What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help me choose. Marquis, sundance or caldera 2-3 person  (Read 8206 times)

ssteve

Help me choose. Marquis, sundance or caldera 2-3 person
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:09:25 pm »
Looking at 2-3 person tubs with a lounge, and after dry testing a bunch I have narrowed it down to these three.

Marquis e322. Dealer has a floor model for $5200 with cover, step & 3 month chemicals.
http://www.marquisspas.com/hot-tubs/models/e-series/the-322-hot-tub/

Caldera Kauai with same equipment as above but not a floor model. $6400
http://www.calderaspas.com/shop/paradise/kauai

Sundance 780 series dover with same equipment as above for $6700
http://www.sundancespas.com/780series/2-person-hot-tub/

To be honest they all feel very very similar and I like all three. For that reason I am somewhat leaning towards the Marquis 322 simply for the price. Another aspect though is the caldera can be financed for 36 months at 0%. I would surely pay it before then but its nice to know its there. I always like barrow at 0%. nit picking them all the sundance tub is surly a well built piece though, I just don't know if its $1500 better built than the marquis tub.

Any insight would surely help.

Hot Tub Forum

Help me choose. Marquis, sundance or caldera 2-3 person
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:09:25 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Help me choose. Marquis, sundance or caldera 2-3 person
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:19:23 pm »
don't know if this matters to you but the Caldera is 220V while the others are convertible.  Mainly that means the Caldera has a bigger pump/stronger jets.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 08:37:37 pm »
don't know if this matters to you but the Caldera is 220V while the others are convertible.  Mainly that means the Caldera has a bigger pump/stronger jets.

Sort of a true statement. The marquis is not convertible. It either comes standard with a mp120 pump or the upgrade able mp160 pump. The 120 is a 120v only the 160 is 240 volt only. Either way that tub has a good amount of power. That's also a good price on that tub

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 08:55:39 pm »
 All 3 good choices.   The Sundance and Caldera both have circ pumps.  I like the length of the Caldera better though. That being said the filtration and the higher flow "non magnetic" circ pump on the Sundance is really good.   The warranty on the Caldera and the Sundance are pretty much the same, didn't see what it was on the Marquis. 

Marquis wise I like the length but not sure I like the lounge layout as much as the other two..   If it's a 5 year parts and plumbing like the others, the Marquis it would be alright.    For me, because I like the Circ pump and Filtration on the Sundance which also offers the Clear Ray system I would probably go with it.   Tough choice either way..

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 09:20:52 pm »
3 years parts on the Marquis jim. To me the caldera and marquis are very similar layouts and the sundance is different. Personally I like deeper tubs but the 322 is pretty comfortable and powerful on the 110 version. It really pushes water hard on the 220 version

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 09:22:13 pm »
The extra warranty is why those tubs are priced more. All 3 are good choices

ssteve

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 09:28:41 pm »
The marquis dealer said it was either 110 or 220. Any of the tubs I get will be run on 220 since I'm already wired for it.

Does a circulation pump really help much?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 09:48:58 pm »
The marquis dealer said it was either 110 or 220. Any of the tubs I get will be run on 220 since I'm already wired for it.

Does a circulation pump really help much?

Correct but it has to be done prior to installation.  Circa pumps can be good or bad depending on who you ask. I wouldn't let that be the reason to purchase or not purchase a tub

ssteve

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 10:19:24 pm »
Would someone care to throw the pros and cons out for me?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 11:45:30 pm »
Pros- water is moving 24/7 so the ozone is more effective. Can sometimes be a quieter tub to operate. Might be more energy efficient by pennies a day in colder environments

Cons-  usually the first component to need replacing.  Water typically sucks from the middle of the water so even know it's circulating and running 24/7 it doesn't necessarily translate to cleaner water. Marquis system will come in on low speed 4-6 hours per day in that size tub and should make the water as clear as any tub with a circ pump.

I sell tubs with both and don't really get into circ pumps as much because to me both systems run fine. I sell more marquis then the tubs I sell with circ pumps. Have you wet tested any of the tubs?  That would be my top priority over circ pump versus non circ pump. All 3 tubs you are looking at are great tubs and I'm sure you will be happy with whichever you choose. Circ pump to me us way down on my list of priorities when I sell a tub. It should come down to meeting your needs, quality and fit in the particular tub you are purchasing. We as dealers are always going to recommend what we sell but in my opinion you can't go wrong with any of these tubs. All made by longstanding companies who have great reputations in this industry.

ssteve

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 12:10:39 am »
Thanks for the info. Gonna go look at a couple second hand tubs tomorrow. If I don't fall in love with a used tub I'll start setting up wet tests.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 12:23:52 am »
What are you looking at for used tubs?

ssteve

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 12:58:13 am »
There's a sundance Capri that looks to be in great shape for $2400 locally and a master spas twilight series little two person triangle for about $1200 that I'm looking at. The Capri would be great. The triangle would be settling but in reality it's all I really need.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 01:00:48 am »
Capri might be a good bet. Master probably not. They aren't the best made. Average quality at best

ssteve

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 01:12:32 am »
Good to know. I'll steer clear of the master then.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 01:12:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42