What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New buyer, bit overwhelmed, purchased Jacuzzi J-275 today?!  (Read 7707 times)

uofmrapper

New buyer, bit overwhelmed, purchased Jacuzzi J-275 today?!
« on: September 11, 2016, 10:24:40 pm »
Hi all.... BEAR WITH THE NEWBIE HERE  ;D

So I am new to the hot tub world and have been looking around online the last few weeks gathering information.  I still don't understand all the of the real technical stuff about Ozone generators and circulation pumps and what is really necessary.  I wanted to be around $5000 (I assume it will be more based on features I would like) but have enough room for my wife and I our 4 young children.  I would like an 8'x8' but seems out of the question unless I get one online and from what I can tell, that is not a recommended approach around here.  I guess I would agree - while I am handy, not sure I want to get myself into that.  So I went to the local dealer that sells Jacuzzi, Sundance, Artesian and some other I don't remember.

Was hoping to find something with a dual lounger for when myself and my wife are both in it - the kids don't need seats as they're gonna splash around and play.  Any other time, it would likely only be us and another couple (maybe 3 adult couples at most) so a 5-6 seater with dual lounger would be great.  The sales guy told me that would be hard to come by in my range.  They had a 7.5' x 7.5' Artesian that I guess they purchased a lot of so they could sell it at like $6200 (looked like an 850L - had a single lounger and waterfall in the headrest of one of the other seats).  Seemed like a good deal but he kind of sold me on the Jacuzzi.  I guess this weekend there was a deal (never know whether to believe them or not) on the Jacuzzi with a rebate.  The J-275 was really similar but had the Jacuzzi name brand and was more energy efficient.  Also has the clearray technology which seemed good to us because one our little ones is somewhat sensitive to chlorine and he made it seem like you put significantly less chemicals in the Sundance/Jacuzzis with the clearray system.  With the deal this weekend and paying cash, I got him down to $7500 out the door with cover and delivery, first set of chemicals, standard stairs.  I only put a $500 deposit that is fully refundable - really nice guy who said I could go back home and think about it, research more, work out some more finances etc. 

So my questions
1) Is this a good deal for this tub?
2) Is there a dual-lounger that is decent that I could get in this range?
3) He said the Jacuzzi would cost maybe $30/month to run (in Michigan) versus the Artesian which would be closer to like $50-60/month.  Does this sound accurate?  If so, it is only a couple of years and I make up the difference in the cost of the Jacuzzi...
4) I see there's no circulation pump - is that a big deal?  didn't come up in our convo today
5) Are there other brands I should consider first?  Did not go to other dealers yet.
6) Is the clearray technology all it's cracked up to be?
7) any other general thoughts are greatly appreciated as I'm just wondering if I've jumped in too quick.  I do plan to try to do a wet test this week but they don't have that exact model in stock.  They have a J-235 so I'm going to try and get them to fill that one.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

New buyer, bit overwhelmed, purchased Jacuzzi J-275 today?!
« on: September 11, 2016, 10:24:40 pm »

ray

Re: New buyer, bit overwhelmed, purchased Jacuzzi J-275 today?!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:53:42 am »
hi there... i'm a rookie myself and bought my tub last friday.  :)  1st question... did you wet test the tub you are looking at?  very important... it might look nice and all... but when you sit in it (with water).... it might not feel right... i wanted a lounger at first... but the lounger is not for everybody... for example... i tested the caldera cantabria with the lounger... that lounger is for tall people... my face was in the water... then of course you have to consider your wife... if you get one with a double lounger (not even sure if there is one)... might fit you but how about the wife... are you the same height?  just a thought... i also liked those tubs with the foot dome... they have jets for your feet and also serves as an anchor so you're not getting blown away if you decide to blast the jets for your back.. little things like that... another example... just by looking... wife and i preferred the hotsprings... for its looks... and has the moto massage... i wet tested it... turns out it wasn't for me... went with the jacuzzi until i wet tested the sundance... same features and everything but $2K+ cheaper... and of course... it felt right when i wet tested it... so don't rush... take your time... wet test all you are considering before buying.  personally... i would shy away from the lounger.  happy hunting!  :)

DKRanger22

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 12:08:15 pm »
The only tub that I am aware of with a double lounger is the Bullfrog A8D (perhaps there are others).  It will probably be a bit out of your price range, though.  Ray offers solid advice - before you choose, you really should take the time to wet test before you buy.  Especially any tub with a lounger - they don't fit everyone the same, and the last thing that you want is to go through the trouble of getting this thing home, fill it up and find out that you and/or your wife float out of the lounger because you didn't try it out first.   I think it would be wise to hit the pause button while you do some wet testing!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 12:11:56 pm by DKRanger22 »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 01:46:16 pm »
Caldera tarino is about a 7x7 tub with double lounge.  Marquis resort which I have is a lounge and then a second seat similar to a lounge.  That tub would be more then what you are looking to spend though.  Tarino  is going to be in your price range

uofmrapper

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 05:06:43 pm »
Thanks Ray.  We are planning on doing a wet test this week.  As I mentioned, they don't have the exact model in stock to try out so I'm hoping they will fill the J-235 they had on the floor instead which just seems to be the 7' model of the 7.5' J-275.

@Ray - the Sundance was cheaper than the Jacuzzi?  I thought the Sundance spas were more expensive according to what the sales guy said.

Looking for answers to the other questions too....thanks everyone!

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 01:23:09 pm »
As far as the cost/month:  I personally believe that all tubs, for the most part, run close enough that the monthly bill will not be the determining factor.

I sell units with a circ pump and others without.  I have never seen enough evidence on either side of the argument to say one way is *the* way to go.  I say that b/c none of the salemanship in the world can deter you from the fact that the overwhelming majority of all things start with water chemistry.  You take care of your water and keep it balanced, you will not have near the issues you'd have with water out of balance.  That leads me to...

Clear Ray.  Full disclosure:  I do not sell products from Apollo Group.  But I do sell Crystal AOP, etc from Artesian Spas.  Look-  They are neat and they are nice and if you're getting if for free- Right on!  But I don't over sell in-line ozone/sanitizer systems b/c of the aforementioned paragraph above.  Water chemistry is A, B, C, D, E, F & G when it comes to the overall outlook on your hot tub.

Additionally- Though I like where your mind is at with all the questions, don't bury the lead:  Is the tub you're looking at comfortable?  Do you like the way the jets feel?  Is the dealer reputable?  These are the most important questions.   These other things are nice to investigate but should not be the deciding factor in your purchase.

Catalina Spas and Artesian Spas offer dual lounges.  I don't sell them though, as lounges can encourage women and children to float.  Half of my initial sales are lounger units.  But for those on their second purchase, I'd say 75% go all seats.

I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

ray

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 06:14:39 pm »
Thanks Ray.  We are planning on doing a wet test this week.  As I mentioned, they don't have the exact model in stock to try out so I'm hoping they will fill the J-235 they had on the floor instead which just seems to be the 7' model of the 7.5' J-275.

@Ray - the Sundance was cheaper than the Jacuzzi?  I thought the Sundance spas were more expensive according to what the sales guy said.

Looking for answers to the other questions too....thanks everyone!

I think they are having "special deals"... :)  discounts and manufacturer rebates going on... original price for jacuzzi j 495 was around $17k but after discounts... $14k.. not sure about the sundance aspen's original price though... i think $19k but after everything... $12800 out the door... maybe hottubguy can verify original price of Aspen... or if sundance is really more expensive than jacuzzi

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 06:23:04 pm »
Aspen and 495 are almost identical. They should be priced about the same.  The jacuzzi dealer will say jacuzzi is better sundance will say sundance is better but they are almost identical tubs. Jet pattern is a bit different but other then that very similar

uofmrapper

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 02:28:19 pm »
so the place I bought from won't fill up the J-235 they have in stock.  They want me to try one of the 300 models...the 355 I think.  I'm not excited about purchasing a tub I can't try first after reading the comments on here.  Unfortunately, they said if I get it delivered and don't like it for whatever reason, my only option is to "trade up" and get a more expensive tub.

is this common practice?  Seems like for most of you, you were able to wet test the actual tub you bought.  Is that because you wet tested and liked it then purchased it?  Or did the dealers accommodate you and let you try out the model you were interested in? 

I'm close to cancelling my deal...

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 08:34:34 pm »
Wet tests are hard around here also. Ask your dealer if he would buy without wet testing.
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 09:47:19 pm »
so the place I bought from won't fill up the J-235 they have in stock.  They want me to try one of the 300 models...the 355 I think.  I'm not excited about purchasing a tub I can't try first after reading the comments on here.  Unfortunately, they said if I get it delivered and don't like it for whatever reason, my only option is to "trade up" and get a more expensive tub.

is this common practice?  Seems like for most of you, you were able to wet test the actual tub you bought.  Is that because you wet tested and liked it then purchased it?  Or did the dealers accommodate you and let you try out the model you were interested in? 

I'm close to cancelling my deal...

I'm a dealer....I would say less then 5% of people who buy actually wet test. The majority of the people who buy sit in the tub empty but don't actually wet test. I have 3 220 lines at my store and do my best to accommodate people who wish to wet test. I think this year I've had 5 or so people actually wet test the tub. All 5 bought. I encourage people to do this but for whatever reason most people choose not too. If it came down to making a sale or not a company would be stupid not to fill a tub for you to try

uofmrapper

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 04:42:58 pm »
thanks hottubguy....I have called 3 other Jacuzzi dealers in the area and they all said they have a few tubs on the floor to try out but they are all higher-end models in the 3XX series.  I'm hesitant to even try out a 3XX series because 1) I probably can't afford it, 2) the jets aren't even the same on the 2XX series so I feel I would get spoiled and then be disappointed.  2 of the dealers have the J-275 on the floor and are checking on filling it up.  But I've heard from 2 of them that once they fill a tub, they have to sell it as a "floor model" so they take a hit on it so they're hesitant to do it.

So hopefully I'll get to try the J-275 this week.  After researching more, I'm feeling like I'm getting a low-end model because it only has the "classic" jets and not the fancier ones starting on the J-3XX series...anyone have any thoughts on the J-2XX jets?  I don't really need anything fancy, but for all the money, don't want it to feel cheap either.

39lasalle

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 09:49:28 pm »
Ok... Nt really sure if I should reply but what the hell...

We tried the Jacuzzi j355 and my wife couldnt get comfortable at all in it.   Since the moment we got in I could tell she couldn't brace herself comfortably.    The HS envoy was right next to the Jacuzzi so we got in that but the envoy does not have the lounger that I want.   We did like the Envoy better obviously.    Drove over an hour to the next dealer because they had the HS Flair(which we wanted.  I liked, wife would not fit in lounger at all. 

The dealer we tried the Flair out at was maybe 10miles out of our area and it is a shame, I would have bought the HS Flair right then and there, but, and this is what kills me as a consumer, they told me I had to go to anothe rdealer closer to my house!!!!!!!

Sorry, no one tells me where to spend my money, except maybe my wife, lol.

We did not like our local HS or Jacuzzi dealer(same ).   

At that point, started doing even more research and found a dealer I like that sold another brand and concluded this other brand and dealer was a better fit for our needs!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 09:49:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42