What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: JED 203 Ozonator & Bullfrog Spa  (Read 4075 times)

FL Person

JED 203 Ozonator & Bullfrog Spa
« on: March 18, 2017, 11:37:00 am »
Once again, I have to question the information (or lack thereof) I've received from both my Bullfrog dealer and their contracted repair company.  My 2016 Bullfrog R6 spa has a dealer installed JED 203 Ozonator, which was just replaced under warranty.  The repair technician mentioned something about the Venturi that the Ozonator is connected to.   In doing some research, I've discovered that the JED 203 has an internal electric pump to inject the Ozone into the spa.  This statement is directly taken from the JED 203 Installation Instructions"For all models, excluding the JED 203 & 603, suction is required to get ozone into the water."  This clearly indicates that a Venturi is not used with the JED 203, as the Ozone is injected by way of an internal electric pump.  I have to question whether this system is installed correctly.  If there is in fact a Venturi installed, it appears there should not be.

Also, the JED 203 documentation makes several references to operating the Ozonator (ie; switching it On and Off).  The unit is installed under the front apron of my Bullfrog R6. It has no independent, accessible control switch.   It appears the control panel on the the "A" model Bullfrog Spas has an "Ozone" selection.  For the "X" models, the Bullfrog Owners manual states, "Ozone Purifier:  The optional ozone purifier runs during filter cycles and whenever the spa is heating." 

Nowhere in the 2016 Bullfrog owners manual is there any mention of when the Ozonator will operate on the R model or how to control it.  I can only assume it functions automatically during filter and heating cycles as it does on the "X" Bullfrog models?

Any comments?

FL Person
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 03:53:18 pm by FL Person »

Hot Tub Forum

JED 203 Ozonator & Bullfrog Spa
« on: March 18, 2017, 11:37:00 am »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: JED 203 Ozonator & Bullfrog Spa
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 10:54:15 pm »
Is that the ozone system Bullfrog uses or is it a aftermarket one?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 11:49:45 pm »
 It's after market.   I talked to him today for quite awhile, nice guy and we had a good conversation.   For one, I don't know why his dealer is using that system but he is.  And that being said the dealer nor the tech (thought trying) really know WTF they are doing or really talking about in many ways.  He is going to shoot me a few pic's of the install on the ozone so will see what we see.   

He is more or less really frustrated with what's going on, can't say I blame him!   

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 12:14:56 am »
That's what I was thinking. I had never seen that unit before and thought they used a ozone system similar to the ones we use in Marquis. He's a perfect example of buying not only the right Tub but the right dealer

FL Person

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 08:49:24 am »
Is that the ozone system Bullfrog uses or is it a aftermarket one?

Yep...it's an aftermarket/dealer installed Ozone unit. 

I'm somewhat surprised that it's as obscure as it is, considering most of the "factory" internal components seem to be parts from third party manufacturers such as Balboa, Gecko, etc. Here's a like to JED Engineering's site.

It's after market.   I talked to him today for quite awhile, nice guy and we had a good conversation.   For one, I don't know why his dealer is using that system but he is.  And that being said the dealer nor the tech (thought trying) really know WTF they are doing or really talking about in many ways.  He is going to shoot me a few pic's of the install on the ozone so will see what we see.   

He is more or less really frustrated with what's going on, can't say I blame him!   

Yes, thanks for taking the time to speak with me, Jim.  Really much appreciated.  Pictures sent to your email yesterday afternoon.

FL Person
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:11:04 pm by FL Person »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 08:49:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42