What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: tax deduction for hot tub cost/installation  (Read 3107 times)

lovejoyland

tax deduction for hot tub cost/installation
« on: March 27, 2017, 02:41:26 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me if they have deducting the cost of their hot tub and installation? My daughter has cerebral palsy, and I have lower back pain from caring for/lifting her. Pain reduction was a major factor in our deciding to buy a hot tub. My daughter is seeing the physical medicine/rehab docs tomorrow so I can ask them to write a letter recommending hydrotherapy. I can also email my doctor and ask that she writes a letter for me. I'm just wondering if a hot tub would count as a medical expense. I understand that you are probably not a tax professional, and therefore cannot give tax advice, I'm just wondering if any of you or your clients have deducted all or part of their hot tub purchase and installation costs successfully. Please let me know.

Thanks!
Vanessa

Hot Tub Forum

tax deduction for hot tub cost/installation
« on: March 27, 2017, 02:41:26 pm »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: tax deduction for hot tub cost/installation
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 02:56:50 pm »
I've haven't heard of anyone successfully getting the cost of the spa written off under insurance for at least 10 years, I have heard in some cases of the sales tax being covered but that's about it.  Doesn't mean you still shouldn't check with YOUR specific doctor/health care provider...Good Luck!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 06:07:14 pm »
I've haven't heard of anyone successfully getting the cost of the spa written off under insurance for at least 10 years, I have heard in some cases of the sales tax being covered but that's about it.  Doesn't mean you still shouldn't check with YOUR specific doctor/health care provider...Good Luck!

Yea I was also under the impression that a tax reduction or even total write off of the taxes for the purchase were as high as it went. But I may be wrong? Still could be a grand?

Retired

TheSunshyn

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:30:03 am »
Get that letter or prescription recommending hydrotherapy from the doctor in order to put it as a medical expense on your taxes. Then probably check with your accountant. You can talk to your insurance about whether there is any possibility of direct compensation, but its a long shot.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 12:01:23 pm »
This topic is the Bigfoot or Yeti of the industry.  I have heard rumors about getting a prescription then turning around and getting a write-off, but in almost 15 years in the industry I have never seen it implemented.  I'd be surprised if there actually was some method that you could use to write this off.  I am hoping I am wrong, however.

But I am rooting for you and if you do indeed get to write it off, please share with the rest of us your experience and process. 

Calisoldier83

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 12:56:43 am »
Interested if this is legal. I would have to amend my tax return, maybe not a good idea as this seems very grey areaish.

MarKee

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 01:25:47 am »
I've always heard that if you have a prescription from a doctor for a hot tub, it can be considered a medical device.  I think in order to qualify for a deduction, the hot tub, installation costs, and any other medical bills you have for the year have to be in excess of 10% of your annual income.

I've heard of numerous customers doing this, so I think it is a legit write-off, but I would consult your CPA.

MarKee

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 01:27:46 am »
Insurance will not cover it though, I've never heard of that working out.

The only scenario where I could see an insurance company covering a hot tub is if you were injured and agreed to a hot tub in lieu of an insurance settlement, which the insurance company deemed as a cheaper way of settling.

lovejoyland

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 08:05:29 pm »
I've always heard that if you have a prescription from a doctor for a hot tub, it can be considered a medical device.  I think in order to qualify for a deduction, the hot tub, installation costs, and any other medical bills you have for the year have to be in excess of 10% of your annual income.

I've heard of numerous customers doing this, so I think it is a legit write-off, but I would consult your CPA.

This seems to be the case according to Turbo Tax. Thanks for the input!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 08:05:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42