What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What's your opinion on an Artesian 864L?  (Read 3899 times)

rrack

What's your opinion on an Artesian 864L?
« on: September 08, 2016, 10:54:30 am »
We are looking to replace our ancient Coleman tub with a slightly used Artesian 864L that I found locally.  The seller told me that it's about 4 years old and the heater element went out.  Instead of repairing it, he decided to replace it with a brand new tub.  Anyway, it is now completely disconnected sitting in his driveway waiting for a buyer.  I went to take a look and it visibly looks fine.  However, I'm taking his word for it.  I'm going to contact the dealer that serviced it to see if there are any other issues.  Are there any common issues with Artesians that I should be aware of?

I replaced our element over 10 years ago and it's simple so I'm thinking it might be a deal at about $800ish if he'll take it.  His HOA want's it gone yesterday.  Oh and by the way... the pillows are real pricey.  Does anyone know of any generic pillows for the Artesian spas that will be a match?  I think I need two plus the waterfall pillow. Each looks like they run $40-$50 each for a piece of foam.

Thanks much,
Robert

Hot Tub Forum

What's your opinion on an Artesian 864L?
« on: September 08, 2016, 10:54:30 am »

Sam

Re: What's your opinion on an Artesian 864L?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 01:29:30 pm »
That's a well made hot tub with middle of the road features.  $800 would be a very good deal if it works.  How long has it been empty?  Have there been any freezing temperatures since then?  I'd be a little nervous without seeing it up and running.  The first thing I would do if you buy it is to fill and fire, then do a system flush. 

There are no real common issues with Artesian that I know of.  They are extremely well made spas.  I would definitely put one in my own backyard without a second thought.

As far as I know, the pillows are only available through an Artesian dealer.  They are way overpriced for sure.

rrack

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 02:47:40 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  He said that he just recently emptied it and it's rare to have any hard freezes down here in San Antonio.  Same thoughts here... Get it home ASAP and crank it up.  Trying to get some volunteers to get it home but I may need to hire some guys.  I haven't really seen any negative reviews.  Also just got off the phone from the dealer that sold it to him... It's right at 4 years old and they never had any issues other than the element.  I had already spoken to him and he'd gladly take $1000.  I'm hoping between the HOA hounding him and the extra costs of pillows and moving it, he'll go lower.  Fingers crossed.

Sam

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 06:51:30 pm »
Even at $1k I'd still do it, fyi.  Hell, $2k is probably still fair since it's only 4 years old.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 07:42:00 pm »
Maybe you can pay him half until you get it up and functioning?
Retired

rrack

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 07:45:40 pm »
Ha.  Yup.  Just confirmed for $1,000 and we're picking it up Monday.  I'd go grab it tomorrow if I could get some friends to help get it but the beer tab would probably be more than the mover guys so Monday it is.  Also just found out that it has the built in stereo... Probably not that great from what I've read.  We have outdoor sound anyway. I highly recommend OutdoorSpeakerDepot.com if anyone wants some amazing sound.  I think I have 4 of the AP640s.  Thanks for the info and encouragement.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 10:08:40 pm »
If it's only a heater and a couple of pillows then you got a real good deal.

DKRanger22

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 11:27:16 pm »
No doubt, great deal!  Keep us posted on your progress and be sure to post up a pic or 2 once you're up and running!

rrack

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 05:01:07 pm »
Well... The seller contacted me this afternoon asking if I had the tub picked up this morning!  I said no!  I scheduled it for Monday!  He said that he came home from a doctors office visit and someone came by with a flatbed and talked to his wife.  They asked how much...She said $1,000 (my price) and she sold it to them! JHC!  Why didn't the dude tell his wife the details! She thought it was me getting it! Just pisses me off!  >:( It was a gift for my wife's birthday next week and kids were so excited to get a new "winter pool".

I guaranfrickentee it was the puke that I found on Craigslist to move it for me Monday!  He is the only one that knew the address and knew he had to grab it before Monday.  I called the @#$%.  He denied.  I asked if he rehabs em and he got nervous and said sometimes.   I'm going to pull the LPs from the guard shack since I'm actually a CSI.  I do this stuff all day long.  Nothing criminal but, I HATE DISHONESTY!  I'll find out who it was!  I'm actually curious if he's READING THIS NOW!

Oh well...back to patching this ancient Coleman.  Can't find a skimmer door for the life of me.  Plus when turning on the heater the darn pump doesn't turn on.  I must switch it to continuous operation.  Any ideas?  I might start a new thread for these issues and post a pic of the odd sized weir door.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 11:03:22 pm »
The relay between the heater and the pump fail?
Retired

rrack

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 09:35:56 am »
I don't think there's really any relays in there.  I need to tear into it this weekend.  Basically, when you turn the temp up you can hear the thermostat click the solenoid and it starts heating... But no pump.  You can hear the water start to boil in there then I must switch on the pump to continuous flo.  It's so ancient that it's all mechanical and no boards.  I think there's three or four solenoid switchers in there.  The main function I replaced due to broken teeth years ago.  I'm wondering if I have a wire crossed.  It's just so confusing to trace all these wires with no schematic.  I figure I'll keep her going until I find another deal... Or win the lotto

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 09:35:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42