What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Few Questions about Jacuzzi J-385... and Salt?!  (Read 4497 times)

mraneri

Few Questions about Jacuzzi J-385... and Salt?!
« on: May 15, 2016, 09:51:57 pm »
Hey everyone.  My first post!!  Been reading many posts here during the research phase of our hot tub experience.
We looked at many tubs from many manufacturers...

Seem to be settling on a J-385.  Seems to be a great tub.  We are getting quoted about $10k (before tax) for the tub, with steps, cover lifter, delivery and placement.  Seems like a reasonable price, but I'm interested to hear from those that know whether we are doing ok in that regard.

I have a question about salt, actually.  My son has skin issues and has been taking saltwater baths in the bathtub which helps.  I don't want to get into a discussion about the medical benefits of saltwater baths, and skin conditions, and hot water.  I am not looking for salt to create sanitizer.  Just for the skin benefit.  (And really only need salt during the summer months.  So I wouldn't add salt to the fills in the fall and winter.)

Does anyone see any issue with adding salt at ~1500PPM (similar to what is recommended with the Sanitizer generating Salt systems out there for hot tubs)?  I know Jacuzzi doesn't do any salt systems with their tubs.  If many of the others can handle 1500PPM of salt in the water, shouldn't the Jacuzzi handle it as well?

We have this question into the dealer we would purchase from, and they are looking into whether something like this would void the warranty.  But I'm interested in second opinions...  (Even before I have the first opinion!)

Thoughts from other Jacuzzi dealers or spa experts?

(My thought is so many things can cause accelerated corrosion..  Low Hardness, Low pH, High Chlorine or Bromine...  etc..)

Appreciate any advice you can give.

- Mike

Hot Tub Forum

Few Questions about Jacuzzi J-385... and Salt?!
« on: May 15, 2016, 09:51:57 pm »

Chris_H

Re: Few Questions about Jacuzzi J-385... and Salt?!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 02:37:13 am »
Jacuzzi isn't designed to have salt in the spa. I'd be concerned on long term performance, but likely wouldn't affect warranty.  Have you looked at Hot Spring where their spa is designed to have salt?

mraneri

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 11:21:22 am »
Chris,  Thanks for the reply.

We've checked many different brands, including Hot Spring.  We looked at HS Pulse which is about all we can afford (at our local HS dealer) and it just wasn't that comfortable for us.  We are having a hard time finding the right combination of fit, features, and quality in tubs that offer a salt option.  That's what started me thinking to ditch the idea of using salt to generate sanitizer, and just add a little salt for the skin effects.  This opens the field up quite a bit.

d00nut

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 11:55:52 am »
If you're talking using Epsom salt, 1500ppm isn't going to be enough to have any kind of affect on your skin.  Plus, that's quite a bit of salt to pour in a J-385.  At least 6 lbs worth?

The HSS Salt system uses 1750 ppm, but it's sole purpose is to be used as a conductor for the water (and obviously used for the creation of chlorine.)  Even at 1750, you cannot taste it.  Epsom salt I would imagine needs to be at least around 3000 ppm or more to be useful.  And at that, you will certainly destroy your components.  I wouldn't recommend it :(  I'm sorry mraneri!

P.S.  Looking at the J-300 warranty, I wouldn't be surprised if it voided the warranty:

This Limited Warranty is void if Jacuzzi Hot Tubs (the “Manufacturer”) or its designated representative determines that the spa has been subjected to damage or failure due to installation of aftermarket parts that are not Genuine Jacuzzi branded Parts & Accessories. This disclaimer includes, but is not limited to filters, UV-C bulbs, ozone systems, repair parts and other accessories. Genuine Jacuzzi brand Parts & Accessories are built to our highest standards of quality, durability and performance, and they are designed to work with your Spa to ensure optimal performance and function.

mraneri

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 12:07:26 pm »
If you're talking using Epsom salt, 1500ppm isn't going to be enough to have any kind of affect on your skin.  Plus, that's quite a bit of salt to pour in a J-385.  At least 6 lbs worth?
We have been struggling with his skin for years.  The only thing that relieves the issue is exposure to a salt water pool (concentration ~3000-4000PPM).  An hour or so every few days over the course of a week vacation cleared his skin for a MONTH..  That's why we were hoping 1500PPM on a more continual basis can help him.  (This salt water exposure has had the same effect on him over 3 years, so we don't think it's a coincidence.)

We figured roughly 6lbs of Sodium Chloride (Not Epsom salt) to get to 1000-1500PPM since that's what worked in the pool for him (though this would be half to 1/3 the concentration.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:10:34 pm by mraneri »

bud16415

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 12:45:43 pm »
I’m no expert on salt but know several people that converted their tubs to salt and use something like the saltron mini to generate sanitizer and they all installed them in non salt equipped tubs. That level of salt seems like a lot but it is less than in a tear and way less than sweat.

If that level would help him I don’t know but a lesser level only greater usage might do the trick. I talked to my dealer I own a Caldera about switching to salt and he never said I couldn’t. I’m actually still thinking about it as I had major problems with bromine and an allergy.

My friends that use salt always talk about how good their skin feels with it in the water and how easy a system it is to control with the little generator that has a timer.

I wouldn’t add salt and not make my chlorine out of it though.   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 12:45:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42