What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Foam Problem  (Read 4580 times)

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Foam Problem
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 04:27:51 pm »
Also a note on the Hot Tub Serum product I mentioned, it's made by the same company that makes Ahh-Some.

I'm going to check this product out

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 04:27:51 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 04:30:19 pm »
Directly from the APSP, I took a snippet that focused on foaming...

"Spas need to maintain a sanitizer residual at times.  The range for a spa utilizing brominating sanitizers is from a minimum of 2.0 ppm to a maximum of 6.0 ppm total bromine. For chlorinating sanitizers the minimum is 2.0 ppm and the maximum is 4.0 ppm free available chlorine. If these levels are not maintained disease causing bacteria, especially Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Legionella pneumophila, will readily grow and may lead to outbreaks. Both of the sanitizers are also oxidizers.  As oxidizers they help break down organic contaminants from bathers, but in doing so the sanitizer residual can be exhausted quickly. When the sanitizer is depleted microorganisms can flourish. Localities that require automatic chemical feeders with feed back sensors to control chemical regulation aid in maintaining an acceptable residual. Keep in mind that a large influx of bathers can overwhelm the sanitizer even with automatic feeders.

With this information in mind let’s look at some common problems; foaming, pH bounce, clarity and odors.

Foam
Foaming is generally caused by two factors, detergents that have not been thoroughly rinsed from swim suits and cartridge cleaning as well as body oils from bathers. Under certain conditions body oils will be transformed into a soap-like product. Both contaminants result in lowering surface tension of water allowing bubble formation. When the bubbles combine in large amounts foam is the result.  Foam concentrates contaminants, including bacteria and disinfection by-products, and can deposit them directly onto the skin.  This is not a good thing.

Persistent foaming is a basis for draining. If foam develops while the spa is in operation and foam is persistent after the jets and blower are turned off the spa should be closed. Draining, cleaning and refilling are in order.  Sometimes a de-foaming chemical is added over the water surface to reduce or remove the foam. Doing this is only masks the underlying cause, it is not a cure."

I read that the other day.  Chlorine seems to be holding and the foam goes away as soon as the jets are turned off.  Really starting to aggravate me as I've never seen this happen before

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 05:10:25 pm »
I used to recommend you use a foam down product in a spray bottle. Knocks it right down good while your working on a cure. Still use the tub.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 05:10:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42