What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What to buy?  (Read 20181 times)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: What to buy?
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2017, 03:24:37 pm »
The pros are you use less chemical, less frequent water changes, the water is soft with no chemical smell.  It automatically creates bromine (when the spa is cycling) and you do not have to add it.  You also do not have to shock.  There is an informational YouTube video on it if you're interested.  Those are the pros.  There is also a concern about salt and its corrosiveness.  You will find all sorts of differing opinions on that from dealers to owners.

I will respectfully disagree with using less chemicals and less frequent water changes. The bromine salt systems I have seen smell more than a properly used non salt chlorine system.

And as far as corrosives I see it as these systems add chlorine/bromine even when it is not needed. Versus adding product and allowing it's dissipation so your next soak is in very low levels of sanitizer. If you need sanitizer for a couple hours to kill nasties why introduce it for 24 hours?
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2017, 03:24:37 pm »

meriflower

« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2017, 04:02:03 pm »
So in your experience you would not recommend a salt system?  The pros I listed were from the makers, specific Blu Fusion bromine generator.  You make a good point of sanitizing the water when it is not needed.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2017, 04:04:54 pm »
The pros are you use less chemical, less frequent water changes, the water is soft with no chemical smell.  It automatically creates bromine (when the spa is cycling) and you do not have to add it.  You also do not have to shock.  There is an informational YouTube video on it if you're interested.  Those are the pros.  There is also a concern about salt and its corrosiveness.  You will find all sorts of differing opinions on that from dealers to owners.

I will respectfully disagree with using less chemicals and less frequent water changes. The bromine salt systems I have seen smell more than a properly used non salt chlorine system.

And as far as corrosives I see it as these systems add chlorine/bromine even when it is not needed. Versus adding product and allowing it's dissipation so your next soak is in very low levels of sanitizer. If you need sanitizer for a couple hours to kill nasties why introduce it for 24 hours?

I don't agree, full families that are regular users have water lasting 8-9 months (just sold supplies to a family that went 11 months before it "turned" on them) vs 4-5 months MAX on a traditional system...there is also 0 smell, I have a saltwater tub in the showroom at 3.5 ppm Bromine right now, can't smell anything even if you literally stick your nose 1" above the water.  Also you are not introducing Sanitizer constantly 24 hours per day, you set it/its works based on # of filtration hours and the system itself also has an output # so you can literally dial it in and tell the system if you want 1 ppm, 3 ppm or 7 ppm of Bromine in your water. Slick little system imo, not for everyone, but the people who have it do enjoy the less maintenance and not having to use bromine floaters, stinky chlorine tablets, etc.

Cora5

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2017, 06:05:50 pm »
I'm interested in finding out if anyone here is using this on a Marquis spa. If so, how do you go about finding a professional to install it? Also, let me know if this could void the manufacturers warranty.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:47:00 pm by Cora5 »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2017, 07:16:53 am »

I don't agree, full families that are regular users have water lasting 8-9 months (just sold supplies to a family that went 11 months before it "turned" on them) vs 4-5 months MAX on a traditional system...there is also 0 smell, I have a saltwater tub in the showroom at 3.5 ppm Bromine right now, can't smell anything even if you literally stick your nose 1" above the water.  Also you are not introducing Sanitizer constantly 24 hours per day, you set it/its works based on # of filtration hours and the system itself also has an output # so you can literally dial it in and tell the system if you want 1 ppm, 3 ppm or 7 ppm of Bromine in your water. Slick little system imo, not for everyone, but the people who have it do enjoy the less maintenance and not having to use bromine floaters, stinky chlorine tablets, etc.

I wasn't talking about bromine floaters or chlorine tablets as the least stinky method. I was talking about dichlor and bleach. When used properly the chlorine level when you soak is below 1PPM. And you have driven it up to 5-7 PPM after you soak. 7ppm and 3ppm of bromine or chlorine is smelly. And 1ppm isn't enough after your soak. Hence my disagreement about your assessment.
Retired

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2017, 06:23:46 pm »
What I find interesting and I have an honest question to the pros out there:  These salt systems cost $X to install, but what does it cost to replace in 5 years or so when the cell dies?  From my knowledge it seems its pretty expensive on both ends, but I could totally be wrong. 

My thing is:  Why is the hot tub industry trying to be like the pool industry, when the hot tub industry has so many more options that have most or all of the qualities of a salt system but w/o the cost downsides? 

I ask this as a person with 17yrs exp. in both pool and hot tub water chemistry, without an agenda, and with an honest intention to learn. 

I dont personally like the "salt" systems that are Sodium-Bromide but I get the sales side of it, and the honest and actual benefits.  But I now work for a manufacturer that offers them and I am trying to see if anyone has a deeper, more nuanced vein of knowledge I can draw from.  B/C as of now- I cannot justify the added cost, the cost for replacement, the fact that salt systems are pretty much first gen, and none are really like a pool's salt system. 

Thus I invite further discussion please to gain education on the matter.

Thisismyname

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2017, 06:44:21 pm »
What I've been told recently is a salt system is gonna cost about 1k ish.  And they last maybe 2-4 years then it's another $800-900 to replace the cell.  So in the 1st 4 years of owning a tub I'm in for about 2k. 

I owned my last tub for about 15 years.  Pretty certain I didn't  spend anywhere close to 2k in 15 years.  Probably not even 1k.

I'm sure it has its benefits....for me I get lazy and sometimes don't go in or out to the tub for weeks on end.  This would definitely help.  But I think there are better ways. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2017, 06:44:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42