What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Decision Hot Spring vs Caldera  (Read 13101 times)

Coolio

Hot Tub Decision Hot Spring vs Caldera
« on: February 11, 2017, 10:07:16 pm »
Hi All,

I'm a first time spa owner needing some advice.  We're a family of 4 (me, wife, kids 10 and 12).
I'm trying to decide between:

Hot Spring Limelight Flair $8499 - includes cover, sub panel, Ace Salt Water, Cradle II, steps, chemicals, delivery

Hot Spring Limelight Pulse $9499 - same as above

I can subtract $1000 if they remove the Ace system.  Is it worth it?

Caldera Salina $8999 - includes cover, sub panel, Cradle II, steps, chemicals, Silk Balance, delivery

I'm trying to stay below $10,000.  All of these prices are without tax.

Thanks in advance!

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Decision Hot Spring vs Caldera
« on: February 11, 2017, 10:07:16 pm »

TheSunshyn

Re: Hot Tub Decision Hot Spring vs Caldera
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 11:36:29 pm »
You can't go wrong with either Hot Spring or Caldera. Have you wet tested them? Feel would be the deciding factor for me at that point, assuming good dealer reputation.

Coolio

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 11:44:03 pm »
I'll definitely wet test before I decide.  Is the Ace system worth the $1000?  Would it be worth it stepping up to a better model with each brand?

Thanks!

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 11:19:08 am »
 We have the Caldera Geneva and love it. It is quite similar to the Salina with just a few minor differences it has the frog inline system as does ours and we started with Bromine as the @ease cartridges were not yet out. I went away from bromine and just dose it manually now with Dichlor after usage and non chlorine shock as required. The frog system works fine for giving a constant dose I just found them a little pricey and it is pretty easy to toss a tablespoon of Dichlor in when needed. At first you will be testing non stop everyone does and then you will get a feel for it. I do Dichlor and switch to @ease if I’m going away for a week or more. Less than a week I just turn down heat and dose it heavy.

Likewise the Hot Spring tubs are equally excellent it will be a matter of what feels better and suits your tastes.

Couple things I liked about Caldera was the included GFCI breaker is a dual breaker and the heater is on a separate breaker by itself. we live in a very cold winter area and if the heater ever fails and they all will at some point the tub doesn’t shut down as with a single breaker. It goes into survival mode telling you that you have a heater issue and then slowly circulates the water in the tub to keep pipes from freezing until you can get service. I also liked the fibercor insulation used in the tub as it makes plumbing repairs easy to get at. Not sure what Hot Springs is doing.

As to salt I don’t have it but have friends that have added aftermarket salt converters to their tubs for a couple hundred bucks and love the salt feel and that method of sanitizing. They are using an aftermarket product called a saltron mini. If I go salt that’s what I will likely buy. The Ace system works well I’m told but have also heard there are increased down the road costs to keep it going. 

As to specific models it is a personal thing as others have said. I will say a lot of the gimmicky stuff is nice but we find we never hardly put on the water fall and mostly just turn on the basic blue lights at night. Have no desire for music and all that and if we do we just use a boom box. We bought our tub for hydrotherapy first and social second and the jet placements and seating was based around that. Hydrotherapy seats are deeper and angled a little more to hold you in better. we find they are still more than fine for just sitting in with friends as well. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:17:47 pm »
I'll definitely wet test before I decide.  Is the Ace system worth the $1000?  Would it be worth it stepping up to a better model with each brand?

Thanks!

If spa water care doesn't faze you (a simple chlorine or bromine routine is not rocket science, especially if the dealer does well in setting you up with instructions) then save the money and pocket it or use the discount to get more spa. If the Ace system taking you mostly out of the equation is something that really appeals to you then go that route.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Coolio

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 05:39:27 pm »
 Which chemical system would work best so I don't feel like I need to rinse off after using the hot tub every time?  Or is that even an option?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 06:46:27 pm »
I don't think either will be better either way. I use spa frog @ease in my tub. I'm happy with the results. I don't feel all chloriney when I get out. I don't think i would let the Chem system pick out the tub for you. All are good choices. Wet test and see what you like the best

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 11:18:12 pm »
I don't think either will be better either way. I use spa frog @ease in my tub. I'm happy with the results. I don't feel all chloriney when I get out. I don't think i would let the Chem system pick out the tub for you. All are good choices. Wet test and see what you like the best

Wet test and ask your dealer for guidance since they'll be the ones explaining how to maintain it.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Coolio

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 12:48:14 am »
Well, I increased my budget and settled on a Hot Spring Grandee.  I'm putting my order in tomorrow for a 2017 Grandee with Ace, delivery, chemicals, steps, cover, and cover lifter for $12,300 before tax.  Thanks to all of the other posters for some great advice!  Now I need to reinforce my deck to handle this beast.

bud16415

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 08:41:09 am »
Well, I increased my budget and settled on a Hot Spring Grandee.  I'm putting my order in tomorrow for a 2017 Grandee with Ace, delivery, chemicals, steps, cover, and cover lifter for $12,300 before tax.  Thanks to all of the other posters for some great advice!  Now I need to reinforce my deck to handle this beast.

Keep in mind you are dealing with 6000 pounds of weight filled and add in 7 adults that’s at least another 1000 pounds and then a safety factor of at least 3 to 1. That’s 21,000 pound rating of your structure. That’s equal  to 6 mid-size cars over an 8’x8’ area.

I built my own deck and it is only 3’ off the ground so column lengths are short and can carry much more weight. If you are not comfortable with running the numbers for yourself find a structure eng. To help you out with structure and footings.

The guys that delivered my tub never even looked under the deck just asked where does it go? I got to talking with the one guy about decks and he said yours looks good we put some way up in the air with just a few poles holding the deck up. My worst nightmare is that tub taking the deck down so I really overdid it. :)

Good luck you will love your new tub.   

Coolio

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 09:10:31 am »
The tub is going in the corner of my deck against the house and near a post.  The deck is secured to the house.  Fortunately it's only 2 1/2 feet off the ground.  I plan on hanging 2 8' 4x4s across the 2x12 joists.  For posts, I'm using 2 4x4s on cement footers and securing all of the connections with brackets and nails.

Like this:

https://youtu.be/L_dGl5mqGtg

bud16415

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 10:03:20 am »
The tub is going in the corner of my deck against the house and near a post.  The deck is secured to the house.  Fortunately it's only 2 1/2 feet off the ground.  I plan on hanging 2 8' 4x4s across the 2x12 joists.  For posts, I'm using 2 4x4s on cement footers and securing all of the connections with brackets and nails.

Like this:

https://youtu.be/L_dGl5mqGtg

That should help a lot and with a 30’ deck height the 4x4’s will be fine.

Only thing I would caution on is if you are in a frost zone you must set your footers below the frost line. My deck isn’t attached with a ledger to the house it is designed free floating and I am in a deep frost area where things get set 4’ down.

The video shows them being placed on top of sod. I wouldn’t do that, at least dig them down 6” and leave the soil compacted. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 10:03:20 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42