What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: person tubs  (Read 14004 times)

Chk

person tubs
« on: January 24, 2017, 02:16:18 pm »

Hi - I am still in the weeding out process in looking for a premium small hot tub.  In looking at the Jetsetter, Bullfrog A5l (I can't see the difference between the A and R, except lights and $1,500) and Marquis Spirit, they are about the same $8,500 price.    Am I wrong?   I was going to check out the D1 and maybe Artic, so can I assume the price is the same?  I'd rather spend a few thousand less but I will spend more if I have to in order to get a the best quality.

Next step is to wet test. But am I on the right track?

Hot Tub Forum

person tubs
« on: January 24, 2017, 02:16:18 pm »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: person tubs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 02:26:11 pm »
The first 3 you mentioned are all great tubs from the top 3 manufacturers in the industry imo, and yes they will all be priced fairly close to each other...I would do some checking on each dealer to make sure they are well reviewed and reputable and see if they allow wet testing of any of those models to help narrow it down but like I mentioned 3 great tubs from great manufacturers so it will come down to what you like the best.

FYI there are a few differences between an A & R model from Bullfrog....R5 has 2 JetPaks, the A version has 3 JetPaks....R has a "basic" control head, A has a touchscreen....R5 has no exterior lighting, A5 has 4 corner exterior lights...R5 has no auxiliary controller to activate the jet pump, the A5 does.

good luck in your search!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 04:50:54 pm »

Hi - I am still in the weeding out process in looking for a premium small hot tub.  In looking at the Jetsetter, Bullfrog A5l (I can't see the difference between the A and R, except lights and $1,500) and Marquis Spirit, they are about the same $8,500 price.    Am I wrong?   I was going to check out the D1 and maybe Artic, so can I assume the price is the same?  I'd rather spend a few thousand less but I will spend more if I have to in order to get a the best quality.

Next step is to wet test. But am I on the right track?

All great choices. Yes, Arctic and D1 have some things the others don't offer and IMO rank higher than a couple of the first three mentioned. So for sure check them both out, both solid manufacturers with good reputations.

And as BF kinda mentioned. Your comfort in the dealer and on your backside is what is important with any of those brands. Listen to the tub running, open it up and look inside. The fit and finish is important after the feel on your butt. Narrow your choices down to a couple by visiting the dealers and see what models they have wet or are willing to get wet (this will also give you a feel for the dealers accommodation/or style/or personality) that will get you closer. Listen to their pitch and research whats fluff and whats solid manufacturing and support after the sale. Then come back and we will keep you going in the right direction. Take your time.
Retired

Chk

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:29:51 pm »
Thank you. I sense the dealer importance too.  I guess the hope is you dont need him but if you do then you want a good one.  Is wet testing the exact model essential or is wet testing a different model acceptable?   The dealers I visited didnt have every model filled. 

Water Boy

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 10:02:58 pm »
Check out the Arctic Spas Fox model. It is available in two different pump and jetting packages to choose from. So, two different price ranges. It is similar in size to the others you are looking at and is on par quaility build wise as the other you mentioned. If you have any questions about Arctic Spas, let me know and I'll be glad to help.

I also highly recommend buying from a good local reputable dealer. Imo, it is at least as important as buying a quality built spa if not more important.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:24:05 pm by Water Boy »
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 10:11:01 pm »
 Everything said here is spot on.    Bullfrog R5L is a great spa, and we are selling them like hotcakes.  One not mentioned is the Jacuzzi J-315 nice spa and worth a look.   

MarKee

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 02:14:21 am »
All good options and I agree with what BullfrogSpasMN said, you're looking at the top 3 on the market. The Marquis Spirit offers a little bit more leg therapy and has the seating laid out to where you could fit up to 4 if you had 4 wanting to use the tub.  I also like the adirondack style seat in the Spirit that is harder to float out of than a traditional lounge.  If therapy is your main focus I would recommend upgrading to the MP160 pump on the Spirit which requires 240V power. For what it's worth, the Spirit model is the #1 selling Marquis model. Good luck in your search.

Chk

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 10:54:28 am »
I just found a D1 dealer close to me. Is the Dupree Bay comparable?  Going to look this weekend.   I'll also check out the Arctic, but that dealer is an hour away in CT.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 04:45:35 pm »
I just found a D1 dealer close to me. Is the Dupree Bay comparable?  Going to look this weekend.   I'll also check out the Arctic, but that dealer is an hour away in CT.

Of those on your list I would put D1 at the very top. Their construction and reputation for reliability and longevity. Combined with my assessment working on a bunch of older ones up to about 5 years ago. My personal favorite combination of jets, water flow and mold is the Nautilus. I know they have changed hands. But that does not always relate to lessor product, and in most cases it has the opposite effect on manufacturing. I have not seen one in a few years. Out of the repair business mostly. But I was married to 2 of them for 10-15 years after warranty. A Nautilus and a Diplomat. I have owned 3 used ones, can't remember the models other than an Aurora, mighta had 2 of those for short periods in my garage. Minor problems, fit and finish held up well and they were one of the most energy efficient I seen. (HS has that top spot IMO)

I have only seen one Bay series. Our closest dealer is twin cities now I think. I'd have to research see if our guy in Duluth still sells them. He changed brands a few times. What ever happened to that guy from Bemidji Mn, Phil, sold D1? He used to post here. Give us the poop.

I think you should go bigger. And square so you gain more views. And invite a couple guests. If you can't wet test that DB don't buy it. And also don't buy it unless you meet the tighter criteria that particular layout would require with placement and seating options.

Oh and BFSM, here's where BF can shine. IF the choice is only 2 seats then the jet pac option is a clear advantage IF you test them all to determine the best fit.

But as far as less plumbing or any of the other alternate facts on your web site and in your video, thats jibberish. Bad choice of sales tactics bud. I would rather have 4 seats that are different and move between them without having to change jet pacs. And risk seal leaks or possibly more noise. Or the potential to spend $ on jet pacs you don't use or need.

But that's just me the OP can decide what he likes.

Please lets try and keep the fluff to the manufacturers web sites. We can go find it ourselves. Don't throw it out here and not expect another opinion Everytime.

Tman=fluff police
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 05:04:23 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 05:42:47 pm »

Of those on your list I would put D1 at the very top. Their construction and reputation for reliability and longevity. Combined with my assessment working on a bunch of older ones up to about 5 years ago. My personal favorite combination of jets, water flow and mold is the Nautilus. I know they have changed hands. But that does not always relate to lessor product, and in most cases it has the opposite effect on manufacturing. I have not seen one in a few years. Out of the repair business mostly. But I was married to 2 of them for 10-15 years after warranty. A Nautilus and a Diplomat. I have owned 3 used ones, can't remember the models other than an Aurora, mighta had 2 of those for short periods in my garage. Minor problems, fit and finish held up well and they were one of the most energy efficient I seen. (HS has that top spot IMO)

I have only seen one Bay series. Our closest dealer is twin cities now I think. I'd have to research see if our guy in Duluth still sells them. He changed brands a few times. What ever happened to that guy from Bemidji Mn, Phil, sold D1? He used to post here. Give us the poop.

I think you should go bigger. And square so you gain more views. And invite a couple guests. If you can't wet test that DB don't buy it. And also don't buy it unless you meet the tighter criteria that particular layout would require with placement and seating options.

Oh and BFSM, here's where BF can shine. IF the choice is only 2 seats then the jet pac option is a clear advantage IF you test them all to determine the best fit.

But as far as less plumbing or any of the other alternate facts on your web site and in your video, thats jibberish. Bad choice of sales tactics bud. I would rather have 4 seats that are different and move between them without having to change jet pacs. And risk seal leaks or possibly more noise. Or the potential to spend $ on jet pacs you don't use or need.

But that's just me the OP can decide what he likes.

Please lets try and keep the fluff to the manufacturers web sites. We can go find it ourselves. Don't throw it out here and not expect another opinion Everytime.

Tman=fluff police

sure thing, I didn't know we were making up rules as we went along but just for you Tman here is a link to the manufacturers website where you can request that exact video:http://www.bullfrogspas.com/brochure-request/#brochure-form or for anyone interested just PM me and I'll send a YouTube link to anyone interested.

TheSunshyn

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 01:39:59 am »

If you're near E. Hartford CT, I can very highly recommend the Caldera dealer there. Been dealing with them for over 15 years already and chose to order a Kauai from them to replace my Tahitian. They've been great, and the tubs are certainly high quality.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 06:17:20 am »
sure thing, I didn't know we were making up rules as we went along but just for you Tman here is a link to the manufacturers website where you can request that exact video:http://www.bullfrogspas.com/brochure-request/#brochure-form or for anyone interested just PM me and I'll send a YouTube link to anyone interested.

Not sure why you would think I would want a copy of a video that is full of a bunch of missinformation.
Retired

Chk

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 08:13:39 am »
Wow - Went to a D1 dealer, the Dupree Bay is 15k.   

39lasalle

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 09:07:11 am »
If still thinking aboit the BullFrog, we went with the A series over the R mostly because of the location of the pump controls.   With the R you would have to physically get up to the control panel where as the A, there is a control button near your location

Water Boy

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 11:10:00 am »
Wow - Went to a D1 dealer, the Dupree Bay is 15k.
Thats crazy! Surely that isn't right. Do they really charge that much for that spa??
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 11:10:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42