What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tub size  (Read 3335 times)

Chk

Tub size
« on: January 03, 2017, 08:20:47 am »
Good morning everyone - I am looking to buy a tub for my new home.  I owned a 6 person Sundance years ago that at most two people used at the same time.   I know I only need room for two so is there any reason to buy a bigger hot tub?  Do larger ones have other benefits?   I live 50 miles north of NYC and have many choices among the premium brands (I hope to keep it about $5 - 7,000).

CH

Hot Tub Forum

Tub size
« on: January 03, 2017, 08:20:47 am »

bud16415

Re: Tub size
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 08:45:10 am »
We have a Caldara Geneva that says it is a 6 person but one seat is what I call the cool down seat as it is pretty high and where we step into the tub. 95% of the time there is one or two of us in the tub and we didn’t buy the larger tub because we wanted something for the 1% or 2% of the time we have 4,5 or 6 people in the tub. We bought the larger tub for its therapeutic benefits and there are really 4 of the 6 locations we use a lot that have jets arranged to give a different experience. The lounger and the deep seat both work on different areas of the body and both have you very deep in the water just head out. the other seats work the lower back and legs and provide a chance to cool down just a little or are perfect for our shorter guests.

We were actually talking about this last night in the tub. She told me how glad she was we got a larger tub as she actually likes to be able to move around and I had to agree. Even though we only have 6 seats we use each seat in a few different ways depending on how we want the jets to feel. I use the deep seat a lot as a recliner and move my back away from the jets on high and stretch out across the tubs letting the jets hold me up. You just couldn’t do that in a 2 seater.

Then there are the times we have 4 in the tub and having friends with a 4 seater there is so much more foot room in the larger tub and knees are not bumping.

We looked at the 8 seat model also and for us that was just overkill. It depends on what you want in a tub is your goal just hot water soak or do you want to have a massage at the same time.

TheSunshyn

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 05:39:46 pm »
I have an old 6 seater Caldera Tahitian Paradise and am downsizing to a 3-seat Caldera Kauai Paradise in a couple weeks. In reality, the Kauai has all the therapy seats we ever actually use in the Tahitian. It lacks a couple jets that I never use and has a couple additions, like wrist jets, which I look forward to. The seats are each setup to concentrate on certain areas so I'll still get full coverage jet-wise just by switching seats when I feel like hitting a different area.

The only thing the Kauai lacks is all the additional seats and room for a bunch of people. Its just my husband and I here, and we've used the hot tub far less for socializing than we had originally thought we would. In the past 15 years, we have only actually had more than 3 in the Tahitian a couple times so I don't think we'll miss it.

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 10:57:18 pm »
I have an old 6 seater Caldera Tahitian Paradise and am downsizing to a 3-seat Caldera Kauai Paradise in a couple weeks. In reality, the Kauai has all the therapy seats we ever actually use in the Tahitian. It lacks a couple jets that I never use and has a couple additions, like wrist jets, which I look forward to. The seats are each setup to concentrate on certain areas so I'll still get full coverage jet-wise just by switching seats when I feel like hitting a different area.

The only thing the Kauai lacks is all the additional seats and room for a bunch of people. Its just my husband and I here, and we've used the hot tub far less for socializing than we had originally thought we would. In the past 15 years, we have only actually had more than 3 in the Tahitian a couple times so I don't think we'll miss it.

You will love the wrist jets, I look forward to that every time. Our Caldera Geneva has a similar seat with them. I was disappointed as the jet caps and spinners came off from the pressure and I found the tabs had broke before it was sold and they were attached with RTV. I complained about it as they couldn’t be glued back on without draining the tub etc. What I found is they work better without the silly spinner things so I just gave up and use it without them.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 07:18:04 am »
Good morning everyone - I am looking to buy a tub for my new home.  I owned a 6 person Sundance years ago that at most two people used at the same time.   I know I only need room for two so is there any reason to buy a bigger hot tub?  Do larger ones have other benefits?   I live 50 miles north of NYC and have many choices among the premium brands (I hope to keep it about $5 - 7,000).

CH

I bought my first 7 person tub with the illusion we would have frequent guests. We kept that tub nearly 10 years and it was 3 of us everynight for a few years, then our daughter moved away it was 2 of us most of the time. In 10 years we had 7 people in it once.  The advantage of having a big tub even when few use it is the ability to move around and get the jets to hit you where it hurts.

When a manufacturer calls a tub a 7 person tub, I always say mine seated 4-5 comfortably.  Our 2nd tub is a 5 person and when our daughter is home, it seats all 3 comfortably with the ability to move around.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 12:40:04 pm »
I'd say that the overwhelming majority of 2nd hot tub purchasers downsize.  Its rare that I find someone who wants to go bigger, and if they do its to get something that fits a taller person who went initially smaller to accommodate a budget. 

As with every hot tub purchase, comfort (Both seating and the feel of the jets), price and familiarity with the dealer are going to be the main qualifiers as it pertains to your next purchase, save for if you specifically want "feature X."

Good luck moving forward.

39lasalle

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 08:20:52 pm »
When my wife and I were shopping, we learned pretty quick to divide the mfg. seating capacity by 2 and that is we what felt was about right.   It is only my wife and I in the tub with no plans to entertain. However we felt that a four person tub was too small. I am 6'5" and she is 5'3". We wound up with the Bullfrog A7L and find it extremely comfortable for the 2 of us.

KristenReed

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 11:54:09 pm »
Hello, guys!!
Hot tubs are ones that provide you with years of entertainment and pleasure, without costing you a fortune to run. But, I had installed a walk-in bathtub in my bathroom because my mother was dealing with mobility issues. Before installing I had scheduled a convenient appointment with the contractor for a walk in bathtub Tacoma (http://www.walkinbathtubwa.com/wheelchair-accessible-bath/), which was recommended by my friend. They have suggested a bathtub with 30" W x 54" L x 38" H size and 20½" of seat width and in additional, they had provided a water jet features which provides a great comfort to my mother.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 11:45:36 pm by KristenReed »

Chk

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 03:51:28 pm »

Great answers.    I had a big tub and only sat in one place, but then I could eat pizza every day for the erst of my life and be happy.   Variety is over rated sometimes.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 03:51:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42