What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can you put a Stronger pump in a Small spa or is it not that simple ?  (Read 4898 times)

Peterpack

If a small spa comes with a 2HP pump, can you install a 3HP pump in it fairly easily ? or it more complicated than that ?

thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Can you put a Stronger pump in a Small spa or is it not that simple ?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 11:21:15 pm »
You can in some instances. You need to make sure the spa pack can handle the extra amperage or you will lessen the life of the spa pack. I've done it before on Nordic Hot Tubs that I've sold

bud16415

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 08:43:11 am »
To me it is like taking the 200hp engine out of your car and putting a 300hp engine in. The rest of the car is designed around the 200hp stress and strain it can cause. And it cann be done but you will be shortening the life span of the drive train if you run it at the 300hp load.

Tubs are designed and jets are sized (hopefully) around the pressure and flow rate a given pump can put out for the desired lifespan they want it to last for. How much over design there is in a given model is the question.

As mentioned above jumping from 2 to 3hp is going to require more electrical power as well so  things there also need to be over designed to take it or be added. 

I wouldn’t do it myself if you want a more powerful tub or car you should select one with the power to start unless you have the skills to figure it all out.

Peterpack

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 06:25:14 pm »
Thanks guys, it's more because i want a small hot tub because i want it inside and smaller tubs (especially at the price range i am looking at, the lower end), tend to have smaller motors. I do want decent hydrotherapy.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 06:57:49 pm »
Usually smaller tubs have few jets, thereby needing a smaller pump.

Increasing the pump size wont necessarily increase jet pressure. Only so much water can be forced through a specific size of pipe or jet orifice (and as you try to further increase the flow rate, the pump size has to increase logrythmically{sp, I know}) . Doubling the pump size may only increase the flow rate by 10%.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 08:37:58 pm »
Thanks guys, it's more because i want a small hot tub because i want it inside and smaller tubs (especially at the price range i am looking at, the lower end), tend to have smaller motors. I do want decent hydrotherapy.

Hydrotherapy isn't necessarily about HP...........
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 12:47:56 pm »
Usually smaller tubs have few jets, thereby needing a smaller pump.

Increasing the pump size wont necessarily increase jet pressure. Only so much water can be forced through a specific size of pipe or jet orifice (and as you try to further increase the flow rate, the pump size has to increase logrythmically{sp, I know}) . Doubling the pump size may only increase the flow rate by 10%.

The Dr. has some good points, especially regarding smaller cost effective spas.  They plumb and install/use jets solely with COST in mind often times using 10-12 port larger manifolds and very small jets with small nozzles so like Dr. said you could literally double the HP and you may only see a tiny increase in output because to put it in simplistic terms the spa doesn't have the "infrastructure" to handle the increase in HP

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 12:47:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42