What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bullfrog circ pump - questions on operation  (Read 10945 times)

Beck0101

Bullfrog circ pump - questions on operation
« on: November 11, 2016, 08:06:57 am »
Hello, all.  As a one week new owner of a Bullfrog I'm still deep into learning mode.  I've got an A8L with the circ pump option.

As has been documented on this site several times the description of operation of the circ pump on BF spas is non-existent in the owners manual.  Hence my post.

Should I be able to see the water moving when the tub is in ready mode (no jets running, not during a filter cycle)?  Does this circ pump run 24/7 or only during the programmed filter cycles?  If I am in a timed filter mode with no jets running should I then be able to see water moving and/or hear the circ pump?

I cleaned my filters yesterday and there was a fair amount of junk.  When I removed the first filter I noticed nothing was being pulled into the filter inlet which leads me to believe the pump is not running 24/7 (I did not have the tub on hold).  I haven't yet checked the tub during a filter cycle to see what's happening but I thought I'd post here first.

I'm just curious as to what I should be able to notice when/if the circ pump is running.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Hot Tub Forum

Bullfrog circ pump - questions on operation
« on: November 11, 2016, 08:06:57 am »

Sam

Re: Bullfrog circ pump - questions on operation
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 02:54:18 pm »
By default, the circ pump does not run 24/7.  It's like 4 hours a day I think.  You have to program the filtration cycles to what you want, which is in the owner's manual on the page that talks about your control panel or close to it.  The water will only circulate during those cycles.

Beck0101

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 08:05:38 am »
Very good.  Thank you for your reply.  Quite helpful.

mrgillies

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 04:53:08 pm »
Hello All,

To take this one step further, what's the recommendation on cycle times/temps if you live up North like Michigan? I intend to use the Tub every couple of days, it can get darn cold up here, last year wasn't too bad, however the year before it never got above freezing for 4 months.

Beck0101

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 08:09:56 am »
Hello All,

To take this one step further, what's the recommendation on cycle times/temps if you live up North like Michigan? I intend to use the Tub every couple of days, it can get darn cold up here, last year wasn't too bad, however the year before it never got above freezing for 4 months.

I've so far left my cycles as the stock setup.  I think mine runs 6-9pm and maybe 3-6am?  I don't recall exactly the times but it is two separate three hour cycles.   

I keep my tub at 100 so far.  I'll probably bump it to 101 this weekend and keep it there for the winter.  100 seems just a bit too cool when I first get in...

robertlages

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 04:26:07 am »
same issue with mine - i wasnt sure if Circ pump was working....I did find out that when the Circ pump is on...there is little water movement ...no where near what it is when the jets are on ...if you look close you can see...

mrgillies

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 04:45:00 pm »
Thanks Beck, I'll determine what stock is.

Smack528i

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 07:30:54 am »
The Circ pump is only on for the 2 cycles you program. The only water that moves is via the small outlet where the smal led is on the bottom of the front of the tub.  It will also send some water thru all of the jet packs t the start of each cycle.  I am doing 2 six hour cycles. I might move that up to 8.  The BF circ pump moves up to 7 times more water than pumps that run 24/7 as in Hot Spring spas.  If an BF technical folks can offer more details please do.  This was from one of their CS reps.

Beck0101

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 12:38:40 pm »
The Circ pump is only on for the 2 cycles you program. The only water that moves is via the small outlet where the smal led is on the bottom of the front of the tub.  It will also send some water thru all of the jet packs t the start of each cycle.  I am doing 2 six hour cycles. I might move that up to 8.  The BF circ pump moves up to 7 times more water than pumps that run 24/7 as in Hot Spring spas.  If an BF technical folks can offer more details please do.  This was from one of their CS reps.

I think the small outlet you're referring to is only used on tubs outfitted with an Ozone generator.

Since posting this I've noticed I'm getting flow through two of the four "floor vents", the items with large gray covers, during a filter/heating cycle.  As I do not have an ozone generator the outlet you've mentioned is only a light on my tub.  No plumbing...

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 05:03:57 pm »
Remember guys the amount of time required to filter is variable.
Retired

Beck0101

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 07:50:42 am »

I think the small outlet you're referring to is only used on tubs outfitted with an Ozone generator.

Since posting this I've noticed I'm getting flow through two of the four "floor vents", the items with large gray covers, during a filter/heating cycle.  As I do not have an ozone generator the outlet you've mentioned is only a light on my tub.  No plumbing...

Scratch that.  I was in my tub last night and noticed that I do indeed get flow from that ozone outlet even though I do not have the ozone option.  There is still more flow from the lower vents, however.  Lots more...

TheSunshyn

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 05:04:01 am »
By default, the circ pump does not run 24/7.  It's like 4 hours a day I think.  You have to program the filtration cycles to what you want, which is in the owner's manual on the page that talks about your control panel or close to it.  The water will only circulate during those cycles.

I had no idea that some circulation pumps are not 24/7. I've never even seen settings in my Caldera for changing the circulation pump cycles. Mine is extremely energy efficient and runs 24/7. Now I need to check and make sure the new Kauai I just ordered still has a 24/7 circulation pump because I've always considered that one of its better features - keeps things clean and always hot.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 11:23:42 am »

I had no idea that some circulation pumps are not 24/7. I've never even seen settings in my Caldera for changing the circulation pump cycles. Mine is extremely energy efficient and runs 24/7. Now I need to check and make sure the new Kauai I just ordered still has a 24/7 circulation pump because I've always considered that one of its better features - keeps things clean and always hot.

it's subjective and a lot of times depends on past experiences, guys who have owned 24/7 circ pump tubs and have had good luck usually search that feature out again because they have a perceived value for that particular feature, on the flip-side I've had customers burn through 3-4 circ pumps over a 10 year span, they are usually looking for something without a dedicated 24/7 circulation pump.

It's really a 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other scenario, a good salesperson (depending on what brand/model they are trying to sell you) can easily send you out of their store believing either A. you're a fool to even consider a spa without a 24/7 circ pump or B. a 24/7 circ pump is a huge waste of money and it's foolish to even consider.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 12:16:57 pm »

Your caldera circ pump will run 24/7. Bullfrog and a few other manufacturers use a bigger circ pump that doesn't need to run as often.

TheSunshyn

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 11:26:22 pm »
Your caldera circ pump will run 24/7. Bullfrog and a few other manufacturers use a bigger circ pump that doesn't need to run as often.

Oh good. After about 12 years we had to replace ours, just the once.
I'm guessing that if the larger ones turn on and off a lot they might experience more wear and tear as well so may be more susceptible to breaking down?

I recently was told that no circulation pump meant that a smaller spa I was looking at would have to use a jet pump whenever it needs to bring the heat back up. If they all do that, it pretty much excludes me from getting something without a circulation pump. Even minor shaking from a jet pump can become painful on my bad days which is when I most need to just soak in the spa.

Thank you. This really reinforces that I made the right decision for me going with another Caldera. The other brand I was looking at was Bullfrog.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 11:29:57 pm by TheSunshyn »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 11:26:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42