What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1st fill up on new Hot Springs Flair  (Read 6204 times)

norcaljeffery312

1st fill up on new Hot Springs Flair
« on: December 23, 2015, 12:18:10 am »
Just had my 1st spa delivered today  :)  I'm brand new to this and could use some friendly advice. I followed a hand out the dealer gave me and filled the tub, put the silver ion cartridge in the filter, added metal gon, and 2 tbsp of MPS. It's now heating. Should I add spa sanitizer 56 (chlorine)  ? It doesn't mention it on the dealers handout but my owners manual mentions it. Also, use test strips and bring ph up or down once water warms? My friend told me not to over think it but I just wanna be sure I'm doing this correctly. Thank you.

Hot Tub Forum

1st fill up on new Hot Springs Flair
« on: December 23, 2015, 12:18:10 am »

av8r

Re: 1st fill up on new Hot Springs Flair
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 06:58:36 am »
I'd fill it, let it get warm and take a water sample to a trusted dealer to test.

Also, buy a Taylor 2006 kit and dump the strips unless you'll have the dealer test your water frequently.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 08:02:48 am »
Congrats Jeff, those are always memorable days.    I've never heard of adding MPS before using the tub, not sure why would, but I definitely wouldn't add any sanitizer till after you use the tub since you already have the MPS in.   Don't overthink it is good advise, especially when trying to get the PH right.  Most products that change PH say to wait a period of time before adding more.  I always wait 48 hours after adjusting my PH to see the results. That way you don't end up chasing it up and down.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

amy2421

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 08:15:06 am »
Congrats on your new tub! :) Our dealer told us to wait a week after the first fill, bring in a water sample and adjust PH from there. We put in chlorine, Stain & Scale and Ultra Spa Conditioner at start up.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 09:46:02 pm »
Just to confuse the issue, yes, add some chlorine.  You want to clean the water from anything left over from the factory.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 07:02:27 am »
Just to confuse the issue, yes, add some chlorine.  You want to clean the water from anything left over from the factory.

I agree
Retired

norcaljeffery312

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 10:15:47 pm »
So I added chlorine. I cannot keep the FCL ppm up?  Since I'm using a silver ion cartridge and ozonator is that typical? Ive had the tub 5 days and have been adding about 1 TBP of MPS after each use. Using it a couple times a day, sometimes with 4 or 5 adults. Its small only about 385 gallons. Getting lots of foaming and milky water when jets are on. Too much MPS? Too little? MPS? Add more Chlorine? Im honestly ready to drain and refill but thinking I might be doing too much. Any input thanks

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 11:10:48 pm »
You add chlorine. A little? A lot? A teaspoon? A dump truck load?...and the Cl level drops quickly? Drops over a day? Over an hour? Over a year?

A lot of the foaming is probably from residual detergents in the swim suits plus personal hygiene products (make-up, hair care stuff, conditioner).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

norcaljeffery312

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 11:44:57 pm »
I put in a small amount? 2 tablespoons sodium dichloro initially. Then 1 tablespoon MPS 2/3 times a day after using it. I did throw in a tablespoon of dichloro here and there trying to get FCL up. From what I understand you "shock" with 2 TBL dichloro weekly and maintain with MPS because of the use of silver ion and ozone? Just got out, foaming still but FCL was still in 3-5ppm range after using. Im worried Im adding too much. Will antifoaming chemical help, ive read its just a temporary fix. Thanks in advance

norcaljeffery312

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 11:54:11 pm »
The water appears to have small bubbles, so much so its cloudy and you cannot see the lights when the jets are on. I dont remember this happening initially. When I turn the jets off the foam and bubble dissipate withing a couple minutes.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 10:26:48 pm »
It sounds to me like new hot tub owner extra heavy bather load. Right now you probably have high chlorine demand.  The MPS, ozone, Nature2 cannot keep up with your use.  Super chlorinate.  Wait 24 hours and test.  If no free chlorine, do it again.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

joelmaners

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 11:45:17 am »
I'd put in a little chlorine, maybe a tablespoon just to get you started. I usually put in a tablespoon per bather after each use. Ditto on getting a Taylor test kit. It's a bit pricey but you'll learn everything you need to know ad more about your particular water situation. After you get used to it, you'll be able to get by with just some test trips. Enjoy!

silverbullet

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 08:02:21 pm »
I'd fill it, let it get warm and take a water sample to a trusted dealer to test.

Also, buy a Taylor 2006 kit and dump the strips unless you'll have the dealer test your water frequently.

+1

A trusted dealer will work with you, help educate you in water management.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 08:02:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42