What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bullfrog R6L 1 pump  (Read 21817 times)

Compatico

Re: Bullfrog R6L 1 pump
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2016, 10:23:06 am »
Not quite...a circ pump is typically about 1 amp (230w) and a jet pump is about 4 amps (920w) on low which is used for filter cycles. Do the math and the circ pump will draw about 150% more power over a 24 hour period vs 4 hour filter cycle (5520 vs 3680). In my area we're blessed (sarcasm) with a hydro company that bills us too much during the day but less at night. I intend to set up filter cycles to run during "off peak" hours and save even more over the 24/7 circ pump.

But you forgot to calculate jet pump run time between filter cycles to maintain heat. Which you won't have on a circ pump tub.
Oh so the circ pump goes through the heater element? Are you sure about that because the flow rate would be very low causing the water to heat about 4x higher in the same chamber and contact time compared to a jet pump pushing the water through the heater?

(EDIT) just googled and it seems the circ pump does push water through the heater.

I'm sure the cycling of a jet pump to heat would still be in that 50% extra range though, so you might still break even for usage. If not I'm guessing it would be close enough to not be a major factor.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:01:50 am by Compatico »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2016, 10:23:06 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2016, 07:42:24 pm »
Not quite...a circ pump is typically about 1 amp (230w) and a jet pump is about 4 amps (920w) on low which is used for filter cycles. Do the math and the circ pump will draw about 150% more power over a 24 hour period vs 4 hour filter cycle (5520 vs 3680). In my area we're blessed (sarcasm) with a hydro company that bills us too much during the day but less at night. I intend to set up filter cycles to run during "off peak" hours and save even more over the 24/7 circ pump.

But you forgot to calculate jet pump run time between filter cycles to maintain heat. Which you won't have on a circ pump tub.
Oh so the circ pump goes through the heater element? Are you sure about that because the flow rate would be very low causing the water to heat about 4x higher in the same chamber and contact time compared to a jet pump pushing the water through the heater?

(EDIT) just googled and it seems the circ pump does push water through the heater.

I'm sure the cycling of a jet pump to heat would still be in that 50% extra range though, so you might still break even for usage. If not I'm guessing it would be close enough to not be a major factor.

The circ pump is really valuable if sound is an issue for whatever reason (on a deck, next to a bedroom, close to the neighbor...) since it so much quieter and if you have ozone it allows it to run 24/7.

Its also less expensive to run that the 2 speed pump as TMan noted earlier but I agree with you that part shouldn't be enough of a cost savings to be a major difference.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2016, 07:47:53 pm »
If not I'm guessing it would be close enough to not be a major factor.

I think this was mentioned a couple posts in.
Retired

red2play

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2016, 09:28:14 pm »
I love my BullFrog.  I have the R6L and as others have stated, you don't use diverter valves, you can simply turn off anything you don't use.  My wife likes the rainfall one but I like the neck massager and the Cascadia we both like.  Its perfect for me because its completely customizable and its not like your going to keep adjusting.  You adjust once (unless your picky) and it should work just fine without any more adjustments.  Its NOT like an android.  There aren't any quirks or anything difficult, you simply twist the knob on your choice of massage to your desired pressure.  I do turn off the rainfall one when I want a hard neck massage. 

I know when I wet tested the other spas, they didn't seem as powerful.  Even when they had two pumps.  The diverter knob only shut off one side but when I wanted to, I could shut off ALL of the other pumps to make it blast out (that's not the case anymore). 

However, a couple of points:

1.  Don't let anyone sit on the filter cover, mine broke because my daughter would keep sitting on it.
2.  I find myself only using the customized jets, I don't use the built in ones (maybe that's why I think its more powerful).  I rarely have guests in my spa as I don't trust many to be 'clean' or follow directions and since I'm normally the only one or its just me and my wife, we don't need the built in ones.  When you wet test, be SURE to turn off all built in jets as you won't need them 90% of the time unless you party every week.
3.  Be sure to ask the salesperson how much work that you think your going to put in for cleaning and water balance (this is for any spa) so they can recommend a system for clean water that will match your willingness to work on the spa.

Oh yeah:

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,17507.0.html

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 10:22:16 pm »
I love my BullFrog.  I have the R6L and as others have stated, you don't use diverter valves, you can simply turn off anything you don't use.  My wife likes the rainfall one but I like the neck massager and the Cascadia we both like.  Its perfect for me because its completely customizable and its not like your going to keep adjusting.  You adjust once (unless your picky) and it should work just fine without any more adjustments.  Its NOT like an android.  There aren't any quirks or anything difficult, you simply twist the knob on your choice of massage to your desired pressure.  I do turn off the rainfall one when I want a hard neck massage. 

I know when I wet tested the other spas, they didn't seem as powerful.  Even when they had two pumps.  The diverter knob only shut off one side but when I wanted to, I could shut off ALL of the other pumps to make it blast out (that's not the case anymore). 

However, a couple of points:

1.  Don't let anyone sit on the filter cover, mine broke because my daughter would keep sitting on it.
2.  I find myself only using the customized jets, I don't use the built in ones (maybe that's why I think its more powerful).  I rarely have guests in my spa as I don't trust many to be 'clean' or follow directions and since I'm normally the only one or its just me and my wife, we don't need the built in ones.  When you wet test, be SURE to turn off all built in jets as you won't need them 90% of the time unless you party every week.
3.  Be sure to ask the salesperson how much work that you think your going to put in for cleaning and water balance (this is for any spa) so they can recommend a system for clean water that will match your willingness to work on the spa.

Oh yeah:

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,17507.0.html

Do you ever turn the jets on you don't use?  I would just to purge all the lines so nasty stuff doesn't start building up in there

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2016, 10:36:37 pm »
The poster needs to find out what they like. What someone else likes won't matter one iota to the OP.
Retired

Beverley

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2018, 08:33:57 am »
We just ordered an A6L and had the option to add a second jet pump.  It is apparently new for 2018.  Will let you know how it works out.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2018, 12:38:59 pm »
We just ordered an A6L and had the option to add a second jet pump.  It is apparently new for 2018.  Will let you know how it works out.

Great, your thoughts will be welcome.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

DJJ

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2018, 03:57:25 pm »
I just purchased an R5 and love it. I have to turn the jet packs down because I find the pressure from the pumps to be almost too much.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2018, 03:57:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42