What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover heat loss  (Read 4204 times)

mpkelley20

Cover heat loss
« on: January 23, 2017, 09:12:20 am »
My dealer (Hottubguy) is also checking on this but figured I'd post here to see if anyone else has this issue.  On a cold day I noticed steam coming out of one side of my cover where the folds meet.  I tried adjusting the pillow flap thing but couldn't get it to completely seal.  My dealer came out to look at it and he moved the cover completely around so the "bad" side was now on the other side but the heat loss was still coming from the original side.

Playing around with the flap and sliding the cover around a bit changes how much air you can feel coming out.  At its best it is tough to tell if any heat is coming out and at its worst you can clearly feel a breeze.  Regardless, a lot of manipulation is needed to get it to its best.

I have Marquis tub with the cover it normally comes with.  Sun something or other with additional flaps that Marquis adds from what I am told.  My dealer is meeting with the Marquis folks this week and will be asking them about this.

Anyone else ever notice this issue?  And I am asking across any brand tub.  Doesn't have to be Marquis.

The scary thing I am thinking about is that the same side is having the heat loss not matter how the cover is turned.  I am thinking it is the tub itself that maybe isn't cut straight or something. 

This issue hasn't caused my tub to lose enough heat to where it can't maintain the temps but I am thinking that my tub might need to kick on more often to heat it up and I could see water loss through evaporation.

Thanks in advance!

Hot Tub Forum

Cover heat loss
« on: January 23, 2017, 09:12:20 am »

Beck0101

Re: Cover heat loss
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 04:12:24 pm »
I've been wondering about the seal on my tub all winter so far.  I too notice a bit of venting around the flap area though this typically is only noticeable immediately after using the spa (pumps running).

My electric increase post-spa ownership is currently about double what I was expecting.  I'm not yet convinced the cover isn't contributing to this unexpectedly high consumption of energy...

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 04:27:57 pm »
Make sure all of your air valves are off before closing your cover.
Retired

mpkelley20

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 08:54:21 am »
Make sure all of your air valves are off before closing your cover.

We have tried it both ways with the air valves on and off.  No difference.  It still "leaks" air from one side.

mpkelley20

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 08:56:24 am »
I've been wondering about the seal on my tub all winter so far.  I too notice a bit of venting around the flap area though this typically is only noticeable immediately after using the spa (pumps running).

My electric increase post-spa ownership is currently about double what I was expecting.  I'm not yet convinced the cover isn't contributing to this unexpectedly high consumption of energy...

Not sure where you live and what you were estimating but here in MA our electric rates are double what the hot tub companies use for estimates.  while they get the per kwh rate usually correct at around 10 cents, it ignores the "deliver fee" that we are charged from the utility which is about 10 cents per kwh also.  so we pay about 20 cents on average.

Beck0101

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:39:00 am »

Not sure where you live and what you were estimating but here in MA our electric rates are double what the hot tub companies use for estimates.  while they get the per kwh rate usually correct at around 10 cents, it ignores the "deliver fee" that we are charged from the utility which is about 10 cents per kwh also.  so we pay about 20 cents on average.

My estimated was based more on a friend who purchased an A7.  Currently my A8 appears to be costing my $80 a month.  In the summer I would have expected to be below $20 and I had assumed the coldest month should be $50 +/-.  $80, currently, appears to be far higher than typical for my electric cost.

scoobywagon02

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 11:04:30 am »
I have seen other brand spas loose heat the exact way you are describing. Turning air valves off will do nothing if you spa is running a circulation pump because the jet pumps are usually not kicking on for circulation. There are a few models that will kick the larger pumps on for a short period twice a day but in my opinion doesn't make a difference. The spa i saw losing heat was running a circulation pump 24/7 and the jet pumps only come on when you turn them on. I am in New England and the best thing to do is get a thermal blanket for you spa. To clarify not the cheap plastic bubble sheet plastic you put on a pool the thicker insulated version. The second it was put in the steam would no longer be coming out of the cover. I am taking night/day difference. Cut to size and use in the winter. I hang mine on my cover lifter while I am in the spa. It does make a difference, trust me.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 01:16:46 pm »
I have seen other brand spas loose heat the exact way you are describing. Turning air valves off will do nothing if you spa is running a circulation pump because the jet pumps are usually not kicking on for circulation. There are a few models that will kick the larger pumps on for a short period twice a day but in my opinion doesn't make a difference. The spa i saw losing heat was running a circulation pump 24/7 and the jet pumps only come on when you turn them on. I am in New England and the best thing to do is get a thermal blanket for you spa. To clarify not the cheap plastic bubble sheet plastic you put on a pool the thicker insulated version. The second it was put in the steam would no longer be coming out of the cover. I am taking night/day difference. Cut to size and use in the winter. I hang mine on my cover lifter while I am in the spa. It does make a difference, trust me.

Agreed Scooby, those foam floating covers make an amazing difference and are easily a break even deal at worst when figuring cost versus savings. ROI.
Retired

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 01:30:25 pm »
Tossing this out as more of a question:  Wouldn't it also work, and possibly be more advantageous, to add a hot tub cover cover to both help with heat loss and to protect the main cover from the elements?  I have zero experience with them but I also don't often need a solar cover either, due to my location.  This is more of a question based in curiosity than as a counterpoint.  I'll hang up and listen.

scoobywagon02

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 02:54:29 pm »
Tossing this out as more of a question:  Wouldn't it also work, and possibly be more advantageous, to add a hot tub cover cover to both help with heat loss and to protect the main cover from the elements?  I have zero experience with them but I also don't often need a solar cover either, due to my location.  This is more of a question based in curiosity than as a counterpoint.  I'll hang up and listen.

So there is a company that we use called spa slip. It is roughly $300 to get a custom made cover for your hot tub. My opinion is that it creates one more thing you need to do get into the spa.  They are a pain to get off when its 20 degrees out. I try to steer people away from it here in New England because most people will make it an excuse to not use their hot tub more I want my customers to use there spa 7 days a week like me. I find the blanket to be easy and does not make me feel like I am doing more work. As I step in I roll it over the lifter and done. 

Alicatt

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 03:10:46 pm »
I use a bubble cover in the summer on my Intex above ground swim pool, it makes a big difference in heat loss, 1°c to 2°c with it fitted compared with 4°c to 5°c without the cover.

mpkelley20

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 03:08:36 pm »

Thanks for the advice.  I may try this is my dealer strikes out with Marquis.  Maybe this issue is pretty common but most people probably don't see it.  Or maybe it's not.  Whatever it is, I want it to stop!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 06:18:26 pm »

I used a fitted sheet to make a cover cover for the stickys that fell off of some trees I had. Just cut it to length and sew it back together. But that won't help the steam much.
Retired

mpkelley20

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 09:13:27 am »
My dealer is going to be checking it out again today.  Marquis gave him some things to check. 

With enough adjustments made to the flap on the side that leaks, I can get it to almost be 100% tight.  But my dealer says it shouldn't require adjustments like that.  Should just close and be tight. 

I am now seeing why having a good dealer is important.  Thankfully I chose well and he's trying everything to fix the issue.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 09:13:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42