What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My New, Used 2013 Sundance Cameo 880  (Read 9431 times)

flipflopper

My New, Used 2013 Sundance Cameo 880
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:26:04 am »
I just picked this beauty up for $3,400 off of Craigslist and that included 6 EZ Pads (that will get resold on Craigslist eventually), a big box of chemical supplies, a hot tub umbrella, hot tub railing that slides under tub, and plastic steps. I got to see it running at the seller's end and I wet tested the Optima (no lounger) model in the store before I bought this one. I was on the fence about new vs. used so I was legitimately thinking about buying new so I don't feel bad about wasting the dealer's time. But I ultimately decided that the $8,000-9,000 I could save on this tub over its newer twin can buy a whole lot of parts to keep it running. And getting a lounger was to boot! (I love those things)

The movers got it to my backyard where they put it on the EZ Pads that came with it. I'm going to pour a concrete pad immediately next to it and then just rotate it and slide it off the pads and onto the concrete with the help of a few neighbor buddies who are eager to get in it  8)

I've got $200+ in supplies coming from Amazon and my permits are all ready to go. I'm just waiting for a break in the action of my life to dig and pour the pad and run the electrical. Once that happens and I pass my inspections, my wife no longer needs to hear why we really need a hot tub as we'll finally have one ;D

I'll post finished pictures when it's all done. Once installed, cleaned, disinfected, and filled, the hot tub will be the center point for a revitalized backyard (see the wavy bricks? I've got my work cut out for me).

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:31:59 pm by flipflopper »

Hot Tub Forum

My New, Used 2013 Sundance Cameo 880
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:26:04 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: My New, Used 2013 Sundance Cameo 880
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 07:54:31 pm »
  3400 for that was a very good deal in my opinion!    Good going  ;)   Why were they selling it?

richierich

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 05:58:56 pm »
That was a great find. Soon you will be enjoying your virtually new spa.  I have a 2013 Optima so it's going on 3 years now and the spa looks and works great. Had a flow switch replaced under warranty. That's the only problem so far. Once again enjoy your spa.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 07:30:42 am »
Looks great, hope it works out for you.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

flipflopper

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 09:31:19 am »
@Jacuzzi Jim

The seller had bought the house and it came with the tub. The seller thought tubs were the most disgusting thing on the planet and would never get in one. But she was pretty sharp to keep water in it and up with the chemicals so prospective buyers could see it running. So many sellers who inherit them this way seem to drain them right away with little regard to temperature or getting all the water out.  It's good she didn't use it as there were issues with the installation.

I talked to a lot of sellers of tubs on Craigslist and so many were attached to a certain price because they paid so much new. If I had to do this again, I'd just avoid that type of seller after one or two exchanges. Let the tub sit until/if they get realistic about price.

Nothing had been inspected and nothing was up to code. The tub was wired with aluminum wire over the whole run, the buried conduit was just the liquidtite stuff and only at about 6" depth. There had to be metal in the portico overhead within 4' of the spa that wasn't bonded. It was a real mess. Not code related, but the EZ Pads had really shifted slightly and the tub was probably not balanced as well as it should have been on its base despite looking flat enough. The movers said they dislike the EZ Pads as they are only meant to be temporary. They said that the vibrations from the tub over time allow the tub to sink down into the ground along with the pad. I saw some evidence of this in the installation.

I really ended up rescuing a spa that would have gone downhill fast. My good deed for the day  ;D

The movers were really impressed with the tub and condition as well. They tried to tell me that their Premium Liesure line that they sell out of the warehouse was an equal tub at less than half the cost thanks to no overhead but I just smiled back at them with no response. I really came to like the Sundance lines once I started looking.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 04:07:02 pm by flipflopper »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 08:45:17 pm »
Some slightly overpriced proprietary parts but SD makes a comfy powerful reliable tub.
Retired

twodogs02

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 11:49:20 pm »
Congrats - really like the exterior color of that spa.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 11:49:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42