What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Scum line  (Read 3208 times)

dishdude

Scum line
« on: October 24, 2016, 12:31:13 am »
I have a slight scum line built up on the side of my Hot Spring Envoy. What can I use to clean it? I don't think I am due for a drain and refill yet, I did one back in January but the water still seems fresh and PH and other levels are good. It has the ACE system.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:33:38 am by dishdude »

Hot Tub Forum

Scum line
« on: October 24, 2016, 12:31:13 am »

39lasalle

Re: Scum line
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 06:08:47 am »
My used one of those "magic erasers" on oir and worked well.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 06:57:09 am »
I have a slight scum line built up on the side of my Hot Spring Envoy. What can I use to clean it? I don't think I am due for a drain and refill yet, I did one back in January but the water still seems fresh and PH and other levels are good. It has the ACE system.

Your not replacing your water enough.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 07:01:34 am »

January?   I change my water about every 3-4 months.  Magic erasers do work , but can leave a soap residue, so go ahead and use them and then dump your water!
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

someguy

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 07:58:32 am »
Be sure to use an effective plumbing and jet cleaner before you drain the hot tub.  What you see is probably biofilm that is internalized inside the plumbing of all hot tubs.  The single biggest reason for water maintenance frustration is caused by biofilm in the plumbing.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 08:40:16 am »
I think with the ACE system hot springs recommends yearly water changes not every 3-4 months

someguy

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 11:16:39 am »
Changing the water only once per year is absolutely not enough.  Twice per year would be a minimum for hot tubs with average usage.  Again, changing the water is great for ridding the tub of high TDS levels.  Water maintenance and clarity is greatly enhanced when water changes and plumbing purges are performed at regular intervals.  Hot tub owners need to use an effective "purge" or "flush" product just prior to draining.  Just draining and adding new water is foolish without cleaning the plumbing.  No matter what you use for water maintenance or whatever sanitizer you choose to use on an ongoing basis, there will be "Biofilm" lurking within the system.  This is known science.  Many dealers try to downplay the need for using plumbing cleaners and I cannot understand why when there is a plethora of scientific data that shows the need to use a good and effective cleaner.  Biofilm is like plaque on your teeth.  You brush daily and eliminate most of it.  You need to "chemical" brush your plumbing and jets to eliminate or reduce the bio-buildup.  Please read about biofilm in hot tubs.  Hot tub owners who follow a "purge & drain" protocol every 4-6 months have much easier maintenance and much higher water quality feel and clarity.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 11:16:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42