What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bullfrog R6L 1 pump  (Read 21596 times)

Compatico

Bullfrog R6L 1 pump
« on: March 01, 2016, 09:14:16 pm »
Hello everyone;

We're shopping around for a new tub and have been researching several brands including Bullfrog. We like the idea of customizing the tub the way we want, the lack of wood in the frame, and the 1-piece base that can be placed on several types of pads (no room to get concrete poured in the back easily). We plan to wet test before buying but it's over an hour drive to a dealer so we haven't tried one yet. We like loungers and the size of the R6L which is the same size as the last tub we had. It's just me and the wife most of the time, so we don't really need a 7 or 8 series.

I just have one question for any owners of the Bullfrog A or R series tubs with just the 1 pump - is it lacking power since the tub only has the 1 pump?

Thanks for any feedback,
Bill

Hot Tub Forum

Bullfrog R6L 1 pump
« on: March 01, 2016, 09:14:16 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Bullfrog R6L 1 pump
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 09:26:53 pm »
Any closer dealers? There's plenty of good tubs out there.
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 09:36:44 pm »
Lots of tubs have bases like that. I sell marquis and we sell the e435 where if you put 1 pump in its  lacking but when you add a second pump it rocks. E435 is similar in size and jet count

d00nut

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 09:58:33 pm »
I've tried that tub out.  Keep in mind, Bullfrog doesn't have any diverter valves, so in order to get to the pressure you want, you will probably have to turn off a jet pak, maybe two depending on how much power you want out of the jets.  It's literally the same as diverting the pressure from one side of the spa to the other on any other brand.  Having them all one is like having the diverter in the middle position (not as strong as I would like.)

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 10:06:50 pm »
I've tried that tub out.  Keep in mind, Bullfrog doesn't have any diverter valves, so in order to get to the pressure you want, you will probably have to turn off a jet pak, maybe two depending on how much power you want out of the jets.  It's literally the same as diverting the pressure from one side of the spa to the other on any other brand.  Having them all one is like having the diverter in the middle position (not as strong as I would like.)
Is that tub available with dual pumps?

Compatico

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 11:49:12 pm »
Yes there are several dealers in our area, but many of them do not sell what we want. We have some specific requirements that have narrowed our choices and they are deal-breakers if not included, like a lounger, durable base for easier placement, no circ pump, no ozone, side/footwell lighting only no perimeter lights at the waterline, shell NOT made in China, open footwell, etc. We have looked at all the major brands (Arctic, Beachcomber, Dim One, Hot Spring, Hydropool, Jacuzzi, Marquis, Sundance, etc.) and before making the final purchase, we definitely will be wet-testing the finalists. I don't mind driving to find what I want...just curious if anyone has first hand experience.

Compatico

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 12:09:33 am »
That's what concerns us with the single pump, not enough pressure. Other than jet pressure, it's at the top of the list right now as we can get it the way we want. Something I've noticed is the next model up R7L has 2 pumps but it also has twice the fixed jets plus another jetpak to power. From simple visual clues, it has nearly twice as many jets to power - max of 136 vs 190 and of them there are more larger fixed jets. I'm hoping they designed the single pump model with that in mind to maintain decent power. But as you say, the jetpaks can be adjusted...so we'll have to wait till we wet-test to be sure.
 :)

Compatico

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 12:12:16 am »
Is that tub available with dual pumps?
No, the specs call for one 4.8 BHP pump and no option for a second. But it has a lot less jets than the next model up with 2 pumps, so it may be sized properly for decent pressure.

d00nut

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 12:13:41 am »
It is not good sir

meriflower

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 10:00:32 am »
Hi!  I'm an owner of this very same spa, Bullfrog R6L going on 3 problem-free years now. As for lacking power we don't think so, actually I prefer to use it on low speed vs high as I find it more soothing.  Of course there are different jetpaks that have different pressures i.e. gentle rain shower vs the neck blaster.  There are valves on some of the jetpaks themselves where you can turn up/down the water pressure.

Probably your best answer is when you go to wet test.  Make sure to try out as many jetpaks they have on hand.  We have the rain shower, neck blaster, and the oscillator.  It's just me and the spouse so there is plenty of room for 2 people.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 10:11:32 am by meriflower »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 11:12:16 am »
Yes there are several dealers in our area, but many of them do not sell what we want. We have some specific requirements that have narrowed our choices and they are deal-breakers if not included, like a lounger, durable base for easier placement, no circ pump, no ozone, side/footwell lighting only no perimeter lights at the waterline, shell NOT made in China, open footwell, etc. We have looked at all the major brands (Arctic, Beachcomber, Dim One, Hot Spring, Hydropool, Jacuzzi, Marquis, Sundance, etc.) and before making the final purchase, we definitely will be wet-testing the finalists. I don't mind driving to find what I want...just curious if anyone has first hand experience.

I can't recall someone's requirements including "no ozone" and using that to exclude any choices. Its typically either the customer wants it or they don't know anything about it but this sounds like someone has told you that you should avoid it. In the end if for whatever reason you don't want ozone you don't need to exclude all those that have it, all you'd need to do is ask the dealer to unplug it if you were to chose a brand that has it.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

d00nut

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 02:04:55 pm »
That's what concerns us with the single pump, not enough pressure. Other than jet pressure, it's at the top of the list right now as we can get it the way we want. Something I've noticed is the next model up R7L has 2 pumps but it also has twice the fixed jets plus another jetpak to power. From simple visual clues, it has nearly twice as many jets to power - max of 136 vs 190 and of them there are more larger fixed jets. I'm hoping they designed the single pump model with that in mind to maintain decent power. But as you say, the jetpaks can be adjusted...so we'll have to wait till we wet-test to be sure.
 :)

I just tried out the Bullfrog STIL the other day, which is basically the same type of spa as an A6/R6.  Again, I have to turn off at least one Jet Pak to get the pressure I want.  I love the Oscillator jet Pak, if I turn off two Jet Paks, that pressure is to much for me.  Bullfrog is like an Android phone, you have absolute control on how something feels and how you want to arrange it. 

pmang

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 04:28:58 pm »
This tub was high on my list when I was shopping. Same as you, I had concern about the one pump and not enough power. I did wet test it. Yes, it was acceptable when you shut off one or two jet packs but when they were all on I found it much too weak. I ended up with a Hot Springs Aria which I'm very happy with. Although, even with two pumps in my tub, I constantly play with the diverter valve to get max pressure in the seat I want to use. This Bullfrog was still in my top 5 when I finished shopping for my needs but wasn't my favorite.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 05:10:03 pm »
This tub was high on my list when I was shopping. Same as you, I had concern about the one pump and not enough power. I did wet test it. Yes, it was acceptable when you shut off one or two jet packs but when they were all on I found it much too weak. I ended up with a Hot Springs Aria which I'm very happy with. Although, even with two pumps in my tub, I constantly play with the diverter valve to get max pressure in the seat I want to use. This Bullfrog was still in my top 5 when I finished shopping for my needs but wasn't my favorite.

So you compared a 1 pump spa to a 2 pump spa and went with the 2 pump becuase it had more pressure?  Go figure.. 

pmang

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 05:19:30 pm »
Why the attitude Jim? It was one of many that I looked at. I also considered the R7L... I was just giving my experience with the exact same concern the op had... geez....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 05:19:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42