's never had to deal with outdoor elements minus the when the doors are open. 220v is ran to the unit. i believe there are 2 pumps. Like my first post, everything was functioning properly when i first ran her. minus overflowing water from the filter due the pressure not being able to be built up. I am in the process of ordering a replacement filter assembly.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 06:15:46 pm »
i appreciate all the questions. They help plenty. i assume plumbing is pluming. i'm familiar with plumbing indoor pipes(pvc/copper) i assume the spa is the same concept minus the flex lines. i've worked with flex plumbing in the home as well.

I don't know what a foot well is. The flapper is located on the inline port of the filter.

The unit is probably older. The unit is inside a sunroom, so it's never had to deal with outdoor elements minus the when the doors are open. 220v is ran to the unit. i believe there are 2 pumps. Like my first post, everything was functioning properly when i first ran her. minus overflowing water from the filter due the pressure not being able to be built up. I am in the process of ordering a replacement filter assembly.

The flapper is for the bypass lines that protect the pump. If the filter gets plugged the flapper opens up and allows water to bypass the filter.

The bypass lines are in the foot well of the tub, down where your feet go.
Retired

spcial_k

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:59:51 am »
*Update on my Hot tub.

I recently got the Filter cartridge installed on my unit. I filled her up and turned everything on. This is my ancient control panel.https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U36NFxpGfwd2DeywbL6-au9W-tUZyqInCA

I also have these two valves, I don't know what they are called or what they control. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vmQgH2l0jYbk1dcm5fYezkmZ1vWh4CZrmg

I'm trying to understand how the unit works. I found that the Blower controls the little small holes of air bubbles throughout the tub. When I have it set to Jets, I don't know what is suppose to be operating. I don't see a difference between Jets and cycling. Cycling would be water just circulating throughout the unit through the main Jet. Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:56:50 pm by spcial_k »

spcial_k

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 01:20:13 pm »
i realize you guys may not have been able to view the images posted. I apologize! Through trial and error, i have figured out what the 2 knobs/valves do. 1 adds air to the main jet that circulates water. The other valve activates other jets allowing air to bubble from those jets. This leads me to my next series of questions about jets. From playing with the hot tub, I'm starting to realize there are 2 types of jets. 1 that adds bubbles, and another that shoots out water. Does this sound correct when it comes to a hot tub?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 01:20:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42