What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Deterring Mice/Rodents  (Read 2651 times)

Piper Matt

Deterring Mice/Rodents
« on: October 04, 2018, 05:07:23 pm »
I’m a new tub owner here. We have a partially recessed hot tub in a concrete vault with excellent drainage, plenty of access space on all sides, and removable cedar decking on top. We called the exterminator to spray for ants and somebody suggested asking if he could do anything to deter/prevent mice and rodents from taking up inside the cabinet, particularly with winter coming.

Short of dryer sheets, does anyone have any good ideas or experience with this? And does frequency of use have anything to do with whether or not the cabinet is an attractive nesting place for them? We use the tub daily and I at least plan to continue doing so even after the weather turns.

Any horror stories about rodents taking residence?

Hot Tub Forum

Deterring Mice/Rodents
« on: October 04, 2018, 05:07:23 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Deterring Mice/Rodents
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 06:44:56 pm »
I’m a new tub owner here. We have a partially recessed hot tub in a concrete vault with excellent drainage, plenty of access space on all sides, and removable cedar decking on top. We called the exterminator to spray for ants and somebody suggested asking if he could do anything to deter/prevent mice and rodents from taking up inside the cabinet, particularly with winter coming.

Short of dryer sheets, does anyone have any good ideas or experience with this? And does frequency of use have anything to do with whether or not the cabinet is an attractive nesting place for them? We use the tub daily and I at least plan to continue doing so even after the weather turns.

Any horror stories about rodents taking residence?

If there is any access to the inside of your cabinet from the outside plug it. Sticky traps in your vault.
Retired

Piper Matt

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 01:57:09 pm »
I'm worried that sticky traps in the vault would yield some unpleasant aromas!

Seriously, as a first time hot tub owner, I am wondering if this is a common problem I should try desperately to avoid or merely a bridge to cross should it become an issue down the road.  Any guidance? 

I have a Sundance Aspen if that makes any difference.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 07:54:25 pm »
  I live on 6 acres, I just set a trap or two loaded with peanut butter behind the spa.   Works pretty good, least I have never had a problem.  Bee's are another story.    This year I took a citronella candle and melted it.  Then used a paper towel and rubbed the wax stuff on the cabinet where they usually go in and out, and I didn't get any.    Could be luck, who knows.  But I didn't get any this summer. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 08:41:01 pm »
  I live on 6 acres, I just set a trap or two loaded with peanut butter behind the spa.   Works pretty good, least I have never had a problem.  Bee's are another story.    This year I took a citronella candle and melted it.  Then used a paper towel and rubbed the wax stuff on the cabinet where they usually go in and out, and I didn't get any.    Could be luck, who knows.  But I didn't get any this summer.

Great idea, but they make spray also.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 09:16:55 pm »
 Deterrent spray or bee kill spray of which I know of?   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 09:16:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42