What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New tub owner Bromine or Chlorine??  (Read 7701 times)

Tonyp884

New tub owner Bromine or Chlorine??
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:23:06 am »
I thought that Bromine was for hot tubs and Chlorine was for pools.
I bought Bromine for my new to me spa.
Should I switch to Chlorine? If so, why?
And if so, do I need to drain the brominated water and start fresh with Chlorine?
thanks,
Tony P

Hot Tub Forum

New tub owner Bromine or Chlorine??
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:23:06 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: New tub owner Bromine or Chlorine??
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:04:12 am »
If your keeping the water clean and nobody in your family has any problems, stick with it.  While I've never used bromine, on of the primary benefit is being able to use a delivery system that floats in the tub and feeds it for you.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

JohnnyK45

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 08:08:30 am »
I also use a chlorine solution that involves me throwing in a pre-measured dissolvable packet after each use, or every couple of days.

goose973

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 08:29:18 am »
It's mostly personal preference. I use chlorine myself, and that works well since I use the tub pretty heavily. Throw in a little chlorine after each soak and all is well. If I didn't use it as often, I'd look in to the bromine because of the ability to auto-dose the water by using a floater. Not sure if anybody told you this, but don't, under any circumstances, use chlorine tabs in a hot tub. It's probably trichlor and not suitable for a hot tub.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 10:53:28 am »
I also use a chlorine solution that involves me throwing in a pre-measured dissolvable packet after each use, or every couple of days.

Hmm, not heard of this at all,I would worry about dissolvable packets residue sticking to filters, but I'll admit to knowing nothing about them.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

JohnnyK45

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 12:18:27 pm »
not heard of this at all,I would worry about dissolvable packets residue sticking to filters

I've only cleaned my filters once, yesterday actually (as I bought two new ones and will be doing the swap out and rotate method), and didn't notice any kind of plastic debris, etc.  I turn the jets on high for just a few minutes and throw one in the middle of the tub.  At first, you see it kind of rupture out the chlorine/sanitizer mix slowly, then it just all disappears as it moves around the water - about 10-15 seconds if I had to guess.  Everything is good on the test strip readings, so I don't bother too much with those anymore.  So, it's my monthly bottle of their natural stuff, then just the packets.  Should note, my tub is 250 gal, which is what one packet is good for; so a larger spa may need two of course.

Shot below shows the size of the packets, they're fairly small.

vangoghsear

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:23:34 pm »
I use Nature2 and 6% Chlorine Clorox.  I used Dichlor for about 3 weeks to build up CYA then switched to Clorox.  I let the Dichlor go too long so I have to use more Clorox than I would if I stopped it sooner, but I'm still good with a couple oz. a day for 280 gallons (I use the tub about an hour to two hours every day).  Unscented 6% Clorox is a registered sanitizer for pools and spas.  Going on 3 months and no problems.  I throw a couple oz. in every night then check it in the morning it's always in the good for spa range (probably more than I need with the Nature2, but I use the thing a lot).

vangoghsear

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 12:28:13 pm »
And if so, do I need to drain the brominated water and start fresh with Chlorine?
thanks,
Tony P
I'm not an expert, so someone else verify this, but you do not want to mix chlorine and bromine.  You may even have to flush the lines first.  Again, I'm not expert.  Someone else should weigh in on this.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 04:48:00 pm »
I changed from bromine to chlorine and am very happy with it. Read my post bromine v chlorine

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,15711.0.html

Whirlpool Wes

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 09:28:04 pm »
Go with chlorine. Bromine tends to smell and is older technology believed to work better in hot water. Bromine is more corrosive and premeasured tablets make dosage more difficult in dealing with heavy bather loads, spills in the spa from beverages, friends using lotions, etc. A granular chlorine dissolves instantly, allows you to manage the amount exactly, and doesn't require a floater. I would highly suggest a mineral stick sanitizer to supplement chlorine as you can run lower levels. Today's higher end spas do not even need to retain a constant chlorine residual due to ozone, uv-c germicidal lights, etc. They only require a weekly shock.

planetary

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 01:31:30 am »
I changed from bromine to chlorine and am very happy with it. Read my post bromine v chlorine

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,15711.0.html

Nice post, that.  I appreciate the deail!  I've got about 50 Chrome tabs open, and I'm reading through tons of recent-ish threads on water chemistry and methods, as I try to decide myself what approach to use and what chemicals to buy.

chem geek

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 04:40:58 pm »
I'm not an expert, so someone else verify this, but you do not want to mix chlorine and bromine.  You may even have to flush the lines first.  Again, I'm not expert.  Someone else should weigh in on this.
There is no problem using chlorine to activate more bromine in a bromine spa.  It's just that once you have converted a spa to bromine, you can't go back to chlorine without a water change.  Any chlorine you add will convert bromide to bromine.

vangoghsear

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 04:56:07 pm »
Thanks for the correction Chem Geek.

FL Person

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 01:33:34 pm »
There is no problem using chlorine to activate more bromine in a bromine spa.  It's just that once you have converted a spa to bromine, you can't go back to chlorine without a water change.  Any chlorine you add will convert bromide to bromine.

Sorry to beat a dead horse here but I would like to clarify;  I'm using Bromine tabs in a floater to maintain my spa since I travel for long periods at a time.

The spa repair guy just left (replacing the heater in my new Bullfrog R6) and told me I should simply add a cup of bleach once a week.  I told him I'm using Bromine, not Chlorine.  He said that's fine, just add a cup of bleach once a week and continue to use the Bromine floater.

This seems to be in line with the quoted advice above but just to be crystal clear;  is a cup of bottled household bleach the same as using "chlorine?"

Thanks.

FL Person
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:35:14 am by FL Person »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 01:33:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42